Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #201
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

since we're on the topic of garbage, I have a Friday pick-up.
It bugs me when people put out garbage on a sunday or Monday.
the bags of course get ripped open and trash is all over the alley, and they never pick it up.
If you're too cheap for a bin, leave the freaking garbage in your yard.

On the positive, I live in a neighbourhood that has someone scouring the area.
If anyone on my block has something to get rid off we just put it in the alley.
at least 9 times out of 10 someone takes it off our hands.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #202
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Pick up day is on Thursdays, so no excuse there either. I did a quick check of some other bins (ours is in an alley, not a front curb), and he did it to at least 3 other neighbours. It probably took him several trips with his wheel barrow.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world, but this kind of stuff happens so often, it's kind of ridiculous.
That jackass should be hauling his stuff to the dump like everyone else.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #203
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can you put clay in the green bin? I may have some excess to dispose of...Just a few shovels a week though, keep the weight down. Stupid clay. Unless someone around here needs some...free clay!
Only a couple shovels? As long as I can wheel it (which is a pretty high threshold) they've always picked up my heavy-ass green and black bins. Id say I've filled mine almost halfway with dirt with no issue. Those hydraulic arms aren't too picky.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #204
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I was just wondering if clay/dirt is acceptable in the green bin. I should get started on this now!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #205
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Only a couple shovels? As long as I can wheel it (which is a pretty high threshold) they've always picked up my heavy-ass green and black bins. Id say I've filled mine almost halfway with dirt with no issue. Those hydraulic arms aren't too picky.
"I'll take 'The World's worst pickup lines' for $2000 Alex!"
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #206
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, I was just wondering if clay/dirt is acceptable in the green bin. I should get started on this now!
You should just 'Andy Dufresne' it. Every time you ridiculously walk your cat on a leash you can just get rid of a few pocketfuls.

And then throw a shovel full into each of your neighbour's bins and it'll be gone in no time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #207
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fridge in our garage is too cold and it froze my pop. I didn't notice until I went to open it as I was driving to work and it exploded all over my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #208
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The only way you really have a say over what goes in that bin is if it's on your property. And even then, you don't actually own them. Once you put a city owned bin outside your property line, it's contents are not longer yours and you can't really control access.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #209
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
The 2 week garbage pickup gmg's. twice now I've been on holidays, so it adds up to a month between pickups.
Don’t you have a neighbour who will move your bin for you when you’re away?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #210
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
The 2 week garbage pickup gmg's. twice now I've been on holidays, so it adds up to a month between pickups.
2 week pickups is one thing the City has got right IMHO. We're a family of four and rarely put our bin out more than once per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ha! You mean 'the things they could get in trouble for, so its better to put in your bin?'

We had very minor renos done at our house and the contractors threw all their garbage out in our Black Bin.

Well, that waste is residential but that garbage is commercial, so of course the City left us a strongly worded note on our Black Bin because of it.
Wait, so is that waste not supposed to be put in the bin because it is commercial (ie you paid someone to do the work) or because it is from a renovation? If I renovate myself does that mean I can or cannot put the old stuff in the black bin? I've never had an issue doing this before but the reno's have all been pretty minor (new light fixtures, new toilet etc.) and the stuff easily fits in a black bin.

Now I'm confused as to what can or cannot go in the bin and the website is not exactly clear on this.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #211
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Wait, so is that waste not supposed to be put in the bin because it is commercial (ie you paid someone to do the work) or because it is from a renovation? If I renovate myself does that mean I can or cannot put the old stuff in the black bin? I've never had an issue doing this before but the reno's have all been pretty minor (new light fixtures, new toilet etc.) and the stuff easily fits in a black bin.

Now I'm confused as to what can or cannot go in the bin and the website is not exactly clear on this.
We got a notice on our bin because of a few tiles and pieces of wood. We just had someone renovate our kitchen island.

Now, in fairness they were not in a bag, it was loose garbage, but we didnt think the contractor was just going to throw the stuff in our Bin, we kind of figured they had their own resources for getting rid of construction waste but the City had other ideas apparently.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #212
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Don’t you have a neighbour who will move your bin for you when you’re away?
Yeah, but they fill it with their garbage first
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #213
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a house of one - just me. Yet my black bin is often overfull because of neighbours throwing their trash in it. The worst issue was the neighbours with a basement suite, the door to which suit opened towards my house. In order to get to the back yard of their house, they'd have to go around to the other side, as the side next to me didn't have a gate to get back there. So they'd just go through my back yard and throw their garbage in my trash bin.

I now lock the gate to my back yard.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #214
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I am a house of one - just me. Yet my black bin is often overfull because of neighbours throwing their trash in it. The worst issue was the neighbours with a basement suite, the door to which suit opened towards my house. In order to get to the back yard of their house, they'd have to go around to the other side, as the side next to me didn't have a gate to get back there. So they'd just go through my back yard and throw their garbage in my trash bin.

I now lock the gate to my back yard.
I did a job in Tuxedo area and there were a few low rise apartment buildings in the same alley. My construction waste bin was constantly getting furniture and whatnot put in it, so I decided to close the lid and lock it. Guess what, the next day there was a mattress on top of the bin, and a couch beside it.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #215
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading CP has made me grateful that I have neighbours who aren't d-bags. It honestly shocks me that people would throw their crap in their neighbour's bins, or do any of the other selfish stuff I read about here. I guess I've been lucky.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #216
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We got a notice on our bin because of a few tiles and pieces of wood. We just had someone renovate our kitchen island.

Now, in fairness they were not in a bag, it was loose garbage, but we didnt think the contractor was just going to throw the stuff in our Bin, we kind of figured they had their own resources for getting rid of construction waste but the City had other ideas apparently.
I think that's ridiculous. If I'm doing something in my house like that and want to throw it in the black bin, they should just pick it up without complaint. I'm paying for that exact service.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #217
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that's ridiculous. If I'm doing something in my house like that and want to throw it in the black bin, they should just pick it up without complaint. I'm paying for that exact service.
And you may have it! Albeit coupled with a strongly worded note!
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #218
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a shared garbage shed thing in our townhouse area and people are ridiculous with that too. They had to install security cameras finally because someone went in and dropped off like three mattresses and a kitchen table and chairs right in the middle of it, blocking off the actual dumpsters. There's been TV's looking around, large containers of unknown substance (maybe some sort of old cooking oil or chew? Transparent container, wasn't going to open it to check), old baby stuff, furniture, smaller electronics, etc.

So now if someone does something stupid, they have it on camera and send them a bill for special pick-ups and cleaning procedures.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #219
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Reading CP has made me grateful that I have neighbours who aren't d-bags. It honestly shocks me that people would throw their crap in their neighbour's bins, or do any of the other selfish stuff I read about here. I guess I've been lucky.

If I have extra I just wait until the bins are outside for pickup before work and throw it in. Only a real issue if I have a ton of recyclables from amazon deliveries, etc.

I can't imagine going to a neighboors bin that is beside their house/on their property and putting something in it. People actually do this?

And do people get annoyed after there bin is out for pickup if someone uses the extra space?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #220
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

And do people get annoyed after there bin is out for pickup if someone uses the extra space?
I would. Why are people even looking in other peoples' bins? They're not yours. You have bins. Put your stuff in those bins, and only those bins. Have too much stuff? Wait until next week. Still have too much stuff? Wait until neighbourhood cleanup day. Have too much for that? Guess you're making a trip to the dump. This is basic civility stuff.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: