Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Fleury, seems like a really good guy and great team player.
I wouldn't have minded having him here but we wouldn't be signing him to that big extension anyway. With so many upcoming goalie prospects one of them better work out.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What in the hell are you talking about?

That's a LIFE-SIZED chocolate statue of a hockey player.
mmmm chocolate

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #23
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes their playoff Hero. They're an expansion team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals on their first try!

Yeah, in Vegas hes a huge deal. He is arguably the face of that Franchise and when you're brand new you make deals like these.

Its a good contract. Not just because of what he brings to the Franchise and the expansion, but hes still a really good goalie.

Its a lot for an older player, but I dont bat an eye at this contract. I think its solid for a lot tangible and intangible reasons.
Plus, he's their franchise leader in pretty much ever goalie stat, a living legend....
Flaming Choy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The term is what makes this a good contract for Vegas.

And Fleury earned it with a career year, and by doing a great job of being the face of the franchise.

Everybody wins here.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With this extension, MAF will probably hit 500 wins, maybe 900 games played and already has 3 Cups to his name.

For whatever reason, these stats point to an elite goalie of historical proportion yet I always get the impression people don't value him in the same category as Roy, Brodeur etc. Why is that? Why do I hear people say things like "Ohh, he had Crosby and Malkin"?

I always found that strange.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #26
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
With this extension, MAF will probably hit 500 wins, maybe 900 games played and already has 3 Cups to his name.

For whatever reason, these stats point to an elite goalie of historical proportion yet I always get the impression people don't value him in the same category as Roy, Brodeur etc. Why is that? Why do I hear people say things like "Ohh, he had Crosby and Malkin"?

Cause he had epic meltdowns multiple times in the playoffs with Pittsburgh.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #27
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For me its because he's only been top ten in save % 3 times in his career.

Guys like Lundqvist and Luongo have like 7-8 finishes in the top ten. If those two switched places with Fleury they'd have equal or great team accomplishments IMO.

Fleury has appeared to get better as he has aged. His best ever season was last year, and 3 of his top four seasons have happened in the last 4 years.

He's 34 in the fall though. Might slip during this contract.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Cause he had epic meltdowns multiple times in the playoffs with Pittsburgh.
More recently, he did not. Patrick Roy once let in nine goals against Detroit. #### happens when you play goalie.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #29
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Pittsburgh won more Cups without him as a starter than with him. There was a period of five years when he was an absolute disaster in the playoffs. He had a good last year, but in the Final the ole Fleury started to show up again. He just did not have the kind of consistency that the top goalies usually do have.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big fan of Fleury and have been since his first WJC. He is a great goalie, but when he has had bad games or just mistakes they tend to have been glaringly bad mistakes, all the way back to his second WJC. Still, on the whole he is a great goalie and an easy guy to cheer for. I think the Pens really missed him this year.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #31
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Pittsburgh won more Cups without him as a starter than with him.
I think you need to give him at least equal on this one.

In 2017, due to injury to Murray, he played in and won more games. Surely was the 'starter' for over half the playoffs. Including shutting out the Capitals in Game 7. It wasn't like his save percentage of 0.924 was at all bad that year, Penguins just went with their goalie-of-the-future in the Finals.

Already top 10 in most playoff wins, likely retires at least top 6. Been to the Stanley Cup finals 5 times.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #32
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I think you need to give him at least equal on this one.

In 2017, due to injury to Murray, he played in and won more games. Surely was the 'starter' for over half the playoffs. Including shutting out the Capitals in Game 7. It wasn't like his save percentage of 0.924 was at all bad that year, Penguins just went with their goalie-of-the-future in the Finals.

Already top 10 in most playoff wins, likely retires at least top 6. Been to the Stanley Cup finals 5 times.
That's very true, but he still was replaced as soon as Murray was ready, the Pens clearly trusted him more. And Chris Osgood I think went to the finals four times and actually has more wins as a starter, 2-1.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #33
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dunno, perhaps I am a jaded Flames fan but if MY teams goalie somehow managed 400- 500 wins, 5 Cup Finals, 3 Cups and counting, I would be ecstatic.

You can't win in this league unless you have steller goaltending and MAF has won a ton. If people are being fair than you need to give people the benefit of the doubt and give credit for the good and negatives for the bad. Did he have a few bad playoffs? 100% The team did and so did the coaching and management, hence why they went through coaches and GM's.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #34
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Always thought Fleury was a bubble goalie, except he's won a couple cups, came in to replace Murray and totally impressed me in his stint in Vegas. We'd be so lucky to have a goalie.

Love his approach and attitude.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #35
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the end of November, Fleury should be top 10 all time in goalie wins.

I would not be surprised to see him end his career in the top 5.
Not bad with you combine that with 3 cup wins
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #36
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno, perhaps I am a jaded Flames fan but if MY teams goalie somehow managed 400- 500 wins, 5 Cup Finals, 3 Cups and counting, I would be ecstatic.

You can't win in this league unless you have steller goaltending and MAF has won a ton. If people are being fair than you need to give people the benefit of the doubt and give credit for the good and negatives for the bad. Did he have a few bad playoffs? 100% The team did and so did the coaching and management, hence why they went through coaches and GM's.
The thing is the quality of the teams he has been on has been really high. The Pens teams have had Crosby and Malkin and last years Vegas team was one of the best teams in the league.

The same could be said for Brodeur and the Devils although many would argue that he was just as important to that team as Stevens and Niedermayer. Roy carried that 86 and 93 team.

I think Fleury is a great goalie but I think he’s at a tier below Roy and Brodeur. I think he’s in the same tier as guys like Luongo and Kiprusoff and Lundqvist. If any of those guys played for the Pens, they would also have multiple cup rings.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The thing is the quality of the teams he has been on has been really high. The Pens teams have had Crosby and Malkin and last years Vegas team was one of the best teams in the league.

The same could be said for Brodeur and the Devils although many would argue that he was just as important to that team as Stevens and Niedermayer...
And how did the Penguins fare sans Fleury this past season? How far does VGK get without him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #38
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It takes a whole team. Of course having all star forwards helps. But you also need a goalie who’s going to consistently take you there. Fleury brings that.

But as for being in Brodeurs league.... no.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #39
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was very disappointed when the Flames didn't sign him last year. He would have solidified the goalie position for several years.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #40
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
I was very disappointed when the Flames didn't sign him last year. He would have solidified the goalie position for several years.
We couldn't just sign him, it would have required a trade.

Vegas got him for a steal because PIT knew it was either trade Fleury for a bargain or be forced to buy out Fleury.

Remember the rumoured ask from PIT for Fleury at the draft previous was our 1st rounder (Tkachuk).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote