Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Ehliz, Yasin 1 0.27%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 46 12.53%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 4 1.09%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 4 1.09%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 61 16.62%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 114 31.06%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 134 36.51%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 3 0.82%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The second my boy Parsons locks in a spot I’m joining Scorp just to piss off all the grumps.
I don't think you should do that based on that principle. I'm legitimately voting for who I think is the best prospect, I wouldn't want to wreck the polls by encouraging voting for what people don't agree with just to make a mockery of it. These polls don't deserve that, a lot of hard work goes into them. Now, I have reasons that I'm voting for who I'm voting for and I think they're merited, and if you agree with them, by all means, vote for Klimchuk. But don't do that if you don't agree, it's really not a big deal where he goes.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #42
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would have voted Kylington but voted Mangiapane to try and stop the goalie madness. I like Parsons the most out of any of our goalie prospects for a while but we really need to pump the brakes.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #43
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I went Parsons, this time because of potential impact. But I'm a little surprised at Mangiapane's early lead over Foo - to me they are incredibly close (and management seems to like Foo better IMO).

Why is it close? Mangiapane put up better AHL numbers and he's younger.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think you should do that based on that principle. I'm legitimately voting for who I think is the best prospect, I wouldn't want to wreck the polls by encouraging voting for what people don't agree with just to make a mockery of it. These polls don't deserve that, a lot of hard work goes into them. Now, I have reasons that I'm voting for who I'm voting for and I think they're merited, and if you agree with them, by all means, vote for Klimchuk. But don't do that if you don't agree, it's really not a big deal where he goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Would have voted Kylington but voted Mangiapane to try and stop the goalie madness. I like Parsons the most out of any of our goalie prospects for a while but we really need to pump the brakes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #45
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I know I’m just being facetious. You made some good points on him.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #46
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
And keep in mind we would have seen more of Mangiapane at the end of last season had he not been injured. Instead we had Foo showcased.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #47
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Parsons
Klimchuk
Mangiapane
Foo
Kylington
Phillips

That's my order for now. I prioritize ceiling over floor but not by much, which is why I have Klimchuk over eat bread, as i believe he will be an nhl player for sure.
I just don't understand how anyone can have Klimchuk so high. His ceiling is optimistically third line winger. His floor is AHL regular (and if he doesn't establish himself in the NHL this season, that floor starts to look awfully likely.) How can you rank him higher than Kylington who has first pairing ceiling, looks close to bring NHL ready, and still has a few seasons before his NHL dreams really start to evaporate?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #48
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Struggled between Kylington and Parsons as they are both very talented but both have question marks. Ultimately went with Parsons. Mangiapane is close to these two but I think his ceiling is lower.

Ultimately, I think if these guys were on the trade market the return would be (highest to lowest):

1) Parsons- a first round goalie, proven winner, athletic, good head for the game, lots of potential
2) Mangiapane- closest of the 3 to be NHL ready
3) Kylington- higher upside than Bread but has a longer road to be a NHL regular
Yeah, hard to say between Kylington and Mangiapane (I would think Kylington), but I don't think there is much question that Parsons would have the most trade value of those 3.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Foo had something like one point in his first 19 games, so his more recent showing was remarkable. Foo is a RHS RW, which is still a little harder to come by these days. He has a bit of a size advantage. And, in their respective limited NHL times, Foo did better, and management seems to like him more.

With Mangiapane, when I look and see he played 10 games it's surprising, I thought it was less and it's because he had little impact (in fairness playing mostly with Jankowski and Versteeg whereas Foo got mostly Backlund and Bennett but also a healthy sample with Johnny). Mangiapane's shoulder surgery is a small concern.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #50
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
While goalies are impossible to predict, Parsons has the pedigree, and the tools, to become a #1 goalie. His upside is to be a franchise goalie.
I feel like we've been saying this since the 90s.

Until one of these goalies actually does something, I'm sticking to skaters. I won't get hurt again!
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

So speaking of Tyler Parsons, did he play in the scrimmage last week at Development Camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #52
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Noticeable lack of star potential forwards. Really solid top 3 d tho. Kylington, Valimaki, Anderson could all develop into top pairing guys. Hopefully we keep our 1st this year and can try and snag a gem forward.
Tough to snag a gem with the 31st pick.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #53
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Has to be Mangiapane (he should have won round 3 IMO)

Take into account the following:
2017/18
-Top of the league in points per game in the AHL last year (forwards, 21 years old or younger)
-production relative to the rest of the AHL for the 2017/2018: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=136
-Top on the team for goals, points, primary points, 5v5 points, 5v5 primary points, NHLe, estimated P/60, etc. This is before you factor in the fact that Mangiapane played the least games of the regular AHL Flames prospects with 39.
-involved in 38.38% of all Heat goals, nearly 16% higher than the next highest contributor
Comparables
-Similar producers at even strength generally make the NHL full time at an 88% clip, scoring around 0.53 PPG throughout their careers which puts him in-line with players like Ferland, Lindholm, Backlund, Domi, Silfverberg, etc.

VOTE YEASTMODE!!
(all data stolen from others)
He would have been ranked as a better prospect had he spent the whole season in the AHL.

He was awful in his 10 game NHL call up.

Maybe the worst 10 game NHL stint ever.

You are making a point on how bad the NHLe is as a metric.

Kyle Connor did not come close to putting up Mangiapane-like numbers in the AHL and scored at the 60 pt level in the NHL.

Nic Petan has nearly as great AHL numbers , but scores at a 4th liner rate in the NHL.

They are different leagues.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #54
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
He would have been ranked as a better prospect had he spent the whole season in the AHL.

He was awful in his 10 game NHL call up.

Maybe the worst 10 game NHL stint ever.

You are making a point on how bad the NHLe is as a metric.

Kyle Connor did not come close to putting up Mangiapane-like numbers in the AHL and scored at the 60 pt level in the NHL.

Nic Petan has nearly as great AHL numbers , but scores at a 4th liner rate in the NHL.

They are different leagues.
Hyperbolic much?
Before this thread gets ricardow-ed by your statements of absolute fact:

-Mangiapane was primarily used on the 4th line with scrubs for his call-up, Connor has been used on the 1st line relatively consistently since his call up. Comparing a 1st rounder with a player drafted as an overager in the 6th round seems a bit flawed in terms of expectations no?
-Mangiapane did not look out of place during his call up, in fact he appeared to be creating opportunities despite being surrounded by stone hands. It has been universally recognized on these pages that he was poorly utilized by GG
-Maybe the worst call up ever...really? Based on what? The Grit Index?

Please go find another player to irrationally hate on (I recommend Brouwer)
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #55
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane for me.

Parsons has the higher pedigree, but until he puts up some good numbers as a pro, he'll just be another in the long list of great junior goalies who couldn't hack it in the pros.

Mangiapane has had back to back great seasons in the AHL and has progressed well after being a SIXTH round pick. Yes, you read that correctly.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington should be 3 looks like he will go 5-6
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #57
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I love that even after graduating so many players the Flames' farm is chock full of great prospects. Rank them however you want, I think the top-10 will shake out pretty predictably with Valimaki, Andersson, Parsons, Dube, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo, Kylington, Gillies, and Phillips, all of whom are terrific assets. What a great luxury and time to be a fan.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #58
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I love that even after graduating so many players the Flames' farm is chock full of great prospects. Rank them however you want, I think the top-10 will shake out pretty predictably with Valimaki, Andersson, Parsons, Dube, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo, Kylington, Gillies, and Phillips, all of whom are terrific assets. What a great luxury and time to be a fan.
I think the pool is good but not great. Prospects tend to get over-valued based on potential. Statistically, most of these guys will not be NHL regulars and the one's that are will not be impact players. I think the only guys that have the opportunity to become impact players are Valimaki, Parsons, Dube, Kylington and maybe Gillies (goalies are weird and sometimes take 10 years to find their game). Of those five, it's likely only 1 will be an impact player. We may get lucky and see more than that but it's unlikely.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #59
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting to see how hard Gillies has fallen over the past few years. I didn't vote Gillies this round, but I'd figure he'd get more than one vote given where he is in the pipeline.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #60
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Mangiapane is being overrated and Spencer Foo is being underrated. I went with Foo and would probably put Parsons 4th, then Mangiapane. I liked his game in the AHL but honestly he didn’t really impress me at all during his call up. Foo looked much better to me (and yes I’m aware of the age difference).
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote