Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #5081
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/976499558124523521

Hey Flames, take a page out of the Rush owners and help save the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #5082
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

If you read the article, he's only covering 10%, which is less than the Flames offered.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #5083
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure the Flames owners would love to pay $20 million for a new arena. Hell, the players could pool their money together and cover $20 million.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #5084
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey its something atleast from a owner who cares about his team.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #5085
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
For me this is where Murray Edwards measure as a man gets taken though... people have suggested he left Canada because he didn't want to pay higher taxes and contribute more of his wealth to our society and now the Flames are in hard times, if he hightails it again his legacy in Canada will be nothing more than a selfish villain.
From what I understand, he left because his marriage failed. And failed publicly. He left to have a fresh start, which is his right.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #5086
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much was the team purchased for by current ownership? How much is it currently worth?
Pro sports are a vanity arrangement. They've never been a huge money making arrangement. I can understand not wanting to hemorrhage money but can we at least admit that they've made significant gains just by owning the team while the league's net value has increased? It certainly wasn't worth 600 million before but that's the sale price now.
This is all greed. Our owners are all old oil men. That industry seems doomed with current government. They saw Katz pivot into real estate up north and want to join the club. Once cgy next and the extra land opportunities were off the table they stopped engaging meaningfully. That's pretty damn transparent.
It's not about hockey or civic pride for them, it's about squeezing the most money possible out if this damn city (even while it's on its knees)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #5087
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
If you read the article, he's only covering 10%, which is less than the Flames offered.

Using a much larger % of his own net worth in a much less lucrative market. The situation is entirely different. His product also hasn't tripled in value over the last 20 years.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #5088
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What's nice about this, is you at least have an owner who is willing to speak up and engage with the public about a new arena, as opposed to just having his lackeys do all the talking. I'd have more respect for the Flames ownership position if they weren't cowering in the shadows. When is the last time we heard directly from them?
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #5089
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
What's nice about this, is you at least have an owner who is willing to speak up and engage with the public about a new arena, as opposed to just having his lackeys do all the talking. I'd have more respect for the Flames ownership position if they weren't cowering in the shadows. When is the last time we heard directly from them?
he's also an owner who has moved his team because Edmonton didn't bend over for him. fringe sport with an owner who had oiler sized asks.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #5090
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
he's also an owner who has moved his team because Edmonton didn't bend over for him. fringe sport with an owner who had oiler sized asks.
And that's exactly what CSEC has been insinuating will happen here too.

The point is, no matter what your goal or message, at least have the courtesy to speak to the people you're asking hundreds of millions of dollars from. Harley Hotchkiss got up in front of the mic and spoke to Flames fans and citizens directly...why can't this current ownership group?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #5091
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Roughnecks probably wouldn't still be around if CSEC didn't buy them. Just like the Hitmen sticking around while the Ice left Edmonton, it was a tough ticket to operate in the big arena they didn't control and didn't have a good deal with.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #5092
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post

The article doesn't go into enough detail to really understand what he's offering/receiving.

Will his team pay rent? Will they receive concession/parking money? Will they own the building? Will they property taxes?

The problem with the Flames offer is that they expected to receive all of the benefits, without any of the costs.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #5093
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
The article doesn't go into enough detail to really understand what he's offering/receiving.

Will his team pay rent? Will they receive concession/parking money? Will they own the building? Will they property taxes?

The problem with the Flames offer is that they expected to receive all of the benefits, without any of the costs.
Aside from all maintenance, liability and utilities.

But you're right, we don't know what this dude's deal is - so why is he being held up as a paragon?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #5094
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

But you're right, we don't know what this dude's deal is - so why is he being held up as a paragon?
Hmm, my recollection of the Flames offer was that since they didn't own the building, they wouldn't be paying any utilities or maintenance.

Am I wrong? I can't find any useful links about it anymore.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #5095
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hey guys, here's an idea: why don't we just get some random construction firm to build an arena and then send the Flames the invoice?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #5096
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I went back a couple pages to see if you were talking about a hypothetical, but it doesn't seem like you were.

The Flames proposal wanted the City to own the building - as in the City will pay for all maintenance, liability and utilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #5097
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
And that's exactly what CSEC has been insinuating will happen here too.

The point is, no matter what your goal or message, at least have the courtesy to speak to the people you're asking hundreds of millions of dollars from. Harley Hotchkiss got up in front of the mic and spoke to Flames fans and citizens directly...why can't this current ownership group?
Hotchkiss did have press conferences and speeches in which he said he'd have to move the team. Somehow he pulled it off. But that was a different time I guess. If Edwards did that now, people here would howl about threats.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #5098
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I went back a couple pages to see if you were talking about a hypothetical, but it doesn't seem like you were.

The Flames proposal wanted the City to own the building - as in the City will pay for all maintenance, liability and utilities.
Nope, that's just not correct. It would be like the Dome. No rent, but the Flames pay all ongoing normal expenses. Just like any commercial lease.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #5099
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hotchkiss did have press conferences and speeches in which he said he'd have to move the team. Somehow he pulled it off. But that was a different time I guess. If Edwards did that now, people here would howl about threats.
http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyCalgaryArchive/apr14_fla.html

This was one, even after they met the ticket goal:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle18424260/

Last edited by GioforPM; 03-22-2018 at 02:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #5100
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Is that how it went? At the time I thought I remember the Oilers didn't want a Lacrosse team not owned by them as a tenant and pushed him out, with the rumour that the Oilers would bring in their own Lacrosse team in the coming years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread