Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #961
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It all comes down to the Goalie.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #962
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not even going to bother until Tre is done, some guys are certainly leaving town yet.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #963
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pump the breaks on Czarnik, Dube, Foo and Mangipane. It would be a huge win if one of them contributed like a decent rookie. Asking for all of them to step up is like expecting 7 NHL players from a typical draft year.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #964
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
???-Ryan-Brouwer
???/???

The last spots are open for some of: Foo, Czarnik, Mangiapane, Lazar, Klimchuk, or Hathaway

Last edited by keenan87; 07-02-2018 at 10:00 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #965
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Pump the breaks on Czarnik, Dube, Foo and Mangipane. It would be a huge win if one of them contributed like a decent rookie. Asking for all of them to step up is like expecting 7 NHL players from a typical draft year.
I don't see anyone expecting all 4 of them to crack the lineup. We have:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Ryan - Brouwer

all fighting for jobs.

One of the guys you mentioned - and at the outside, two - are going to crack the lineup. And that's the whole point of having 4 of them (5 if we include Lazar in that group) - instead of simply gifting them roster spots, they have to earn it. Let the best players win.

And assuming that one (or maybe two) of those 5 could step up , is not at all unreasonable.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #966
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Agreed.

Dube is a raw rookie, and with our depth will most likely be a full time AHLer and that's good.

Mangiapane is just 21, and his season ended with an injury. It won't be a bad thing if he goes back to STK and repeats his 1.1 point per game AHL performance, or even improves on it.

Foo is a little older, and finished strong in the second half including an NHL call up at the end. I expect him to really push for a spot.

Czarnik is the one that really needs to step up. He's 25, already has 3 pro seasons and nearly 60 NHL games. Plus the Flames brass went out of their way to recruit him for a specific role. He is going to get every opportunity to shine and I am hoping he delivers.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #967
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty sure Ryan said on TSN yesterday that he was going to be playing middle six so if that’s the case it will be interesting how the lines get shuffled
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #968
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal is the perfect fit for the 1st line to replace Ferland:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Czarnik
Frolik - Backlund - Ryan
Bennett - Jankowski - Foo
Brouwer, Lazar
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #969
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm/Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm/Neal
Bennett - Jankowski/Ryan - Frolik
Brouwer - Ryan/Jankowski - Czarnik/Foo/Lazar/etc
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #970
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about going after a young goalie now? I wonder if they could possibly trade for a guy like Saros(dream) or Korpisalo, Jarry, or even Dansk. Maybe see how the other guys do in camp and then maybe make a move if no one steps up
Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #971
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think frolik has enough value to fetch us some picks or prospect. Been a while since we've sold any assets.

Brouwer is a lot harder but hell who knows with some money retained.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

Is solid. Swap the two RWs even, either way it's balanced. It's nice to not feel like a one line team today.
Ryan will help boost the bottom 6 output as well, which was nom existent for much of last season. And if frolik sticks around and is pushed down a line it makes the bottom half better too.

Didn't expect to increase my hopes or expectations for next season but thinga have sure taken a pleasant turn awful fast.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #972
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, here's my ideal lineup:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal *This is a no-brainer IMO.

**Jankowski-Lindholm-Tkachuk *I like this combination of size, smarts, and skill. I think Tkachuk can play his game equally well on the right wing. **see 4th line alternates for Jankowski placement

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik *Strong possession duo in Backlund/Frolik support Bennett as he continues to develop his two-way game and begins scoring on a more regular basis when he's given the freedom to be assertive in the offensive zone.

Mangiapane-**Ryan-Brouwer *You're not going to sit Brouwer to start the year. Ryan will help to drive the play along with Mangiapane who looks relatively ready for an NHL job. **see alternate lines

Extra forwards: Lazar, Hathaway. *Perfect guys to put in the lineup when you need a boost of energy on back to backs or over the course of a long season. Both players have strong defensive games and skate relatively well with good energy/jam. Perfect extra forwards for a good club.

**Alternate 2nd line: Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan *I like this a little better for handedness, and Ryan could be a solid 2nd line winger if our other wingers don't work out.

** Alternate 4th line: Mangiapane-Jankowski-Brouwer

I think the defense is relatively set:

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Prout

Smith
Rittich/Gillies

All this being said, I would expect one of Czarnik or Foo to force their way onto the club ahead of Brouwer by the end of the season.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #973
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Neal is the perfect fit for the 1st line to replace Ferland:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Czarnik
Frolik - Backlund - Ryan
Bennett - Jankowski - Foo
Brouwer, Lazar
I really like the looks of this.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #974
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Versatility was management's theme for the offseason. They got it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #975
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It all comes down to the Goalie.
I usually think the exact opposite of what you think but this is a very important point. This team is still in a place where if Smith goes down, there season could go down the toilet very quickly. They need to clear some space for a capable backup.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #976
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazes me how many potential options there are now for 1st line RW on the Johnny/Mony line.

1. Neal - Big body, puck protector, proven sniper, loves his off wing
2. Lindholm - Good two way game, right shot, can take faceoffs on his strong side, untapped offensive potential
3. Ryan - Nifty hands around the net, complimentary player, right shot, can take face offs on his strong side
4. Czarnik - Highly skilled, right shot, if he "pops" he could be a Marchessault type of surprise acquisition

Then you have long shot options that were already here with Tkachuk, Bennett and even Foo if he were to take a step or two.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #977
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I usually think the exact opposite of what you think but this is a very important point. This team is still in a place where if Smith goes down, there season could go down the toilet very quickly. They need to clear some space for a capable backup.
Yes, we have amazing depth now at forward AND defense, but there are still two questionmarks with this team:

1) gaoltending
2) coaching

My biggest concern with this roster is: what happens if Smith gets injured?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #978
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
???-Ryan-Brouwer
???/???

The last spots are open for some of: Foo, Czarnik, Mangiapane, Lazar, Klimchuk, or Hathaway
Jankowski was the Flames rookie of the year. Not even close to being a top rookie in the league.

Going into the last game of the year he had 21 pts in 71 games and was a -10. Brouwer, who would get voted off Flame Island with a overwhelming majority had 20 pts in 75 games and was a -8.

Based on last year's performance Brouwer has earned the 2nd line RW spot to the same degree as Jankowski should be #2C

With centers Monahan 31 goals 62 pts, Lindholm 16G - 44 pts Backlund 14 G 45 pts and Ryan 15G 38 Pt based on their last season it would shocking to see Jankowski as anything but the 4th line centre.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #979
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost every team is hooped if they lose their starting goalie. Rittich was very good as back up, bad when spotlight turned to him - but so was the whole team. That would hopefully have been a learning experience. He is capable. Gillies also has a chance.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #980
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Jankowski was the Flames rookie of the year. Not even close to being a top rookie in the league.

Going into the last game of the year he had 21 pts in 71 games and was a -10. Brouwer, who would get voted off Flame Island with a overwhelming majority had 20 pts in 75 games and was a -8.

Based on last year's performance Brouwer has earned the 2nd line RW spot to the same degree as Jankowski should be #2C

With centers Monahan 31 goals 62 pts, Lindholm 16G - 44 pts Backlund 14 G 45 pts and Ryan 15G 38 Pt based on their last season it would shocking to see Jankowski as anything but the 4th line centre.
Not sure about ricardos ramblings but I agree with his overall conclusion. If janko stays at center it will be on the 4th line. Ryan is going to be the third line center.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote