Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #3721
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can you get passes for the train to Tokyo from the airports? I'll be there for a 12 hour layover, would be nice to have that part figured out.
Easily. Buy a ticket on the NEX Express, it's the quickest way to get to the city centre. The ticket offices at Narita provide English services and can arrange that ticket for you no problem. You just hold on to your return ticket when you want to leave from a major station like Shinjuku, Shinagawa or Tokyo Station.

If you're landing at Haneda, you can simply take the regular subway into Tokyo. Also, Haneda is a much better, much closer airport.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #3722
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, we thought we were flying in and out of Haneda, as that is what happens on the way out. But the return leg comes into Haneda and out of Narita. So should I go to Nippon travel and get tickets here, or just deal with it there?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #3723
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want Shinkansen (bullet train) tickets that will get you to other Japanese cities, you have to get the pass at Nippon Travel here. It also includes unlimited use of the JR lines (which you will use in Tokyo, etc.). Be prepared, they're not cheap though. They are only worth the money if you plan on using the bullet trains more than two or three times. BTW, this type of flexible pass can not be purchased in Tokyo by foreigners. Weirdly enough, you have to get it in advance.

Get a one-way NEX Express ticket at any major train station in Tokyo, or even at Haneda. You could buy it the day of, but they have reserved seats so maybe buy the tickets in advance just for peace of mind. Maybe just do that when you get there.

EDIT: The JR line also goes from Narita to central Tokyo and back, but the NEX Express is so much quicker. SO MUCH QUICKER.

Last edited by Muta; 01-11-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #3724
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any tips for travelling with an infant? Planning to take a 5-6 day trip with an infant in June/July. We are wanting to go somewhere in the southern US within a 2-3 hour flight. At that time it will probably be too hot for somewhere like Phoenix. California is an option but not sure where exactly and what to consider when travelling with an infant (approximately 9 months old)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #3725
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Any tips for travelling with an infant? Planning to take a 5-6 day trip with an infant in June/July. We are wanting to go somewhere in the southern US within a 2-3 hour flight. At that time it will probably be too hot for somewhere like Phoenix. California is an option but not sure where exactly and what to consider when travelling with an infant (approximately 9 months old)

Get a place with a separate bedroom/main room. It's nice to not have to be perfectly quiet and in the dark during naps. Also, take your own sheets/play yard if you can. They sleep better with their own smells.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #3726
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any tips for travelling with an infant?
From your fellow airline passengers, please don't.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #3727
leah12
Draft Pick

I don't book with WestJet often but I will be shortly for an upcoming trip down to the USA. If I am reading their trip cancellation policy correctly I can cancel up to the day of the flight, pay a $100 trip cancellation penalty and get the full amount of my trip back in the form of a travel credit, is that true?

I was looking at their trip cancellation insurance but it appears that it costs about the same anyway and only covers things like medical expenses. Can anyone familiar with the terms please let me know if I am right? Thanks.
leah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #3728
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
We found a humidifier was a help. Our little one's first hotel stay was a nightmare due to how dry the hotel air was. Second hotel stay was smoother (still not great).

Being in the unfamiliar place with unfamiliar sounds, smells etc he didn't like too much. Don't be surprised if you don't sleep.

Our last hotel stay with our guy, he would have been about 9 months as I turned a work trip into a little vacation with the family (they explored while I was in meetings) then a vacation day on either end of the trip.

We were exhausted by the end as he didn't sleep well.

So heads up, don't expect a great sleep.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #3729
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Grow up

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #3730
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Noise cancelling headphones.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #3731
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
We found a humidifier was a help. Our little one's first hotel stay was a nightmare due to how dry the hotel air was. Second hotel stay was smoother (still not great).

Being in the unfamiliar place with unfamiliar sounds, smells etc he didn't like too much. Don't be surprised if you don't sleep.

Our last hotel stay with our guy, he would have been about 9 months as I turned a work trip into a little vacation with the family (they explored while I was in meetings) then a vacation day on either end of the trip.

Or it could be the opposite. We've traveled all over and my kid sleeps soundly anywhere.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #3732
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Great tip. We did that for awhile when travelling, but finally concluded it was actually the white noise that was helping our little guy (from the fan) so now we travel with a small white noise machine instead.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #3733
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Noise cancelling headphones.
yeah, apparently we had a ten bell crier on one of the flights I took recently and I didn't even realize it until we were about to land.

Voices are supposed to cut through noise cancelling headphones, but they mercifully blocked out that demon spawn.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #3734
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Barbados. Would be doing a bunch of diving while there, hopefully doing a wreck course and hanging out with some turtles... Anyone been? Any advice?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #3735
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was there when I was 6. Flying fish taste nasty, so don't do that. That is all I can offer.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #3736
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Great tip. We did that for awhile when travelling, but finally concluded it was actually the white noise that was helping our little guy (from the fan) so now we travel with a small white noise machine instead.
You can also download a free white noise app -- one less thing to have to pack.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #3737
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
You can also download a free white noise app -- one less thing to have to pack.
I've done that, but tend to want to use my phone during nap/after the kids bedtime.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #3738
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm thinking of taking a trip to Barbados. Would be doing a bunch of diving while there, hopefully doing a wreck course and hanging out with some turtles... Anyone been? Any advice?
I don't dive, but I've been to Barbados three times and really enjoyed it. I stay in the St. Lawrence Gap area. In general, the south coast is more of the fun, party area of the island and the west coast is where the rich have their estates. The island is small though, so it's easy to explore.

If you want something non-dive related to check out, I recommend Harrison's cave. I also went hiking on the east coast the first time I went with this professor who did hiking tours, but I don't remember the name or anything. It was a great tour though.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #3739
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could somebody explain again why something like a return flight from Calgary to London that has a short layover in Amsterdam is $780, while flying non-stop to Amsterdam on the same flight is $1220? I understand hidden city stops, I just don't understand why one flight is so much more expensive than the other. Is it purely a marketing thing of "non-stop" being considered better and demanding a higher price?

Is there a way of searching for really long layovers that don't quite count as "multi-city"
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #3740
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Could somebody explain again why something like a return flight from Calgary to London that has a short layover in Amsterdam is $780, while flying non-stop to Amsterdam on the same flight is $1220? I understand hidden city stops, I just don't understand why one flight is so much more expensive than the other. Is it purely a marketing thing of "non-stop" being considered better and demanding a higher price?

Is there a way of searching for really long layovers that don't quite count as "multi-city"
I would assume this is with KLM, a non-alliance partner. The London leg is likely at a loss to try and directly compete with the YYC-LHR direct with Air Canada. As AC doesn't fly direct to AMS from Calgary, they can charge accordingly.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote