Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #1341
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I also don’t see him signing another multi year deal here just to play inconsistent minutes on the 3rd or 4th line. Also, unlike Sven, he’s also put in 200+ games (likely 300) with the Flames organization and if we don’t end up using him up to his standards, I could see him requesting a trade to see if he can make it in a different organization. Treliving has also shown interest in giving players a chance to thrive elsewhere as he’s traded Bartschi, Kulak, Granlund, Byron and etc.
What was the return on Byron again?
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #1342
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfantrev View Post
what was the return on byron again?
$67,500
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #1343
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know Gulutzen gets a lot of hate here, but to fair, he treated Sam Bennett really well despite contrary belief. He played him on average 14-15 minutes per game and in all situations. Not once did he play him under 9 minutes a game either and he’s already done that twice this season in just 3 games. Sam Bennett even had a great stretch in December where he scored 13 points in 14 games and started looking like an absolute beast but that ended up being short lived.

I don’t if Sam Bennett’s career trajectory will be that of an energy line player or a top 6 forward, but all I know is it’s his last year of his bridge deal and it’s looking more and more like it could be his last season here if he doesn’t figure it all out.
He may have been treated well ala GG but maybe he wasn't handled properly. I am really hoping this coaching staff can get Bennett feeling part of the team and continue gaining some confidence in his abilities. Look at the difference in Taylor Hall after a change of scenery and with better coaching.

Personally I think GG was in way over his head in some area's. The new coaching staff seems more tailored to the teams needs with experience in player development and better suited for the team over all. This is a great group of guys I would think given some success that Bennett would want to be a part of that.

We just have to cross our fingers that if this team gels that Bennett will get stronger and want to continue with the Flames. It's encouraging to see the coaches giving younger guys opportunities and I suspect Bennett get opportunities.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #1344
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taylor Hall was a front line player in Edmonton who became a better front line player in NJ
Sam simply hasn’t produced. I’m surprised at the sentiment that anyone other than Sam is largely accountable for that
He has been a part of one of the shallowest forward groups, until this year, and still couldn’t muscle his way up the line up
That’s on him
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #1345
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
What was the return on Byron again?
0 prosects, 0 assets. Bad “trade.”
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #1346
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fortunately I believe Sam Bennett has no issues holding himself accountable.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #1347
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know Gulutzen gets a lot of hate here, but to fair, he treated Sam Bennett really well despite contrary belief. He played him on average 14-15 minutes per game and in all situations. Not once did he play him under 9 minutes a game either and he’s already done that twice this season in just 3 games. Sam Bennett even had a great stretch in December where he scored 13 points in 14 games and started looking like an absolute beast but that ended up being short lived.

I don’t if Sam Bennett’s career trajectory will be that of an energy line player or a top 6 forward, but all I know is it’s his last year of his bridge deal and it’s looking more and more like it could be his last season here if he doesn’t figure it all out.
Agreed, but you'll never convince the side that is adamant that Bennett's lack of success is because of GG. Ultimately, a player's success is in their hands and the Flames gave him opportunity but made the decision after not seeing enough, to move on by adding players over this offseason.

His job is now much harder than years past because he has to beat out Johnny or Tkachuk to make the left side (not happening), Lindholm or Czarnik or Neal on the right side (not happening), or Monahan or Backlund up the middle (not happening). His place now on this roster is to be a solid third liner, so hopefully he embraces this redefined role for him on the team.

I've adjusted my expectation for him now that he can be a solid third line guy who can contribute to the tune of 10G, 10A season over season and bring energy and physicality to his game. Pinch in if there are injuries to the top 6 on the wings.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #1348
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Taylor Hall was a front line player in Edmonton who became a better front line player in NJ
Sam simply hasn’t produced. I’m surprised at the sentiment that anyone other than Sam is largely accountable for that
He has been a part of one of the shallowest forward groups, until this year, and still couldn’t muscle his way up the line up
That’s on him
I hear you, I guess my point is change can do wonders and hopefully will help in Sam's case. Agreed, Sam has to earn it no argument here.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #1349
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
He may have been treated well ala GG but maybe he wasn't handled properly. I am really hoping this coaching staff can get Bennett feeling part of the team and continue gaining some confidence in his abilities. Look at the difference in Taylor Hall after a change of scenery and with better coaching.

Personally I think GG was in way over his head in some area's. The new coaching staff seems more tailored to the teams needs with experience in player development and better suited for the team over all. This is a great group of guys I would think given some success that Bennett would want to be a part of that.

We just have to cross our fingers that if this team gels that Bennett will get stronger and want to continue with the Flames. It's encouraging to see the coaches giving younger guys opportunities and I suspect Bennett get opportunities.
Bennett is also averaging 9 minutes in ice time this season. Now obviously it’s early, but I don’t see him getting any PP time or 1st line minutes like he got last season. Every player is in charge of their own career and need to show without a shadow of a doubt that they belong where they belong and unfortunately for Sam Bennett, he hasn’t proven or earned a top 6 role yet. He might down the road as he’s young, but there’s guarantee he will.

Also, Taylor Hall scored at a rate of a 90 point player and finished top 10 in scoring before he was shipped to New Jersey. So had shown that he had that ability before, Sam Bennett has not shown that he can do that. So Taylor Hall and Sam Bennett are not comparables in my eyes.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #1350
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett is also averaging 9 minutes in ice time this season. Now obviously it’s early, but I don’t see him getting any PP time or 1st line minutes like he got last season. Every player is in charge of their own career and need to show without a shadow of a doubt that they belong where they belong and unfortunately for Sam Bennett, he hasn’t proven or earned a top 6 role yet. He might down the road as he’s young, but there’s guarantee he will.

Also, Taylor Hall scored at a rate of a 90 point player and finished top 10 in scoring before he was shipped to New Jersey. So had shown that he had that ability before, Sam Bennett has not shown that he can do that. So Taylor Hall and Sam Bennett are not comparables in my eyes.

Well said' I was not trying to compare the 2 players but rather show that maybe Bennett needs experienced coaches to get him to the next level of play. He may, or may not get opportunities to play in the top 6 but he may get some opportunities with better coaches, team-mates.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #1351
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Agreed, but you'll never convince the side that is adamant that Bennett's lack of success is because of GG. Ultimately, a player's success is in their hands and the Flames gave him opportunity but made the decision after not seeing enough, to move on by adding players over this offseason.

His job is now much harder than years past because he has to beat out Johnny or Tkachuk to make the left side (not happening), Lindholm or Czarnik or Neal on the right side (not happening), or Monahan or Backlund up the middle (not happening). His place now on this roster is to be a solid third liner, so hopefully he embraces this redefined role for him on the team.

I've adjusted my expectation for him now that he can be a solid third line guy who can contribute to the tune of 10G, 10A season over season and bring energy and physicality to his game. Pinch in if there are injuries to the top 6 on the wings.
If Bennett gets better and shows some offensive prowess I have no doubt he could work his way into the top 6 on the Flames.

I feel like our top 5 players are locked in but still think there is a winger spot that hasn't been hammered down as of yet.

Czarnik is looking good on the 2nd line but he has by no means solidified his role there.

Neal didn't look like a fit with 19 and 11 so he is already on the 3rd line looking to find some chemistry.

I feel like the door is wide open for Bennett, Czarnik, Neal or Dube to solidify a role in the top 6. Tkachuk would play just fine on the RW if required, Peters even asked him to work on board play etc. as if he was a RWer over the summer.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk

..wouldn't be that crazy of a thought if Bennett started to turn things up and realize his potential.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #1352
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sven basically used the threat of going to Europe as leverage
I don’t see Sam doing that
It took him a long time to sign last summer (2017).

While there was no threat or danger of him going anywhere, or leverage, a simple housekeeping matter that could’ve been easily done much earlier in the off-season, didn’t end up being done until late in August or early Sept, so it makes you wonder when the stakes are a bit higher this upcoming summer. A lot of hockey to be played but my guess is if it’s really not going to work out from his side and a change of scenery is agreed upon, he will be gone long before the trade deadline.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #1353
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s on him
and while part of it was leaving Edmonton, he also admitted in interviews that he also had to look in the mirror and rededicated himself to work harder/smarter in the off season to be a better player.

I don't know if Bennett has done that, or if it would also take a trade to mature him as a person and player.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #1354
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s on him

Gulutzan didn’t change his lines.

Bennett got his chance on the top line for 2 games, produced multiple points in one of them, then got demoted when Stewart got picked up on waivers...because reasons!

Brodie was complete garbage for 2 years because Gulutzan didn’t change his pairings.

Sorry, but no one was going to produce with the linemates Bennett had. The way Bennett was set-up in years 2 and 3 is not how you set young players up for any level of success. Hanging it entirely on him his ridiculous. The Flames hired a coach who couldn’t coach. Lineups weren’t working and the team wasn’t winning, and yet the lines were static. That’s just idiotic coaching. He’s no longer a head coach in this league, and I think we could argue he’s not a coach in the NHL any more.

Sometimes coaches are that bad.

I’m not excusing Bennett entirely, he struggled with his circumstances and couldn’t rise above them. Good organizations simply don’t put young players in the position the Flames put Bennett in. The last two years the Flames organization failed the players just as much if not more than the players failed the organization.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-11-2018 at 07:40 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #1355
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s on him
Is it all on him or is at least some of it on the horrendous coach that pissed away the last 2 years of hockey in this town?

Let’s see where Bennett (and Brodie for that matter) are at the end of the year. I think Gulutzan forcing Bennett to Centre in his second year eroded the confidence he had built up but was too stubborn to change things. The same can be said by forcing Brodie to play the left side when he has said several times that he prefers the right side but we had to watch 2 full seasons of him being terrible thanks to the last coach we had on the team.

Players own a large portion of the accountability but let’s not forget who coached this team the past 2 years and how both players performed under Hartley was completely different
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #1356
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Is it all on him or is at least some of it on the horrendous coach that pissed away the last 2 years of hockey in this town?

Let’s see where Bennett (and Brodie for that matter) are at the end of the year. I think Gulutzan forcing Bennett to Centre in his second year eroded the confidence he had built up but was too stubborn to change things. The same can be said by forcing Brodie to play the left side when he has said several times that he prefers the right side but we had to watch 2 full seasons of him being terrible thanks to the last coach we had on the team.

Players own a large portion of the accountability but let’s not forget who coached this team the past 2 years and how both players performed under Hartley was completely different
In Bennett's rookie season, while he put up decent points he was pretty inconsistent. But what I remember most was his supporters saying "Hartley isn't playing him at centre where he belongs".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #1357
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we are going to blame Gulutzan for Bennett's play, are wegoing to praise Gulutzan for guys having career years too?

For the most part, Bennett is responsible for disappointment thus far. Not saying he cant become a top 6 guy though
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #1358
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Gulutzan didn’t change his lines.

Bennett got his chance on the top line for 2 games, produced multiple points in one of them, then got demoted when Stewart got picked up on waivers...because reasons!

Brodie was complete garbage for 2 years because Gulutzan didn’t change his pairings.

Sorry, but no one was going to produce with the linemates Bennett had. The way Bennett was set-up in years 2 and 3 is not how you set young players up for any level of success. Hanging it entirely on him his ridiculous. The Flames hired a coach who couldn’t coach. Lineups weren’t working and the team wasn’t winning, and yet the lines were static. That’s just idiotic coaching. He’s no longer a head coach in this league, and I think we could argue he’s not a coach in the NHL any more.

Sometimes coaches are that bad.

I’m not excusing Bennett entirely, he struggled with his circumstances and couldn’t rise above them. Good organizations simply don’t put young players in the position the Flames put Bennett in. The last two years the Flames organization failed the players just as much if not more than the players failed the organization.

I'm with you on that. One good example is Flyers Sean Couturier. When he was Bennett's age, he played on the 2nd and 3rd line and all I ever heard was that he was a "defensive" player. Last year, he was put on the 1st line and doubled his production.

This year, due to Flames depth, Bennett will play with better linemates and I strongly believe we will see the true Sam.

It would be nice to see him with Backs and Chucky at one point.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #1359
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

When he is playing with confidence he is a very good player. 13 of his 15 points last year came from a 14 game span from Nov 28 to Dec 29 last year. That is the player Sam Bennett can be and why it is hard for this team to walk away. That is also playing 3rd line minutes. How he only got 2 points in the rest of the games he played is mind bottling.

He just needs to figure out how to just play the game because he is a talented hockey player. He just needs a few bounces to start going his way since Peters will probably be more likely to give him more ice time if he is rolling.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #1360
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
If we are going to blame Gulutzan for Bennett's play, are wegoing to praise Gulutzan for guys having career years too?

For the most part, Bennett is responsible for disappointment thus far. Not saying he cant become a top 6 guy though
How many guys will truly have career seasons under Gulutzan? Maybe Backlund? I suspect Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk etc will all fat surpass the good years they had. Monahan and Gaudreau took a step back in GG’s first year before taking a step forward last year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote