Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2018, 04:13 AM   #21
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Iginla was much more physical than Monahan is, and this made Iginla a more effective player. Especially in the playoffs, when the physicality ramped up, Iginla could dominate beyond just the scoresheet.

Also, stuff like this:
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #22
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like this comparison is disrespectful if you look beyond the levels of hockeydb. Iginla was never the second best player on his line, let alone by a significant margin. And then offense aside, Iginla was a more complete hockey player. Was an intimidating presence and a much better defensive player than Monahan.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #23
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't follow Iginla in his early years but by 2004 he could dominate games on a nightly basis. Remember 'the Shift'? I don't see Monahan ever being at that level. He's a great player and this is an interesting and fun comparison but it's just not apples to apples unless he finds another gear or two.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #24
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proof that hockey is a lot more than just stats.

Iginla was the best player in the game for a couple seasons. Although Monahan is my favorite forward, he isn't even the best player on his team.

and "No longer confined to the body of a Vietnam veteran".
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #25
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good for a tap-in artist.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I feel like this comparison is disrespectful if you look beyond the levels of hockeydb. Iginla was never the second best player on his line, let alone by a significant margin. And then offense aside, Iginla was a more complete hockey player. Was an intimidating presence and a much better defensive player than Monahan.
Ha ha no. Iginla was relentless on the puck on the boards in his early years but he will never, ever be confused with a two-way player especially the 2nd half of his career where he was often the first Flame up ice when the puck was still in their own end.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #27
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ROFL no.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #28
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The point of this thread is I think to say more how remarkable Monahan’s production has been to this point, so early in his career. For the balance of their entire young careers I’d argue he has been better than MacKinnon or Schiefle... and we still don’t really know how good any of these guys are going to end up being, it’s still very early. That’s the other point of this thread I think. It’s still (way) too early to know how good any of these guys may end up being.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think Monahan is a little underappreciated by Flames fans as well as media around the league. This isn't about Monahan vs Iginla and more about using Iginla as a measuring stick to illustrate that Sean Monahan is a really good hockey player.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #30
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good time for my favourite Monahan stat.
Players with more goals than Monahan, by draft year:

2013: Monahan 142. He is the leader.
2012: None. No one with more points, either.
2011: Two. Nikita Kucherov (147) Landeskog (144). Add only Schiefele, Gaudreau and Nugent-Hopkins for more points.
2010: Four. Seguin (232), Skinner (204), Hall (191) & Tarasenko (180). Add only Ryan Johansen for more points.
2009: Five. Tavares (278), Duchene (201), E. Kane (190), O'Reilly (155) & Kadri (145). Only add Hedman, B. Schenn, M. Johansson and Ekman-Larsson for points.
2008: Three. Stamkos (348), Eberle (190) & Atkinson (146). Only add 8 more for points.

Heck, in the 2007 draft, only 10 players have more goals than him. Those players were drafted SIX YEARS before him.

So, of all of the approximately 1,266 players drafted from 2008 to and including 2013, only 14 players have more goals than Sean Monahan.

Point being, Monahan can score the goals...

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 10-10-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Math error.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #31
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan isn't a Selke candidate by any means but I think he still gets a lot of flack for being a poor defensive player. I disagree, I think he plays decent defense for a high scoring #1 centre. We will see if it continues this season but I have noticed him a lot more in the defensive zone over the first three games.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #32
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are lucky to have Monahan,and often underappreciated.

Iginla was next level though. He had the game breaking offensive skill with the ability to take over a game while putting the team on his back.

Not fair to compare them player to player, that being said, can't deny the offensive output Monahan continues to generate so far. Remarkable stuff.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue with Monahan is that he came into the league and more or less immediately demonstrated that he was really good. Flames fans went "holy crap, this guy is really good! Give him a couple of years and he could be AMAZING!" And then we all waited a couple of years and... nope, he's still really good. Which is nothing to be disappointed about, really, but it just demonstrates expectations vs reality.

That said, if Monahan ever scores 40+ it will be on Gaudreau's coattails. Iginla often did what he did in spite of his linemates, not because of them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #34
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a friendly reminder that the Calgary Flames have still not announced anything in regards to a retirement ceremony or honoring of Jarome Iginla at any of their home games this season.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #35
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
ROFL no.
ROFL yes.

Monahan is a borderline liability out there with his painful lack of speed where as Iginla at that same age was a solid 2 way player. I think people forget because his defensive game rapidly tapered off in his own end towards the end of his career.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ROFL yes.

Monahan is a borderline liability out there with his painful lack of speed where as Iginla at that same age was a solid 2 way player. I think people forget because his defensive game rapidly tapered off in his own end towards the end of his career.
Iginla was never a "solid 2 way player". He was lucky to have some good defensive players to skate with though.

Monahan has often been the best defensive player on his line. He's had to cover for Gaudreau most of his career. Watch how solid he now that he doesn't have to worry about RW with Lindholm.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think anyone is saying that Monahan > Iginla, its just interesting to see their point totals during the same ages as their career trajectories.

It will be interesting to see how Monahan fares this season now that hes healthy and all patched up.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Iginla was never a "solid 2 way player". He was lucky to have some good defensive players to skate with though.

Monahan has often been the best defensive player on his line. He's had to cover for Gaudreau most of his career. Watch how solid he now that he doesn't have to worry about RW with Lindholm.
Craig Conroy deserves some appreciation here. He may have not been that elite 1st line center but he was a really good 2-way center that had good chemistry with Iginla.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #39
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla would have had better numbers if he played with an amazing playmaker like Gaudreau. Oh wait. He did in Marc Savard until we dumped him for sack of garbage by our idiot GM.

Iggy would have had multiple 60 goal seasons if Savvy stayed a Flame.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Craig Conroy deserves some appreciation here. He may have not been that elite 1st line center but he was a really good 2-way center that had good chemistry with Iginla.
That's mainly who I was thinking of, though at this point in his career, Iggy didn't have Conroy yet.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote