Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #401
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally I think the answer is quit playing the anthem.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #402
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Get rid of extra points and kickoffs. Saves an hour.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #403
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Well it's not the answer because it's not going to happen. This is a compromise but probably the best conclusion they could come up with. If you want to protest just stay in the locker room. It's really all up to the media as personally as a fan I don't follow sports to see or hear the political opinions of any athlete or coach so I don't really care if a player or two decides to stay in the locker room. As long as it doesn't disrupt team chemistry or become a distraction I don't care what any of these guys do within the law. However the media loves to make a big deal out of this stuff because they know it's clickbait for today's society who loves to be outraged.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #404
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And unsurprisingly, all of those on the right who have been bitching about limitations on free speech/compelled speech are quiet on something that is pretty much a blatant example of it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #405
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And unsurprisingly, all of those on the right who have been bitching about limitations on free speech/compelled speech are quiet on something that is pretty much a blatant example of it.
I think this is what my main problem with the whole situation is. These guys are doing an extremely peaceful protest that doesn't change how hard they play, but it's a big deal apparently?
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #406
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The players are free to say whatever they want when it’s not on company time. This really isn’t a free speech issue as there is no constitutional free speech in the workplace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #407
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The players are free to say whatever they want when it’s not on company time. This really isn’t a free speech issue as there is no constitutional free speech in the workplace.
This is a good point, I guess it is considered company time. I only wish the players did more to warrant a reaction from the league. It seems like a pretty simple infraction to warrant possible fines and penalties, IMO.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #408
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean I agree with that in principle, but if this was someone getting fired from their job or reprimanded for saying anti-gay or pro-life things, you know the right would be all over it as a free speech issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #409
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean I agree with that in principle, but if this was someone getting fired from their job or reprimanded for saying anti-gay or pro-life things, you know the right would be all over it as a free speech issue.
Why the #### is the right being cast as the pro-free-speech crowd? Why would you even permit that implication, much less proactively support it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Yeah, I think so too. The "anthems before sporting events in major leagues that have nothing to do with country affiliation" doesn't make any sense anyway. But they're obviously not going to do that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #410
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Why the #### is the right being cast as the pro-free-speech crowd? Why would you even permit that implication, much less proactively support it?
Uhhh...maybe check your reading comprehension on that one, dude. I'm suggesting that the right is completely disingenuous, hypocritical and self-serving when it comes to free speech.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #411
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. I think you are underestimating people on the right. I think any employee needs to act responsible and be careful of what they say on their facebook pages or in the media if they like their job. I don't recall many crying for that woman in Saskatchewan that lost her job after melting down in that Denny's.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #412
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. I think you are underestimating people on the right. I think any employee needs to act responsible and be careful of what they say on their facebook pages or in the media if they like their job. I don't recall many crying for that woman in Saskatchewan that lost her job after melting down in that Denny's.
No but they held rallies for the county clerk who refused to marry a gay couple. Do you honestly think the right would take it lying down if the NFL said they were going to impose penalties on any team or players caught praying on the field?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #413
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No but they held rallies for the county clerk who refused to marry a gay couple. Do you honestly think the right would take it lying down if the NFL said they were going to impose penalties on any team or players caught praying on the field?
Would religious people in the US be happy? Probably not, but people will be inconsistent in applying laws and rules to others who support or oppose their view, it doesn't change anything about this case. The NFL absolutely has the right to stop players from kneeling, free speech is not absolute when you're there on your employers time and their platform. Especially if said speech is taking away revenue from your employer.

When I signed my fulltime offer after university there was a section in there that made me acknowledge that I was not authorized to comment publicly in any way about my employer. That ranged from news reports all the way down to message boards. That could be incorrectly construed as free speech restriction against me but these rights do not exist in the workplace.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #414
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So since the anthem is all sacred and all, will NFL teams be announcing they will not sell any concessions during say a five minute window when the anthem will happen so that everyone can focus solely on respecting the anthem? I actually almost wrote that whole thing without laughing believe it or not.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #415
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So since the anthem is all sacred and all, will NFL teams be announcing they will not sell any concessions during say a five minute window when the anthem will happen so that everyone can focus solely on respecting the anthem? I actually almost wrote that whole thing without laughing believe it or not.
I know when i attended a game in Charlotte, when the anthem started there was no sales of any kind....everything just stopped til it was over.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #416
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Quote:
49ers owner Jed York said the team will not sell concessions during the national anthem as part of a broader approach around the NFL's national anthem debate, reports ESPN.

“I don’t think we should profit during the national anthem if we’re going to ask people to be respectful," he said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/23/49...-anthem-debate
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #417
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Crazy sad news....an absolute iconic moment in NFL history. Thinking back i am pretty sure Vin Scully was on the microphone to call it.

Quote:
Former San Francisco 49ers receiver Dwight Clark, known for completing "The Catch" from Joe Montana in the 1981 NFC Championship Game against the Dallas Cowboys, passed away Monday at the age of 61 after a one-year battle with ALS.
Just a nasty nasty disease. Have lost two relatives to it over the years and i dont think they are any closer to any sort of treatment/cure.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-49ers-wr-c...t-61-1.1103292

Last edited by transplant99; 06-04-2018 at 05:30 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #418
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

And it a complete shocker...not really...the orange goblin has canceled the Eagles white house visit. What a complete POS.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1553944
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #419
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Crazy sad news....an absolute iconic moment in NFL history. Thinking back i am pretty sure Vin Scully was on the microphone to call it.

Just a nasty nasty disease. Have lost two relatives to it over the years and i dont think they are any closer to any sort of treatment/cure.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-49ers-wr-c...t-61-1.1103292
His wife, Eddie DeBartolo, and Ronnie Lott (and Lott's wife) were with him today (in Whitefish) before he passed.

RIP #87
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #420
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wouldn't be an NFL offseason without a Patriot suspension;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ame-suspension

In other news T.O. being T.O. and declining to attend the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ction-ceremony

I get that he feels he should have been inducted earlier but him declining to attend pretty well reaffirms why voters took a few years to get over his selfishness as a player. A fitting way for him to ride into the sunset.