Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #2081
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that's the best way of looking at it since the black C has been the primary C for the previous 15 years, and majority of fans are going to purchase the jersey they wear most nights. If it were vice versa, and retros have been the primaries, most fans would be wearing those, over the alternatives.

Plus some fans are wearing the 04 jersey rather than the current iteration because they jerseys are similar enough, that they don't want the new one, or prefer the original set.

I think with the point you're trying to make, the sales of the retros would give a impression on the general fanbase perception on them. I don't have numbers, but they do continue to bring it back continually. So I think the organisation is aware that those jerseys are viewed fondly.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #2082
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I just feel like the general public had an opportunity to tell the organization they loved the retros by purchasing them. They were the third jersey for years, and 1989 retros have been available for several years as well. I don't think the pro-retro voices were that loud to warrant a full re-brand.

I think there's an abundance of primary home jerseys because people like them. The black C is a strong logo.
The thing with the retros is they've been released, what, 5 times now (original, Stanley Cup patch Vintage series, 2010 3rds, 2011 RBK edge, 2016 Reebok)? I'd wager a large portion of the fan base didn't buy the retros because they already had one from an earlier release.

Most Jets fans wear their current set, but I'd wager the majority prefer the older ones. Most people get a name on their jersey too, which boosts current jersey sales.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #2083
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

We've run a poll on the site a few different times ... and I've run one on twitter as well. The Retros always beat any version of the black C
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #2084
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames "New" Flames 3rd jersey for 2018-19?

Just a rumor - but I think it's very likely: https://www.icethetics.co/jerseywatch/
Old 07-17-2018, 11:18 PM   #2085
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ah, icethetics. We meet again.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #2086
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm in the minority, I like black on the jerseys. . I still wear my 04 jersey. Black and red go well together.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OminousFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 04:04 AM   #2087
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ah, icethetics. We meet again.
Yes, there is a bad taste in my mouth from the completely legitimate CP Jihad on the retro flames logo. They were being a bunch of babies about the whole thing.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #2088
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlames View Post
I'm in the minority, I like black on the jerseys. . I still wear my 04 jersey. Black and red go well together.

Black and red go great together for Chicago, Carolina, and New Jersey. One of the reasons fans love the retros is because the red and yellow combo is unique in the NHL.

I like the black C though. If the home and away retros are ever brought back fully I hope to then see a 2004 inspired 3rd jersey.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #2089
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

When do we think they'll unveil the 3rd jerseys? Have yet to have that presser introducing Neal, Ryan, Czarnik, Lindholm & Hanifin. Probably then?

Which begs the question. When does that happen?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #2090
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
When do we think they'll unveil the 3rd jerseys? Have yet to have that presser introducing Neal, Ryan, Czarnik, Lindholm & Hanifin. Probably then?

Which begs the question. When does that happen?
I'm assuming probably before they go to China. What a way to market a new uniform. (Atleast I hope the Flames are smart enough to market a brand new uniform for it)
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #2091
Toonage

Exp:

Hope its sooner as I'd like to buy one sooner but that makes sense.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #2092
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Hope its sooner as I'd like to buy one sooner but that makes sense.
Knowing the Flames - We'll probably have a random announcement on a Tuesday in August with little notice.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #2093
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little surprised that it's going to be the retros again. Aren't 3rd jerseys more of a money grab? Retros have been 3rd jerseys on and off for many years. By now most who would want a retro would already have it.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #2094
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I'm a little surprised that it's going to be the retros again. Aren't 3rd jerseys more of a money grab? Retros have been 3rd jerseys on and off for many years. By now most who would want a retro would already have it.
Retros in the Adidas cut would be new. I think they’d be popular.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #2095
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Retros in the Adidas cut would be new. I think they’d be popular.
Was going to say this. The Flames are all "But you don't have THIS retro".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #2096
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I think a modernized retro (same color scheme - slightly different cut) would be the best bet for a third - I don't need an exact copy of the 88/89 Jersey again.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #2097
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
Yes, there is a bad taste in my mouth from the completely legitimate CP Jihad on the retro flames logo. They were being a bunch of babies about the whole thing.
I was a daily reader of that site, and how he conducted himself when that all happened pushed me away immediately.

Just gross, and he does an absolutely abysmal job of ensuring he isn't posting poached content.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #2098
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Personally I think a modernized retro (same color scheme - slightly different cut) would be the best bet for a third - I don't need an exact copy of the 88/89 Jersey again.
Totally agree. We have the retros, and can drag those out of the closet whenever we please. I'd love to see a fresh take on something inspired by those retros, but designed for today.

It doesn't mean it has to be wildly different than the retros, nor does it immediately have to be recognized as different from the retros to the casual fan. Just something that's attractive, and with that palette would be great to see. If the retros turn out to be the best option, so be it!

I just finished up a design for a client that is pretty much exactly that. We batted around a ton of ideas, and eventually landed on something quite similar to a design from the past - yet entirely different. Any casual fan who's seen it remarks "oh! the older ones!", but side-by-side there's big changes to update the look. We talked a lot about what jerseys fans were wearing to games and started testing concepts around those assets until we came up with something that would look great on the ice today. Would be nice if the Flames would think about these things sometime. Or, alter the weight they give to areas of feedback. Depending on the group we talked to, we would get completely different feedback that would push us in another direction. Instead of ownership, marketing and the players - I'd like to see the Flames start putting more weight on the fans preferences. That's not to say that fans feedback should be the majority of what you take in, but to this point the Flames creative direction hasn't resulted in anything too inspiring.

I think a lot of us clamour for the retros as we know that's the most we can ask of this group though. Coming up with something fresh, new and iconic is a bit much given what we've seen.

Last edited by Split98; 07-18-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #2099
Toonage

Exp:

Agreed. I trust them with the retros. I do not trust them with any new design.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #2100
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I was a daily reader of that site, and how he conducted himself when that all happened pushed me away immediately.

Just gross, and he does an absolutely abysmal job of ensuring he isn't posting poached content.
Can you fill me in with what went on?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote