Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #5921
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was far to lazy to put the spikes on this morning, so risked it. No problem this morning, hopefully I can say the same tonight!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #5922
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spikes are almost always overkill. A little wet today, very pleasant.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #5923
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, my rear tire is pretty slick though, and at temps below zero turns into a curling slider. So my winters are more necessary. Plus I've got a few sections through confederation that get pretty ugly and are un-ridable without studs, particularly one steep hill. And walking sucks! I tend to need the studs earlier than most pathway peddlers do.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #5924
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm so lazy that I have summer bike and winter bike. Winter bike will always have the studded tires on, so even while overkill I get to hear the sound of sizzling bacon when I ride it on pavement. So worth it!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #5925
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe once my garage is done and I have some extra cash I can have a summer and winter bike too! And a fat bike. That'd make, uh..5! Sounds like a good number.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #5926
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hate the rolling resistance. I have to ride 16 or 17km. Not worth it to me. 90% of the time, the path is plowed. I just have to be careful riding out of my own cul de sac.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #5927
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it is absolutely more work but I keep mine pumped up pretty firm. I only go 6 km, so I see where your decision is tougher!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #5928
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I pump them up before every ride in the morning, 85psi for life.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #5929
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Anyone thinking about moving to studded tires should be aware that they have to take it easy on them for the first 40km or so. No fast breaking, ripping around corners, etc. The studs need some time to bed into the tires properly.

If you start flying around on them right away, especially on dry pavement, the studs can fall out.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #5930
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between yesterday and today I've been conducting a site analysis for a university project, counting users of a park (path) around Shaganappi golf course.
I counted 274 cyclists between 8am-6pm yesterday and 6-8am today, making up 83% of all users in that 12 hours.
Really surprised at how many people fought through the relatively miserable weather these past two days!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #5931
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so slow on my winter bike, it's painful, but it's a junker and I don't want to clean my road bike every day. The more I can keep my road bike clean, the more sane I will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #5932
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The only solution is a third bike.

I've been debating a different commuter bike. My friend lives in Auburn Bay and commutes with a single speed. That blows my mind but his rationale is that there are less moving parts so it's easier for him to keep it clean and maintain it over the year. It's also cheaper to fix when things go wrong. They can also be lighter.

We're lucky down here in that, while it's a long commute, it's pretty flat. I wouldn't want to be doing 150-200 meters in elevation one way to work on a single speed.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #5933
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a cross bike and put fenders on it. Much faster than the old mtn bike I had for poor weather, but still slow compared to the roadie.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #5934
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

I've been debating a different commuter bike. My friend lives in Auburn Bay and commutes with a single speed. That blows my mind but his rationale is that there are less moving parts so it's easier for him to keep it clean and maintain it over the year. It's also cheaper to fix when things go wrong. They can also be lighter.

We're lucky down here in that, while it's a long commute, it's pretty flat. I wouldn't want to be doing 150-200 meters in elevation one way to work on a single speed.
I commute/run errands on a single speed and any bigger hills suck, but you do get there much quicker haha. Although with a new MTB coming into the picture thinking of turning my hardtail into a pure commuter to have the joy of gearing again.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #5935
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

I get that rationale; however, how many dueraillers do you replace during the lifespan of a bike? Cables are cheap and you are looking at maybe an hour of labour to replace it.

personally, I'd rather have the choice of gears for windy days and it makes the bike more versatile overall.

I have three bikes, and my wife would like not get excited about the addition of another rig - not would I want to make the effort to convert a geared rig to a singlespeed....
Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #5936
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I get that rationale; however, how many dueraillers do you replace during the lifespan of a bike? Cables are cheap and you are looking at maybe an hour of labour to replace it.

personally, I'd rather have the choice of gears for windy days and it makes the bike more versatile overall.

I have three bikes, and my wife would like not get excited about the addition of another rig - not would I want to make the effort to convert a geared rig to a singlespeed....

The maintenance on a single speed is much easier. Especially when you’re having to clean your bike after almost every ride in the winter.

Last edited by KTrain; 10-12-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #5937
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Between yesterday and today I've been conducting a site analysis for a university project, counting users of a park (path) around Shaganappi golf course.
I counted 274 cyclists between 8am-6pm yesterday and 6-8am today, making up 83% of all users in that 12 hours.
Really surprised at how many people fought through the relatively miserable weather these past two days!
I think I went past you yesterday. At least I know I saw someone sitting on a bench with a notebook in weather that was not at all your typical - "I'm going to go outline my novel in the fresh air" weather.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #5938
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

out of curiosity what gear combo would you run in a winter single speed?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #5939
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
out of curiosity what gear combo would you run in a winter single speed?
I haven't even thought about it. Someone else might have experience doing it.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #5940
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well riding the winter bike today was clearly a mistake. Sounds like tomorrow will be the day for it.
Closed Thread