Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #121
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So let's talk about nothing because a bunch of other unrelated stuff has been discussed previously?

Quite the bar to clear.

It was a pretty innocuous comment that refers to the portly fellow from Ottawa and his well earned reputation for making stuff up.
this is gonna be fun..
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #122
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sacrilege!

Completely agree. I think the Flames know the state of negotiations with Backlund and will be setting themselves up to deal him at the deadline. If they had the resources to eat the loss of Backlund I could see them doing so for a possible playoff run. But without the draft picks, they need to do the smart thing and manage their assets appropriately. It isn't like Backlund is ripping it up and they can't survive without his offense. They need someone to step in and be a solid contributor in certain areas, and Smith checks those boxes off. I suspect that Smith would be a stop gap measure until a player like Dube steps up and steals his milk money on him. That is still a couple years away, and we need that stop gap. With the loss of Backlund and Stajan, another center under contract is likely a requirement moving forward.
They don't have a 1st or a 2nd, and you are suggesting the smart thing to do would be to trade their #2 C at the deadline (thus ensuring the Islanders of a lottery pick)? Smart plan.

The Flames are looking to strengthen their team, not trade their best players for magic beans, right after going all in on the current roster.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #123
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They don't have a 1st or a 2nd, and you are suggesting the smart thing to do would be to trade their #2 C at the deadline (thus ensuring the Islanders of a lottery pick)? Smart plan.
In a league where continually having a full pipeline is extremely important to long-term success, then yes, trading away a player that is on an expiring contract, with no apparent hope of signing him, is the pragmatic thing to do. Especially if you can bring in another player who can fill the gap in the lineup, and gain assets while doing so. If they can find a player that can check off all the boxes they are looking for, they make the deal. The dumb deal would be to sit on Backlund, watch him walk in the summer for nothing, then go into next summer with Monahan as your only center under contract (counting Bennett and Lazar as wingers).

Quote:
The Flames are looking to strengthen their team, not trade their best players for magic beans, right after going all in on the current roster.
It is highly doubtful that Treliving did what he did without first having a good idea what Backlund's demands are and what he would have to do with him. Treliving is a smart guy, which is why I believe he saw where this was going and has a couple of centers already targeted to act as a replacement for Backlund, while having an idea where he can score the most assets by selling certain players off. If Backlund were having a better season I would agree that the Flames would be best served sitting on him and trying to get him signed, but that isn't the case. Backlund is replaceable, and probably by someone already on the team. What the team needs is another center to slide into the #3 slot and provide some depth. If Treliving finds that, Backlund is gone. Treliving won't allow a good asset to get away for nothing. He's too smart for that.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Backlund situation is resolved and he is not lost for nothing. I promoted trading him in the summer when his value was extremely high. At that time I assumed Bennett and Jankowski would be able to fill the hole but I was wrong about Bennett who is better off as a winger.

I do see upside in Jankowski that makes me believe he will be a 2nd line C. Do the Flames want to pay Backlind to be a high end 2nd line C when he might be knocked down to third on the depth chart in 1-2 years?

If the Flames have any chance of winning the cup they need Backlund. If they lose him for nothing it will be poor asset management but they also can’t overpay him. The situation is getting tricky for Trelivng and for Backlund this is his best chance for a big payday.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #125
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zack Smith 3.25m under contract until 2021 a measely 9 pts age 29, not living up to contract.

Brouwer 4.5m under contract until 2020 measely 10 pts age 32, not living up to contract.

Stajan 2.5m UFA after season a measely 1 pt age 34, not living up to contract.

3 levels of fan frustration all around. The only reason I would be for Zack Smith is only if Brouwer goes the other way just to get rid of him but even that Smith contract until 2021 with 3.25m price tag is nonsence.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #126
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

He now says:
http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/n...e-trade-market

Quote:
A league executive indicated Saturday the likes of the St. Louis Blues, Calgary Flames Florida Panthers and San Jose Sharks had likely shown interest in Hoffman, Smith and Pageau. All four teams have been sniffing around for forward help, and any of that trio would fit.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #127
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoffman is the only one of those players that makes sense. I do think the Flames would like to find a top 6 winger. It would be interesting if they could add Hoffman but I do not see a fit trade wise.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Hoffman
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik
Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway

Brouwer waives then bought out

Stajan is a piece in the deal for cap purposes.

I just don’t want to know what the price would be probably too high
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #128
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoffman is the answer to the one roster hole we have right now - a sniping winger who has a big one-timer and can outright destroy goalies with a quick release on the rush.

I’d happily trade a fair bit from the prospect pool (incl. the ‘19 first) to acquire him.

Make it so, Tree. Make it so.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #129
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Hoffman is the answer to the one roster hole we have right now - a sniping winger who has a big one-timer and can outright destroy goalies with a quick release on the rush.

I’d happily trade a fair bit from the prospect pool (incl. the ‘19 first) to acquire him.

Make it so, Tree. Make it so.

He also would help the PP with his lethal shot one would think.

He kind of fits like a glove with his age, abilities and contract. The only thing that would make him a better fit is if he was a right hand shot.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #130
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Garrioch: Flames interested in Zack Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He also would help the PP with his lethal shot one would think.

He kind of fits like a glove with his age, abilities and contract. The only thing that would make him a better fit is if he was a right hand shot.

Exactly. Adding an off-wing one-timer like Hoffman’s on the PP would be huge for the PP.

He’s the right fit, and I hope he ends up here. It’s be an added bonus if he shot right, but you can easily look past that in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #131
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree the Flames should consider trading their 2019 1st for a 29 year old left shot.

He is an okay fit but not one to sell the farm on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #132
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I disagree the Flames should consider trading their 2019 1st for a 29 year old left shot.

Committing two years worth of picks (18 and 19) to a window of contending is not a crazy thought, and if you look at our roster - there isn’t going to be significant change other than the push of our already solid prospect pool.

Go for it. You have to be bold to win, and once you win you then get to focus on maintaining. Staying conservative is not how you win a Cup.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #133
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

The 31st overall pick is hardly the farm.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #134
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
The 31st overall pick is hardly the farm.
the current ask for Kane is a 1st, a top prospect and a 2nd (if kane resigns)...

no one is getting Hoffman for one 1st round pick
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #135
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the current ask for Kane is a 1st, a top prospect and a 2nd (if kane resigns)...

no one is getting Hoffman for one 1st round pick
I was just commenting on the value of our 2019 first, not Hoffman.

Also, the original trade proposal (not mine) suggested that quite a bit from the prospect pool would be included).
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #136
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Committing two years worth of picks (18 and 19) to a window of contending is not a crazy thought, and if you look at our roster - there isn’t going to be significant change other than the push of our already solid prospect pool.

Go for it. You have to be bold to win, and once you win you then get to focus on maintaining. Staying conservative is not how you win a Cup.
Staying conservative could keep the window open longer. I don’t feel you trade a 1st in consecutive years for a 2nd pairing D and 2nd line forward. This is already when the Flames are without a 2nd for the next 3 drafts.

If they give up another 1st let season target the right player at the right age. Not another left shot who is 29 and only has another year on his contract. The more I think about it the more I believe that would be a terrible move.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #137
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The LA Kings were no more bold than Calgary IMO. They spent picks and prospects to get Carter and Richards, and, later Gaborik, comparable to Calgary acquiring Hamilton, Hamonic and Smith. But those guys were, IMO, significant upgrades.

I'm happy to pursue Hoffman, but not at any price.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #138
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

in order of usefulness to the team...

Hoffman>>>Pageau>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ice cream>>>>>>>>>>Zack Smith
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #139
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
in order of usefulness to the team...

Hoffman>>>Pageau>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ice cream>>>>>>>>>>Zack Smith
I think you're massively underrating the effects of ice cream on team morale
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #140
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoffman sure looks like a solid consistent goal scorer. Something the Flames do not have in their system currently. Maybe Mangiapane, maybe Dube. Emphasis on maybe.
He fills a real need on this team. You don’t pursue any trade at all costs but I would be very, very interested.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote