Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Edmonton Rentals / Real Estate...

My son is looking at going to NAIT next year for Post Secondary...

In general Edmonton (LOL) sucks but what are the better neighborhoods to look at for rentals / condos etc...

I'm not opposed to buying a place if the price and neighborhood is good.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's your budget for renting and what's your budget for for buying? I know realtor suggestions can be annoying but if you want a name I'll give you the guy I used to buy and sell here in Edmonton.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
My son is looking at going to NAIT next year for Post Secondary...

In general Edmonton (LOL) sucks but what are the better neighborhoods to look at for rentals / condos etc...

I'm not opposed to buying a place if the price and neighborhood is good.

Thanks.
If he's going to NAIT, the most immediate neighborhoods are Spruce Avenue, Alberta Avenue, and Westwood. My following assessment is having family in the aforementioned areas and visiting over the last 30 years. I also live in Edmonton now.

Pros: Cheap rent, other students, amenities close by.
Cons: Sketchy at times, especially towards Alberta Avenue.

Anything else around there (Prince Charles, Prince Rupert, Queen Mary Park, Delton) is basically the same. Although if I had a general rule it would be stay west of the old airport and north of 111 Ave.

If he's cool to go out a bit further (e.g. using Transit), then I recommend staying in Oliver, Garneau, Park Allen, or Strathcona. However, these are further away and a bit pricier. Somewhere closer? Probably Westmount, although that also requires transit.

If I had to pick, I'd probably do Oliver based on young people, close-by amenities, etc. However that would imply taking transit of course, or at least biking in the warm months.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 11-13-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

These two resources will probably be useful when considering a final location.

http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca

https://www.edmonton.ca/edmonton-tra...ystem-ets.aspx
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son did three years at U of A and then transferred to U of C. He rented for two years and we bought a condo for his third year, which in hindsight, was a mistake. Housing stock in central Edmonton is very old and for the most part dilapidated. E=NG. Lots of rental options are available. My son and a roommate rented a large two-bedroom apartment in an old downtown highrise paying $1,800 in total (split in two) + $50/2 electricity. Areas closer to NAIT will be cheaper, but your options would be limited to old apartment walk-ups, fourplexes or basements in really old houses.

We bought a 2-bdrm condo in a relatively new highrise for $350,000 right off Jasper Ave. Sold it exactly a year later for the same price but lost +/-$20K on commissions. Condo fees+insurance+taxes were approximately $500/month. Plus mortgage payments, of course. We rented half of the apartment to another student for $900/month.

Edmonton housing market is doing really poorly right now, so lots of discounts on the market, if you choose to buy. Also, lots of investor-owned condos for rent, which is the way I suggest you take.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions. I can connect you to the realtor that assisted us.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

I sell condos and townhomes for a builder in Edmonton and area. I'm happy to give you some information and answer any questions you might have about neighbourhoods, safety, transit etc. I made the mistake of just moving up here without doing that research and there are some real crummy areas/buildings to avoid.

Send me a message if I can help.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post: