Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #681
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s almost as if I see funny things and respond with something I think is equally ridiculous to highlight it, and those that get it do, those that don’t don’t, and I log off, never having given a second thought to how Corsi would grade my post if it was actually an academic paper and not just a fun post on a message board.
Fair enough, but you can understand how it's pretty hard to parse the posts where people are trying to have an actual conversation from those in which people are, apparently, just trying to get their rocks off by being trolls. Particularly when those trolls sometimes at least seem to want to be taken seriously.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #682
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Fair enough, but you can understand how it's pretty hard to parse the posts where people are trying to have an actual conversation from those in which people are, apparently, just trying to get their rocks off by being trolls. Particularly when those trolls sometimes at least seem to want to be taken seriously.
Not everything that affects you amounts to trolling, and using tools like hyperbole or satire for a very specific effect (that, again, some people grasped, some didn’t) is not mutually exclusive to wanting to be taken seriously.

It’s worth remembering that not every post that’s a little lighter is trolling, not every post that someone enjoys writing amounts to “getting ones rocks off,” and not every post is written to meet your desired level of seriousness or academia.

But here I am defending the use of different rhetorical devices to the guy who thinks pointing out that obvious hyperbole is hyperbole and expressing un-nuanced views on the importance of nuance is actually “attempting to have a conversation” and definitely not trolling, so what do I know.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 12-08-2017 at 05:46 PM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #683
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some people take themselves way too seriously here. Sometimes a one-liner or a 'hot take' can deliver a message more effectively than a 1,000 word dissertation.

But apparently a few folks here are vying for the title of 'smartest person on CalPuck.'

If a poster is incapable of making their point without being condescending to the poster they are responding to, I think it says a lot about their ego.

I'm no SJW but I found the 'rebuttals' to PsYcNeT to be very condescending and a tad aggressive.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #684
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, you don't find Psycenet condescending and aggressive? I think that's what he's going for.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #685
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really does anyone care that Hollywood is devolving into a incestious clown orgy? The quality of film being produced has taken a backseat to product placement and re-hashing old glory for quite a stretch now. "Oh cool, Spider-Man 38 is out, lemme grab my Dr Pepper durrr." The methodology they use for producing, promoting and selling movies reads like a line from a Easy E song. Make a mill here make a mill there #### a bitch here #### a bitch there yeaaaahhh.

And the masses rejoice.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #686
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Really does anyone care that Hollywood is devolving into a incestious clown orgy? The quality of film being produced has taken a backseat to product placement and re-hashing old glory for quite a stretch now. "Oh cool, Spider-Man 38 is out, lemme grab my Dr Pepper durrr." The methodology they use for producing, promoting and selling movies reads like a line from a Easy E song. Make a mill here make a mill there #### a bitch here #### a bitch there yeaaaahhh.

And the masses rejoice.
I don't think it's devolved into anything. It's always been this way, if not worse, from the days of "Talkies" onwards. The "casting couch" isn't a new phenomenon.

Also, while it's off topic, I think movie making continues to get better and better partly due to technology and partly due to the natural evolution of the art form. Of course, if you're focusing on commercial films that are solely intended for mindless entertainment and making gobs of money, then you certainly won't be impressed by the quality of the product. The interesting thing in Hollywood now is that studios, actors, directors and producers make the fluff films to make lots of money and many of them use some of that money to create their passion-products which are often the best films every year but generally not commercially successful.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #687
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also TV has become the medium for good storytelling over spectacle. So yes you have Ttansformers vs DC vs Marvel 13 but you get great TV starting from The Wire and Sopranos onward. So the creative story telling isn't gone it's just moved into a more effective medium.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #688
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post

And the masses rejoice.
What a bizarre post.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #689
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judging by Anthony Bourdain's Twitter today, looks like Monday might be a bad day for some celebrity chefs.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #690
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Judging by Anthony Bourdain's Twitter today, looks like Monday might be a bad day for some celebrity chefs.

Wasn’t he just talking about the incident with musician from from “Queens of the Stone Age” kicking a journalist’s camera?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #691
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wasn’t he just talking about the incident with musician from from “Queens of the Stone Age” kicking a journalist’s camera?
He was but he also tweeted that Monday is was going to suck even more than today and there have been rumours going around Twitter that something is brewing with a celebrity chef, and I think that's what he was alluding to.

Also, Josh Homme, wtf was that, dude?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #692
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
BAM!

But seriously hopefully not Emeril, even though he's not a celebrity really anymore, he seemed like a swell chap. I bet it's Mario Batalli, that dude is creepy. It's the Crocs.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #693
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
BAM!

But seriously hopefully not Emeril, even though he's not a celebrity really anymore, he seemed like a swell chap. I bet it's Mario Batalli, that dude is creepy. It's the Crocs.
Good guess.

https://ny.eater.com/2017/12/11/1675...ct-allegations

Quote:
“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted," Batali said. "That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family."
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #694
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BAM!

It's the swell chaps you gotta watch out for.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #695
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would anyone like some sausage?
Spoiler!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #696
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

"LOL that totally sounds like what I'd do! I'm really sorry for anybody I hurt. Honest!"
-Mario Batali.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #697
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
I had never heard of Mario Batali until today but I do remember seeing him on an episode of Buzzfeed's "Worth it" where the guys went to try out different slices of pizza in NYC.

Right away I got the weirdo, creep, glutton vibe from him (the weinstein vibe?).

It doesn't surprise me at all that he would be an inappropriate toucher at work kind of guy.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #698
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet it's Mario Batalli, that dude is creepy. It's the Crocs.
I just searched for his Hot One's episode, and it appears to be off line.

Dude is very creepy, ponytail doesn't help either.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #699
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just searched for his Hot One's episode, and it appears to be off line.

Dude is very creepy, ponytail doesn't help either.
The ponytail weirds you out? Not the sausage around his neck? Thats weird....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Would anyone like some sausage?
Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #700
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The ponytail weirds you out? Not the sausage around his neck? Thats weird....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: