Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #41
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just wanted to bump this thread, as Im currently deciding between a Kindle and a Kobo. It sounds like Kindle has slightly better tech, but Kobo is easier for connecting to libraries and other formats. Assuming there is a workaround for Kindle to get epub books, is it a hassle to do? I'd prefer to borrow as much as possible.
There's a plugin for Calibre by Apprentice Alf that does DRM removal, but I've never tried it. I've gone from Amazon -> ePub for Kobo before but not the other way. But you should be able to borrow the book on a computer and then use a tool to strip the DRM.

Once the DRM is removed Calibre can also convert from ePub to Amazon mobi.

Alternatively you could just find a version on the Internet to download, personally I don't think there's a moral difference between using a tool to strip DRM so you can use the device you want and borrowing a book and then downloading a copy with the DRM removed to use on the device you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #42
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are workarounds for converting files between EPub and Kindle formats, though generally they require you to find software to strip the DRM off. I've never tried that with library books so I don't know how it would work.

Technology-wise I don't think there's that big a difference these days. To me the main difference is Kindle has a slightly lower price on the device but locks you into their ecosystem with a proprietary format, while Kobo uses the more widespread EPub format. However since there aren't as many sellers of EPub as there used to be that isn't as big a deal as before, really the only places I buy them from these days are Kobo or Google Play.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #43
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I moved from my Kobo ereader to using my tablet, just because its more readable.

I will still buy books that are picture or graphic heavy, and that make me look smarter then I am when they sit on my bookshelf. But I'm pretty well all electronic. The books are cheaper and they don't wear out.

I miss the smell though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #44
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just wanted to bump this thread, as Im currently deciding between a Kindle and a Kobo. It sounds like Kindle has slightly better tech, but Kobo is easier for connecting to libraries and other formats. Assuming there is a workaround for Kindle to get epub books, is it a hassle to do? I'd prefer to borrow as much as possible.
I have had both and I would go with the Kobo for sure. I have the H2O because I like soaking in the hot tub and it is water proofed. The backlight on it is a nice hue and adjustable, I have mine at 10% brightness and that is plenty for night reading. Battery life is great as well.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a kindle and went to the Kobo specifically for the library books. I’m sure there is a way to do it easily, but I didn’t want to mess around stripping DRM and whatever else. Borrowing from the library is quick and painless and I love that aspect. I don’t know if the tech is much different, but I haven’t had any concerns.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:29 PM   #46
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have had both and I would go with the Kobo for sure. I have the H2O because I like soaking in the hot tub and it is water proofed. The backlight on it is a nice hue and adjustable, I have mine at 10% brightness and that is plenty for night reading. Battery life is great as well.
I have a Kobo H2O as well and love it. Use it for an hour every day while commuting to/from work.

Backlight settings are very useful and battery lasts well over a month (around 10% brightness).
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For a dedicated e-reader, I prefer Kobo personally. I have a Kobo Aura. Works great.

Only thing I would say is to avoid the Kobo Aura One - unless you're nearly blind and need a large screen with large font. At nearly 8 inches, it's just too big and doesn't offer enough features to justify the $240 cost. Especially when the 6 inch Aura is $99 right now.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah I use a Kobo Aura as well. My favourite part about an e-reader is how it allows you to read a couple chapters for free before having to buy. I've avoided so many bad books by sampling first.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #50
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've had both, and I've enjoyed them. I ran into some firmware issues on my Kobo that would result in it needing to be wiped which was annoying. I don't see anybody else complaining though, so I probably had a lemon. I've enjoyed my Kindle quite a bit, and I just use Calibre to change formats, so I haven't found the no-epub-allowed limitation too annoying.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #51
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I've had both, and I've enjoyed them. I ran into some firmware issues on my Kobo that would result in it needing to be wiped which was annoying. I don't see anybody else complaining though, so I probably had a lemon. I've enjoyed my Kindle quite a bit, and I just use Calibre to change formats, so I haven't found the no-epub-allowed limitation too annoying.
That may not be crazy. I'm on my second kobo because my first was super glitchy, although it was a first generation that didn't even have the backlight. My library of owned books is so ginormous now that I'm kind of stuck in kobo anyway, although I love it so it's not really an issue.

Next time those Amazon tablets go on sale I'm going to buy one just to play around with it as an e-reader.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #52
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't done a software update on my Kobo in probably three years, because I find like with cellphones new updates just bog them down needlessly, and I don't know what else I need an update for. Does mine read books? Perfect. Wifi never goes on.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #53
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

So kobo is the best for ePub? Had an old Sony but the battery bit the dust
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #54
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
So kobo is the best for ePub? Had an old Sony but the battery bit the dust
For ePub yes I'd recommend a Kobo. The build quality doesn't match some of those old Sony ereaders (but nothing else out there does either), but they're decent devices with good features. Also if you had purchases from the Sony ebook store they would have been transferred to Kobo.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am wondering if there’s a version that lets you easily download books from the library these days? Mine (not sure which version) has me download it onto a computer, hook the kobo up to it and get the books on there that way. I’m looking to get one for my mother (senior citizen), and while she loves reading and such, this needs to be simple for her.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #56
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

You must have an older version?

My kids both have Kobo's and came with the overdrive app on it. You can use that to borrow straight from the library, over Wi-Fi.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #57
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My wife got a Sony e reader probably 10 years ago and still is working well. A few months ago she bought a Kobo for slightly larger screen and better lighting on it now compared to the old Sony. She has done the library thing for years and online too so lots of options. Watch the pricing as we found them all the same all over the place when she bought the new one. Not sure if it was the time of year or price is controlled but not much for good deals.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #58
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I am wondering if there’s a version that lets you easily download books from the library these days? Mine (not sure which version) has me download it onto a computer, hook the kobo up to it and get the books on there that way. I’m looking to get one for my mother (senior citizen), and while she loves reading and such, this needs to be simple for her.
My wife has the same problem with an older Kobo. Our daughter-in-law has a newer Kobo and it eliminates a step so it’s much easier.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #59
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
You must have an older version?

My kids both have Kobo's and came with the overdrive app on it. You can use that to borrow straight from the library, over Wi-Fi.
Yeah mines older (although I still use it because it works fine). So, with a new one you can browse the library and download whatever, basically seamlessly?