Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #41
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just to add an external conversation you guys would be surprised on the small parasitic draws going on your batteries. Any clocks on stereos, propane detectors etc. just to name a few. Many cant figure why their batteries get low sitting parked in the lot and that is one of the things that many dont realize is constantly drawing small amounts but adds up over time.

For that many days you have lots of propane, 2 batteries should be fine but again if power runs out no matter how propane you have you are pooched.

Last edited by calgarygringo; 05-24-2018 at 12:59 PM.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #42
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
buy the 40 watt solar charger that goes on sale for $90 at canadian tire all the time.

that will keep your batteries sufficiently charged to not worry about it.
Yeah, this is really good advice.

Having a simple, quiet way to recharge your batteries is key.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #43
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I have a smaller fridge in my trailer (you have to open the fridge to get to the freezer), and I find it uses about a pound per day.

My fridge also uses 3.5 watts constantly. So assuming a full charged 100 amp hour battery that you can deplete to 50%, you would get 7 days if the fridge is your only draw. My stereo and CO detector use 2 watts, so if those were on you'd get 4.5 days.

However when I had the 40 watt panel I ran my trailer including running 2 tanks of water through over 5 days, and still had plenty of power left.

There's the numbers to go with the above advice- get a solar panel. Canadian Tire will often give you "last sale price" even if it isn't on sale, or buy the Costco 100 watt model for $190.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah we have dual deep cycle batteries for the MH. A couple times i drained the batteries on cold evenings when the furnace would go on and off during cold nights on top of light usage at times and powering the water pump etc. I bought the big 100watt solar panel early last year and those suckers have never gone down past about 75% no matter how much usage was going on during the day. Best investment that i have made for the unit, bar none.

More importantly we have a built in generator that also needs the batteries to fire up, which in turn can run everything in the unit using very minimal fuel doing so. Problem was when the batteries died, I didnt have the cranking amps to fire the gen. so it was a crappy catch 22. I would have to boost them with a power pack or unhook the main MH battery and boost.

Long story short, get a solar panel and never worry about battery life.

As for the propane thing, we fill a 50LB tank at the beginning of the summer and never ever run out before seasons end, and we dont go to paid camping/plug in sites. All off-grid stuff.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #45
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
For that many days you have lots of propane, 2 batteries should be fine but again if power runs out no matter how propane you have you are pooched.
Old school 3 way Dometic fridge FTW. It still uses a pilot light. :-)
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #46
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That was the good thing with those but not any more. Technology has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #47
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
My furnace in my old 1972 trailer I lived in banff with my girlfriend in the 90s was the best. It just got super hot and radiated out heat silently. No fan, and didn't draw any power. I could keep that and the fridge going forever on one tank. Furnaces in RVs now are so loud and power hungry it's unacceptable.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #48
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone heard of the Paradise Shores RV Park by Buffalo Lake in Stettler? We are looking for seasonal sites that are kid friendly, relatively close to Calgary and has water amenities or features for swimming. Also would like to have power, water and sewer service. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by DylanScores; 05-25-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add more info
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #49
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Over the next decade I want to start camping at some nice lake areas within a 6 hour drive of Calgary, with the end goal of finding some land to buy to build a cabin or two.

With that goal in mind, I'm looking for a spot on Lake Koocanusa for late August.

I've found that most reservable spots are already booked, but there is a first come, first serve campground in Kikomun Creek Provincial Park that looks promising.
Anyone ever been there?
Reviews?
Recommendations for other campgrounds to stay at?

We are avoiding travelling to the US, so it needs to be Canadian side.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #50
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go to a bc rec site.
Gold bay is nice, beach at new gate Sandy shores is 7 minute drive
Other side there is dorr road campground which has quite a few sites
These places are 14 a night
There is a place called big springs and I was able to get a spot there in August last year. It was 25 a night. Has a dog beach
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #51
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey everyone,

I'll be renting a Dutchmen Aerolite 22 ft, 4400 lbs and 312lb hitch weight to do a long loop starting in Calgary, through to Oregon, down the coast to LA, then back up through the desert.

The owner pulls it with a V8 4Runner, and I've got one of those as well... but mine's got 315k kms on the engine and I am honestly a bit concerned it doesn't have the weight to keep it stable in high winds, or the ability to handle the high heat + hills in Southern Cali. The SUV is rated to pull 7000 lbs, though... so technically it should be within limits.

Would the 4Runner plus a sway bar be sufficient, or should I look into renting a heavy half?

If rental is the way to go, can anyone recommend a place to get a truck for a month that won't kill the bank?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #52
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Over the next decade I want to start camping at some nice lake areas within a 6 hour drive of Calgary, with the end goal of finding some land to buy to build a cabin or two.

With that goal in mind, I'm looking for a spot on Lake Koocanusa for late August.

I've found that most reservable spots are already booked, but there is a first come, first serve campground in Kikomun Creek Provincial Park that looks promising.
Anyone ever been there?
Reviews?
Recommendations for other campgrounds to stay at?

We are avoiding travelling to the US, so it needs to be Canadian side.

Sugar lake just north of Cherryville is great but it is becoming a little built up as they have a recreation community on one end now with cabins, I believe they are selling about 60 lots. You should find a copy of a book called “ camp for free in BC “ by Craig a Kathy Copeland it provides great directions to about 800 forestry sites and recreation sites most on lakes.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #53
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can I charge my trailer batteries by plugging it into my truck and letting it run?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:08 AM   #54
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Can I charge my trailer batteries by plugging it into my truck and letting it run?
Not really, you’ll get a little charge but not enough to be helpful.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #55
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, we are in the market for a new cooler that can keep things cold and ice frozen for a whole weekend, no matter the temperature. We have some coleman coolers but they suck.

We don't want to go high end like the Yeti's but will consider something in between I think. Any suggestions?

this is mainly for when we go tenting. We have a camper that has a propane fridge but it isn't very big for a family of 4, 2 of them being 14 and 16 year old boys who eat and eat!

What is CPs experience with coolers and the best out there for the price?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #56
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Question for you guys, I have a full 30lb propane tank on my trailer. How long can I run just the fridge off that before it's empty. I want to run the fridge from Tuesday evening to Sunday evening next week, the fridge will be the only thing using propane. Will the tank last that long?
Update: I was able to run my fridge the whole time and even my furnace 2 of those nights! The tank still feels about a third full. Thanks for all the help guys!

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #57
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone got a mobile RV guy they recommend? Want to see how pricing would compare to have them come out and install a fantastic fan. Thanks in advance!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #58
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
So, we are in the market for a new cooler that can keep things cold and ice frozen for a whole weekend, no matter the temperature. We have some coleman coolers but they suck.

We don't want to go high end like the Yeti's but will consider something in between I think. Any suggestions?

this is mainly for when we go tenting. We have a camper that has a propane fridge but it isn't very big for a family of 4, 2 of them being 14 and 16 year old boys who eat and eat!

What is CPs experience with coolers and the best out there for the price?

Thanks guys.
Use your largest cooler and go get 25lbs of dry ice packed as flat as you can get it. You probably lose 5-10lbs per day of dry ice but it keeps all the food you want cold and/or frozen. And use another cooler that can have ice melt but still have the water cold for milk and beer and stuff like that

Just don’t touch the dry ice without gloves and don’t let water get in with the dry ice
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #59
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Anyone got a mobile RV guy they recommend? Want to see how pricing would compare to have them come out and install a fantastic fan. Thanks in advance!
Where is your trailer at? There is a mobile place outside of Fernie who are really good.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #60
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Where is your trailer at? There is a mobile place outside of Fernie who are really good.
Calgary, up in the NW.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote