Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who should Treliving target as a potential replacement for Mike Smith?

Thought I’d bring up the list of some possibilities because Smith ain’t cutting it. Yes he’s has a shutout but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless Rittich is all of a sudden starter quality, here are best possible options.

Juuse Saros - Honestly I wasn’t even going to include him because it is a quintessential pipe dream, but lots of people mentioned him tonight. Great young netminder behind an aging vet. He’s going nowhere.

Scott Darling - Yes I know, awful awful year last year but apparently he had some personal issues that have been worked out and he was a guy with huge potential 2 years ago. Carolina is humming along with Mrazek and McBackup so I don’t think the acquisition cost would be huge as Carolina is probably looking to shed that contract. Have to send back salary to make it work though. They might take Smiths contract since it’s up after this season.

Phillip Grubauer - Varlamov has been sensational this year and Grubauer not so much, but like Darling, he was a goalie who looked real good the past few seasons with lots of potential. Colorado didn’t have to give up a lot to get him so I don’t think the cost would be astronomical.

Robin Lehner - Good numbers so far this year, younger guy with potential. He signed a cheap one year deal with the Islanders who are likely not playoff contenders so are only probably looking for mid level picks or prospects back.

Sergei Bobrovsky - Pending UFA who is currently being outplayed by the backup Korpisalo. Cost would be high but could be made cheaper if you can negotiate not including A-grade prospects or picks unless he agrees to an extension. Would need the wizard to work his magic.

Joonas Korpisalo - On the flip side if Columbus can workout an extension for Bobrovsky, Korpisalo might be available. Huge acquisition cost though.

Cory Schnieder - Kinkaid has apparently stolen the starter role and Schneider still has 3 years left on his deal after this season so NJ may be looking to shed that contract. Didn’t have a great regular season but was phenomenal in the playoffs last year. Only 32 years old.

Jaroslav Halak - He’s actually out-performing Rask right now but you have to think Rask will turn it around. Is on a pretty cheap 2 year deal but did not look great in New York last year.

Darcy Kuemper - Surprisingly both Arizona goalies have good numbers but as a team they are lottery bound so I’m sure they’re looking for more picks/prospects. Raanta is signed long term and cost a bit to acquire so I don’t think they be looking to trade him.

Tristan Jarry - Kind of a Kipperesque situation. 3rd stringer on a strong team, decent NHL numbers, good AHL numbers. A major dice roll but would not cost an arm and a leg.

Craig Anderson - Bad numbers so far this year but historically good. Same age as Smith though. I don’t really see him as an upgrade.

Jimmy Howard - Decent bounce back year last year and the year before but has looked god awful so far this year. UFA after this year so cost would be low. Only a couple years younger than Smith though.

Left out Carey Price who is playing well and Montreal is surpassingly good so far, but I know people have brought up his name before. Really can’t see that happening though.

Who am I missing?

Last edited by MisterJoji; 10-19-2018 at 10:41 PM.
MisterJoji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MisterJoji For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aaron Dell could be another option, but he plays for a division rival. He's also older.

Varlamov looks like he could win the Vezina this year. Grubauer could potentially be flipped.

I'm still upset the Flames didn't sign Lehner this summer. He has always had pretty strong numbers. He ended up signing for next to nothing.

I don't actually think Korpisalo would cost a ton to acquire. He's good, but he's not Saros - good.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lundqvist. Rongos will be rebuilding and I could see him wanting out to chase a cup maybe. Plus he’s either cheaper or better than everyone else available. Cap would be an issue of course but cheap, good #1s are never traded.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Lundqvist. Rongos will be rebuilding and I could see him wanting out to chase a cup maybe. Plus he’s either cheaper or better than everyone else available. Cap would be an issue of course but cheap, good #1s are never traded.
Without doing further research, isn't he making like $10 million/year?
I feel like he's being paid a huge amount.

*Edit* 8.5/year cap hit for another 2 seasons after this year.
I would take him, but he would have to be cheap to acquire.

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 10-19-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dell, Samsonov, ullmark or ukko-pekka lukkonen or whatever their names are, fucale or subban...

The list goes on and on, I'm sure some team could be persuaded to make a trade
Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post

I didn’t include him because even if we swapped Smith for Lundqvist (plus additional assets obviously) we’d still need to clear 6 million of cap space. With Tkachuk and Bennett needing an extension next year, I don’t see how that possible unless New York retains a significant portion.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
fucale

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe give Kari Lehtonen a shot? He had a better season in Dallas last year in 36 games. A lot of these guys are likely unattainable without giving up our first. May have to think outside the box?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Dell, Samsonov, ullmark or ukko-pekka lukkonen or whatever their names are, fucale or subban...

The list goes on and on, I'm sure some team could be persuaded to make a trade

Dell is possible but he’s a perfect backup behind Jones. Unless San Jose continues to falter, it’s pretty unlikely.

Ullmark or Luukkonen are interesting. Both blue chip prospects. Ullmark is more proven so he would cost a tonne and Luukonen is still at least 2 years away.

Fucale has fallen off a cliff, he’s terrible.

With Fleury getting up there, I don’t see the need for Vegas to part with Subban.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #10
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The kid is still only 23 and I still think theres potential....not a lot, but potential nonetheless!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who should Treliving target as a potential replacement for Mike Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Maybe give Kari Lehtonen a shot? He had a better season in Dallas last year in 36 games. A lot of these guys are likely unattainable without giving up our first. May have to think outside the box?

Honestly, as long as Treliving lottery protects it this time, I’m all for giving up a first if it brings back a truly legitimate top tier goalie.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Schneider if Kindkaid keeps earning starting duties in NJ
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Saros. I'm not sold on him. Really small for a goalie, and while he made one great save right off the bat tonight, he had horseshoes the rest of the time. I'm not sure he's a number one.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #14
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post

Plus, isn't he a 100 years old?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #15
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's been 7 games. Smith is capable of playing better and I'm optimistic that he will. Very few goalies on your list are better than he is, or even Rittich for that matter. The rest dont make sense to acquire, either because of the price or the contract situation.

If Treliving is going to pull the trigger on a deal to bring in a goaltender, one of ours needs to be going the other way and the goalie we acquire NEEDS to be a proven commodity. That's not easy to come by, but the last thing we can do is roll the dice again on a goalie.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #16
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Schneider if Kindkaid keeps earning starting duties in NJ

That’s kind of where I’m leaning too. It’s not great that his last 2 years have been average at best but he’s still pretty young, he was Vezina-quality up until 2016 and with 4 years x 6 million AAV the ask for him wouldn’t be huge. If he has truly lost the starters role, he’s likely waive his NTC as well.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #17
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Schneider seems like the best candidate to me if they can make the salary work. I think with a lighter work load split with smith he could be back to being a top tier player for this season. About the right age where we could get a few years out of him and hopefully by then we have a legitimate guy in the pipeline. Always thought it was Parsons but good lord he’s falling off the past year.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
That’s kind of where I’m leaning too. It’s not great that his last 2 years have been average at best but he’s still pretty young, he was Vezina-quality up until 2016 and with 4 years x 6 million AAV the ask for him wouldn’t be huge. If he has truly lost the starters role, he’s likely waive his NTC as well.
Schnieder suffered a hip injury 2 seasons ago that he never got fixed until this offseason.

It's why he is still out, he's recovering from surgery.

I think this injury is a big reason he struggled the last 2 years.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #19
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

New goalie coach before any more goalies please.
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #20
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Singlet needs to go. All these goalies and they just turn to red hot baboon ass .

Tre get on the damn phone and get Sean Burke here. Guys a goalie coach guru. He did great with Smith, Bryzgalov and Dubnyk in Arizona.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post: