Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Actually of all the teams in the NFC I was hoping the Eagles would get the Falcons. Going to be a tough game for them but I think they matchup better with Atlanta than any of the other teams. I don't really know that Quinn is a better coach than Pederson but Atlanta definitely has a big advantage at QB.
The Eagles have to hope the weather is going to be cold on Saturday as that's probably their only hope of slowing down the Falcons offense. After seeing Foles last two games it's hard to imagine them winning as the Falcons have a better, more aggressive defense than the Raiders or Cowboys.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #142
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
1. I'm pretty sure no one said that ever
2. Mariota's ceiling appears to be the poor man's version of Alex Smith, so I wouldn't be all chest out if I were you.
It's been a long time since Steve McNair was a Titan, that was the last time we had a good QB, let me enjoy this. I've had to endure, Hurt Locker, VY, Hasselback, Collins, Rusty Smith (who was cut by the Stamps), Billy Volek and I'm sure some other scrubs I've forgotten about. I feel like the Israelites wondering the dessert until we found Mariota
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #143
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Israelites wondering the dessert might be my favourite inadvertent Ricky-ism ever.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #144
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Eagles have to hope the weather is going to be cold on Saturday as that's probably their only hope of slowing down the Falcons offense. After seeing Foles last two games it's hard to imagine them winning as the Falcons have a better, more aggressive defense than the Raiders or Cowboys.
Just caught LaCanfora on 960, he said it's forecasted to be nice on the east coast this weekend. Lining up to be a 50F degree difference from this past weekend there.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #145
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It's been a long time since Steve McNair was a Titan, that was the last time we had a good QB, let me enjoy this. I've had to endure, Hurt Locker, VY, Hasselback, Collins, Rusty Smith (who was cut by the Stamps), Billy Volek and I'm sure some other scrubs I've forgotten about. I feel like the Israelites wondering the dessert until we found Mariota
I mean Mariota is better than those QBs, sure, but this year he had more INTs than TDs. The only other regular starters to do that this year were Kizer and Siemian, both of whom are the definition of future career backups. Now I'm not saying Mariota will be that, but he's pretty likely to end up somewhere in the realm of league average or slightly above/below that. And it's not just stats either, I've seen enough for the eye test to tell me he'll never be elite or even great. But as Flacco showed us, league average can win you a SB with just one run.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #146
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 things I learned this weekend.

-Don't assume the game is over at half time no matter how good KC looked.
-Bills should have picked up Kaepernick
-The refs should stick together as a unit in the playoffs instead of sticking a bunch of good single refs, that have never worked together, to do a game for the first time.
Seen some pretty amateur reffing going on.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #147
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean Mariota is better than those QBs, sure, but this year he had more INTs than TDs. The only other regular starters to do that this year were Kizer and Siemian, both of whom are the definition of future career backups. Now I'm not saying Mariota will be that, but he's pretty likely to end up somewhere in the realm of league average or slightly above/below that. And it's not just stats either, I've seen enough for the eye test to tell me he'll never be elite or even great. But as Flacco showed us, league average can win you a SB with just one run.
You gotta remember he is still very young. In terms of best young QBs he's already surpassed Winston, Bortles, Taylor and Dak IMO and is on par with guys like Wentz,Geoff and Carr. He does have to improve his decision making tho and hopefully with a full offseason he can return to his form last season. Both him and Carr haven't been as good as last year and I think both missing basically the entire offseason contributed to that, it will be interesting to see how Wentz does next season.

The reffing the entire season in the NFL has been garbage and it continued in the Titans/Chiefs game. Mariota fumbled twice which thankfully the refs said he didnt and botched the call, they had a horrible spot which Mularky had to challenge, Kelce looked to have fumbled when he got hit but wasn't reviewed, there was a routine catch by the Chiefs that for some reason was reviewed, Henry was clearly down when he fumbled but the refs let the play continue. This is a billion dollar league and you can't find competent refs for a playoff game?
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #148
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Actually of all the teams in the NFC I was hoping the Eagles would get the Falcons. Going to be a tough game for them but I think they matchup better with Atlanta than any of the other teams. I don't really know that Quinn is a better coach than Pederson but Atlanta definitely has a big advantage at QB.
Oh no doubt the Falcons are a better matchup for you guys than Saints or Vikings. Both of those teams are very balanced and Minny’s D is downright frightening.

Re coaching, in a normal game I would agree with you. Quinn’s Achilles heel is Andy Reid-like clock management blunders. But he has coached in 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls and is now 3-1 in the playoffs as coach of the Falcons.

I have to think the strategy against the Eagles will be the same as the Rams game. Stack the box against the run, put the DB’s in man and dare Foles to beat them through the air. But given the cold weather I think both teams will be anxious to stick to the run game as long as possible.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #149
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

Can't forget Charlie Whitehurst.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #150
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Who was that guy who took a selfie before the game and had JJ Watt mock him? Was that Zack Metzenberger?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #151
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Who was that guy who took a selfie before the game and had JJ Watt mock him? Was that Zack Metzenberger?
Oh ya him too. It was Zach Mettenberger.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #152
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Didnt see it mentioned but the Bears hired KC OC Matt Nagy as their HC today.

Interesting.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #153
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
how can anyone forget Clipboard Jesus??
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #154
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Didnt see it mentioned but the Bears hired KC OC Matt Nagy as their HC today.

Interesting.
His best attribute is that he isn't John Fox.

What I find interesting is that Colts GM Chris Ballard was reportedly interested in offering Nagy the job but he chose the Bears. That could mean the Bears roster including Mitch Trubisky was a superior situation.

I think that may speak volumes as to the injury riddled situation of Andrew Luck..?

Also I'm quite happy with the hiring, I think Eagles' DeFilippo was my #1 choice with Nagy being the runner up.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #155
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
His best attribute is that he isn't John Fox.

What I find interesting is that Colts GM Chris Ballard was reportedly interested in offering Nagy the job but he chose the Bears. That could mean the Bears roster including Mitch Trubisky was a superior situation.

I think that may speak volumes as to the injury riddled situation of Andrew Luck..?

Also I'm quite happy with the hiring, I think Eagles' DeFilippo was my #1 choice with Nagy being the runner up.
The nut job owner was probably a factor. Sucks to lose him...now Reid like his previous life self Mary Schottenheimer has two apprentices from his tree who can win the playoff games he couldn't.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #156
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well for this weekend I'm like most other people on the planet with the AFC games...

I like New England and Pittsburgh to win in the AFC. I probably come across as a bitter loser, but I can't see any way for the Titans to beat New England. The Patriots won't crawl in a hole if Gronk goes down. So I expect they'll be able to score in both halves. Defensively, they'll actually be able to formulate a way to stop Derek Henry, and force Mariota to beat them in the passing game. So I expect this one to end up like 38-14 type of thing. For the record KC wasn't going to beat New England either...Chiefs likely find a way to lose by one score and screw up the clock management in a game they were never really in.

Some might pick Pittsburgh could beat the Jaguars. But I'll go with the Steelers. I think the Jags caught the Steelers sleeping a bit early in the season when they weren't entirely in sync. In fact that game was a big time wake up call for the Steelers who were 3-2 after that game, and went on to play much better after that only losing the one game to New England. Jacksonville no doubt has a nasty defence, but I don't think they have enough on both sides of the ball to roll with this Steeler team.

The NFC is where it gets tricky.

For the last 8 weeks of the season I've been mulling over who I like better in a Vikings and Saints game. The Vikings are in essence a team with no one dominant personality that gets the spotlight. Since the 0-2 start the Saints have won 12 of 15 games. The Saints clearly have the superior QB going into this matchup. I see this one as a real coin flip. In the end I'll go with the Saints, largely because in my lifetime the Vikings have been a slightly superior NFC version of the Chiefs. They make the playoffs quite frequently, and have good talent, but outside of some outlier years haven't really had that elite level guy at QB that they can rely on year in and year out. As a result they've typically not won in the playoffs as much. Vikings have been to some NFC Championship games, but haven't been to a Superbowl in my lifetime. Still the Vikings are a team that a neutral observer can get behind.

In the other game, I see a lot of people going against the Eagles....I'll jump on that band wagon too. The Eagles could win if their defence really brings it that day, and it can be a very good unit. Even Foles shows flashes of being able to have a day on offence where he could match a struggling Matt Ryan. But in the end, I think Atlanta has an under rated defence, and all their weapons on offence. But I think this could be a better game than some are expecting.

I can see the NFC games going either way...no way I can see either of the Titans or Jags in the AFC Title game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #157
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly if the Vikings don't make the Super Bowl this year, they might never make it. The board has lined up perfectly for them with all of the other injuries in the NFC.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #158
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Sounds good to me.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #159
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly if the Vikings don't make the Super Bowl this year, they might never make it. The board has lined up perfectly for them with all of the other injuries in the NFC.
We all know what this means: utterly crushing, historically devastating loss incoming. Hopefully Paul Allen's reaction is as good as when Favre threw the interception.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #160
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We all know what this means: utterly crushing, historically devastating loss incoming. Hopefully Paul Allen's reaction is as good as when Favre threw the interception.
Paul Allen?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote