Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well rats, Brayden Schnur lost in the Playford Challenger final (set scores were 6-4 6-2). Still, a great run to his first ever ATP Challenger final and he will have a new career high ATP ranking of #185 on Monday.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #22
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis is playing the ATP event in Auckland this week and his first opponent is Rogerio Dutra Silva of Brazil. If he is able to win that match, he'll face Delpo who has a first round bye.

/Reminds me of the Rogers Cup in Montreal last summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #23
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

No saving of four match points this time as Denis advances in straight sets to face Delpo on Wednesday.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #24
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Murray had hip surgery and is out until Wimbledon. He is going to fall hard in his rankings. With Djoker looking like he won't play the Aussie Open this is Rogers to lose. Could Rafa/Roger sweep the majors again this year?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm actually reasonably confident predicting that at least 2 majors will go to first time winners this year. I don't trust any of the veterans bodies to hold up for sustained dominance at this point.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #26
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Aussie Open we could see two previous no major winners in the finals. It will be tough for Nadal to get back to the finals , I have more confidence in Roger to make it back. Djoker is the wild card as he's the greatest Aussie Open player of all time, but how healthy is he?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #27
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Well rats, Brayden Schnur lost in the Playford Challenger final (set scores were 6-4 6-2). Still, a great run to his first ever ATP Challenger final and he will have a new career high ATP ranking of #185 on Monday.
7 Canadian players ranked inside the top 200 is something I didn't see coming at this point last season. Fantastic depth being assembled from top to bottom.

If Denis continues to improve and Milos can get healthy, Canadian tennis will be a formidable force for the next decade even if Felix does not become the player he looks to be turning into.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #28
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aussie Open qualifying starts today and Brayden Schnur is in action against Yuki Bhambri of India (a re-match of their Davis Cup tilt in Edmonton). Hopefully, Brayden can turn the tables on Yuki this time.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #29
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Delpo exacts revenge on Shapo defeating Denis in straight sets 6-2 6-4. Vasek, Frank the Tank, and Peter Polansky all advanced in Aussie Open qualifying, Filip Peliwo and Brayden Schnur did not.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #30
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely no excuses for Rafa to not win Aussie, on paper it's an even bigger cakewalk than the US Open was. Also once again makes half the tournament mostly unwatchable. Really need to do a better job balancing the draws.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #31
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tennis Canada‏@TennisCanada
Canadians in #AusOpen draw:
Bouchard vs. Océane Dodin
Shapovalov vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas
Raonic vs. Lukas Lacko
Plays begins Sunday night. #CdnTennis
Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #32
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Absolutely no excuses for Rafa to not win Aussie, on paper it's an even bigger cakewalk than the US Open was. Also once again makes half the tournament mostly unwatchable. Really need to do a better job balancing the draws.
This may be one of the most exciting draws in a very long time. The Federer and Thiem quarters have upsets written all over them with players like Raonic, DelPotro, Berdych, Djokovic and Wawrinka all ranked much lower than they'd normally be.

Sure, the Dimitrov and Nadal quarters leave a little to be desired but Schwartzman, Kyrgios, Shapovalov and Pouille make things more dynamic than you'd think at first glance as well.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #33
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year's draw was far, far better. There's basically no reason to watch every other day of men's draw since, like the US Open, all of the intrigue is on one day.

I'll also predict Denis doesn't even get out of R1. Tsiptas is a bad matchup.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #34
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Last year's draw was far, far better. There's basically no reason to watch every other day of men's draw since, like the US Open, all of the intrigue is on one day.

I'll also predict Denis doesn't even get out of R1. Tsiptas is a bad matchup.
I find I usually don't watch the top 4,5 seeds until the second week anyway at Majors as they typically always have a cake walk until that point. The only way to fix this problem is to do away with seeding players and just randomly generate draws of the top 100 plus qualifiers. I would also love to see the first round be a best of 3 as some have proposed.

I agree it is a tough matchup for Denis, especially given how he's played this year thus far. The big thing working in his favour is that he's played several 5 set matches now and I don't believe the Greek has played any to this point and that will hurt him.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #35
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

they are going back to only 16 seeds in 2019

Old 01-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #36
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be fun if they were doing 16 seeds this year, since Kyrgios is 17. I wanna pick Kyrgios to win the tournament, but what has he done for me to trust he can keep it together?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #37
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aussie Open is Nadals worst tournament historically (Wimbledon is now tho) so it won't be easy. I hope Djoker,and Fed just absolutely go to war in their half like a 6 hour 5 setter and then they have to play a fresh Nadal in the finals If Nadal can win the Aussie Open he will have won each Major twice being the first man to do so in the modern era, Vamanos!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #38
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would be fun if they were doing 16 seeds this year, since Kyrgios is 17. I wanna pick Kyrgios to win the tournament, but what has he done for me to trust he can keep it together?
Well, he did win the tourney in Brisbane, so he's coming into the tourney in good form.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #39
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

well...at least this time Murray pulled out before the draw, instead of bumming around until Sunday and then dropping out to eff up all the matchups. given the questionable health of so many of these guys, I wonder if we'll see one or two high profile dropouts this weekend.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #40
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kinda off topic but not really... I've been waiting for a new tennis video game for sooo long. Last time I bought a PS3 in order to play Top Spin 4. I think I might just straight up buy a Switch to play this!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...mode_to_switch

Also that bottom half of the AO draw is so incredibly stacked. Yeesh, it should be a fun dogfight (or a nothingburger if all the injured people are just off their game).
Closed Thread