Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #701
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Ummm I think both of my points stand as SuperMatty so eloquently pointed out. These teams are not only financial drivers (I do agree with you that I don't give a #### if FIFA makes or loses money) but they also create the intrigue. You clearly dislike Italian football which means they have done their job. They have you talking. I don't see you complaining about the style of play or state of soccer in Georgia. As I have stated, people either love or hate Italy, there seems to be no in between. Not having them there is disappointing because the tournament has lost some of its spice.

As for Croatia, keep dreaming if you think you will ever join the upper echelon of football power houses.
Really? I think you're really wrong on that point. Right now Croatia develops talent but they dont have the coaching or organization to support it.

But I'd 'Never say Never.'

Holland and Italy just missed the World Cup. Could Croatia take a few steps? I wouldnt be ruling it out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #702
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Croatia is interesting because they have a lot of great midfielders and attackers right now but it remains to be scene if this is the start of them joining that Upper Echelon or just a "Golden Era".

It seems to happen every couple of years where a country produces a couple of World class players at the same time, only to then not duplicate that success again.

The Czech's with Nedved, Ukraine with Schevchenko, Denmark with Schmeichel immediately come to mind just in the last 20 or so years.

As for this version of Croatia on it's own I think they could suprise a lot of teams. Midfield always seems to be important on the international stage and if they play the right system they have a midfield that can own any game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #703
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yugoslavia have always had the talent and the flair. They were amazing before the breakup in 1992. 1990 Quarterfinalists. Probably would have won Euro 92.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #704
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Croatia is interesting because they have a lot of great midfielders and attackers right now but it remains to be scene if this is the start of them joining that Upper Echelon or just a "Golden Era".

It seems to happen every couple of years where a country produces a couple of World class players at the same time, only to then not duplicate that success again.

The Czech's with Nedved, Ukraine with Schevchenko, Denmark with Schmeichel immediately come to mind just in the last 20 or so years.

As for this version of Croatia on it's own I think they could suprise a lot of teams. Midfield always seems to be important on the international stage and if they play the right system they have a midfield that can own any game.
Egypt with Salah.

I'm always skeptical of superstars from non-traditional soccer countries, I was hugely skeptical of Salah but what can you say? The guy delivers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #705
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Portugal is another one, people think they are a powerhouse but they only played in TWO World Cup before the Figo era.

what El-Hadji Diouf's Senegal? That guy was a character

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #706
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I agree actually - and IIRC it took a complete failure at a Euro Cup for Germany to re-look at their federation and youth development system.

Hopefully this lights a fire under the Italian Federation to change their outdated views on development and training.

Although the one thing that does make me sad is that I think Conte did more with a worse team at the last Euros - so you never know what he could have done with this group that was undoubtedly more talented.
Thats lipstick on the Pig IMO.

A good coach can get results out of a pub team depending on circumstances (See: Everton/Liverpool last week).

Thats not a solution though.

There has been something foul in the states of Italy and Holland for a while now and I think this is the Purge.

And yeah, you can say that you think Conte could have dragged them over the line and you may well be right, but thats just kicking the can down the road until the next time someone cant.

Holland hit their Zenith in 2010 and are now at one of their lowest points, you could probably say the same about Italy and 2006. Both Countries will be back, but both share a similar trajectory.

They got their teeth kicked in. Time to adapt.

Sports are Dynamic. You have to adapt to survive or be left behind and the Dutch and Italians trotted out a bunch of retreads past their best-before-dates and are being left behind. Who could have seen that coming?

Then you look at the Germans and they've got kids you've never heard of challenging veterans for Starting XI spots. Thats what you need, not trotting out Sneijder and Robben on the wrong side of 30 to hope they can drag your ass out of the fire. Similar to the Italians where they reportedly had veteran players setting the lineup.

Theres lots of issues there.

It sucks, but if its taken as a wake-up call then Italy and Holland, and honestly, all of European football, will be better off for it.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #707
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Ummm I think both of my points stand as SuperMatty so eloquently pointed out. These teams are not only financial drivers (I do agree with you that I don't give a #### if FIFA makes or loses money) but they also create the intrigue. You clearly dislike Italian football which means they have done their job. They have you talking. I don't see you complaining about the style of play or state of soccer in Georgia. As I have stated, people either love or hate Italy, there seems to be no in between. Not having them there is disappointing because the tournament has lost some of its spice.

As for Croatia, keep dreaming if you think you will ever join the upper echelon of football power houses.

at least we're in the World Cup.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #708
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats lipstick on the Pig IMO.

A good coach can get results out of a pub team depending on circumstances (See: Everton/Liverpool last week).

Thats not a solution though.

There has been something foul in the states of Italy and Holland for a while now and I think this is the Purge.

And yeah, you can say that you think Conte could have dragged them over the line and you may well be right, but thats just kicking the can down the road until the next time someone cant.

Holland hit their Zenith in 2010 and are now at one of their lowest points, you could probably say the same about Italy and 2006. Both Countries will be back, but both share a similar trajectory.

They got their teeth kicked in. Time to adapt.

Sports are Dynamic. You have to adapt to survive or be left behind and the Dutch and Italians trotted out a bunch of retreads past their best-before-dates and are being left behind. Who could have seen that coming?

Then you look at the Germans and they've got kids you've never heard of challenging veterans for Starting XI spots. Thats what you need, not trotting out Sneijder and Robben on the wrong side of 30 to hope they can drag your ass out of the fire. Similar to the Italians where they reportedly had veteran players setting the lineup.

Theres lots of issues there.

It sucks, but if its taken as a wake-up call then Italy and Holland, and honestly, all of European football, will be better off for it.
I'm not overly familiar with the situation in the Netherlands but for Italy it is more than just a sporting problem. This isn't just a corrupt FA or poor development paths etc. Their issue is cultural. I don't think just having better development systems will fix it. They'll never get rid of the corruption, the racism and discrimination, not to mention the cultural malaise.

I think it is probable Italy is headed for a long decline into mediocrity as a sporting nation and I'm not sure how long it'll take before they can bounce back, if they ever do.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #709
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FA is adopting the NFLs Rooney Rule for future coaching decisions.

Quote:
The Football Association has confirmed that it will enforce the ‘Rooney Rule’ when appointing future coaching roles within the England set-up. This means at least one Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic applicant with the relevant qualifications and experience will be interviewed by FA figures for coaching positions.

Chief executive Martin Glenn said the rule will "absolutely" be implemented when selecting Gareth Southgate's successor as England manager.

“The principles of a voluntary ‘Rooney Rule’ will be formally adopted by the England team set up,” the FA confirmed on Tuesday. “This will ensure at least one BAME candidate will be interviewed for every role as long as such a candidate has applied and meets the recruitment criteria.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a8149611.html
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #710
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Giggs has been appointed Wales manager.

lol, good luck with that.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #711
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Ryan Giggs has been appointed Wales manager.

lol, good luck with that.
Hide your Wives...

Old 03-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #712
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

France should probably go ahead and sack Deschamps now rather than wait to sack him after the inevitable France disappointment. Would probably be the heavy favorites to win if they had Low instead. What a waste of talent.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #713
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tahiti with the big win over New Caledonia!

Old 03-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #714
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jordan henderson now has more caps than michael carrick

This is why we dont get nice things
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #715
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

Oh thats far from the reason that English fans cant have nice things...

Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #716
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that English team does not inspire me with a lot of confidence. My trust in Southgate is virtually non-existent, but apart from the obvious exceptions like Kane it also does not seem like a very good group in general. Not holding my breath over the WC performance.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #717
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Higuain is gonna start this summer over Aguero because it's hard to miss these sitters from six yards out, really takes a special talent.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-27-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #718
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brazil is so much more balanced than 4 years ago, amazing what having a real high end coach can do. Hard to asses this game given neymar Ozil Muller were not playing but with a healthy Neymar Brazil has the potential to go all the way.
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #719
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

Such a god damn travesty.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #720
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garreth Barry and James Milner being spotted ahead of Carrick.

Those sting almost as bad.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote