Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #1681
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only winters I'll use are Blizzaks and Hakkapeliittas.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #1682
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Put on winter tires this week.
If looking for new tires (got Blizzaks for both my cars there) or just a place to do your swaps, check out Country Tire on Edm Trail (convenient if you work dt).

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 09-28-2017 at 03:33 PM.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #1683
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I'm a die hard Blizzak buyer myself. They work fantastic.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #1684
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, was looking for Blizzak rebates but they say only purchases made in the US? Can't seem to find anything for Canada.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #1685
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. I've been using Blizzak winter tires for several years. They are indeed fantastic. I bought some Continental Extreme Contact summer tires based on a users advice and they really are quite good for the price. I had wondered about their winter offerings. Think my Blizzaks are basically done, anyone else tried the Continental winter tires?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #1686
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on reviews, the Blizzaks aren't even really any better than their competition. It's just that they're the only tire I've ever used. I know they work, I know how they feel, and the confidence of that predictability is worth quite a bit.

The only reason I'd consider switching to Nokian is they're reportedly way, way better than everything else, and that opinion seems to be the consensus among everyone.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #1687
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Hmm, was looking for Blizzak rebates but they say only purchases made in the US? Can't seem to find anything for Canada.
Costco has $70 off the purchase of 4 until Oct 8.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #1688
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Hakk's are my chosen brand, too. When I got the new car, I made sure to get some new Hakk's and rims to go with her. Kinda looking forward to sporting the winter gear, this year.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #1689
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Interesting. I've been using Blizzak winter tires for several years. They are indeed fantastic. I bought some Continental Extreme Contact summer tires based on a users advice and they really are quite good for the price. I had wondered about their winter offerings. Think my Blizzaks are basically done, anyone else tried the Continental winter tires?
I have the extremewintercontacts which I run on a rwd car. I bought them specifically for their dry pavement performance and have been happy with their snow and ice abilities as well. Are they the best winter tire on snow and ice? Maybe not, but we don't drive on that the majority of the time.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #1690
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

is it not early for winter tires? Wouldn't putting them on now accelerate tread loss?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #1691
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
is it not early for winter tires? Wouldn't putting them on now accelerate tread loss?
Yes. But the sales for them are starting, which got folks talking again. Winter tires shouldn't be put on until the temp is consistently around/under 7.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #1692
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
White Tiger nailed it.

A week or two of the temp being 10-14 is not going to accelerate wear any more than the 8-10 chinook's we see over winter. Now if its 24 for a month and winter tires are on thats a completely different story.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #1693
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I have the extremewintercontacts which I run on a rwd car. I bought them specifically for their dry pavement performance and have been happy with their snow and ice abilities as well. Are they the best winter tire on snow and ice? Maybe not, but we don't drive on that the majority of the time.
I have two cars outfitted with EWCs, and also bought them for the dry performance.

It's nice to drive on a tire that can handle snow, but doesn't have brutal tire wander in moderate temps (unlike Blizzaks).
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #1694
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Annual plug for General Tire Altimax Arctic tires. They are the best compromise between price and quality. Tread wear continues to be fantastic on them, and while not perfect, they feel strong and comfortable in virtually all conditions.

http://www.generaltire.ca/productdet...d=altimaxartic
Old 09-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #1695
Knut

Exp:

Anyone had any experience with All-Weather tires? There are a few brands that have the winter rating in Canada.

I understand they wear a bit quicker during the Summer, but it is nice to not have to swap them twice a year.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #1696
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Anyone had any experience with All-Weather tires? There are a few brands that have the winter rating in Canada.

I understand they wear a bit quicker during the Summer, but it is nice to not have to swap them twice a year.
I've used them on my FWD car for the past 4ish years... they need to be replaced now and I'd say I've gotten about 80-100k on them. I chose the Nokian WGR2 or whatever the letters are.

My original thoughts when I got them were... great, now I don't have to swap tires twice a year. I had only one set of rims so this was always a hassle and expensive.

I also thought, for the type of driving I did (lived on the west side and drove downtown in rush hour and home in rush hour), they'd be just fine for me.

Now, 4 years later I still have those original thoughts, but I also realize the sacrifices. They are not as grippy at ANY time of the year. You are losing summer and winter performance for a true "all" season tire. I really think they're not as good in dry and wet but warm conditions, nor are they quite as good in snow and ice. I now have a way longer (highway and unplowed road) commute, and I don't think I'll be getting all-weathers again.

My honest opinion is that I would not do it again because the benefit wasn't actually worth it.

Of course, if it's a second car that you rarely drive, or something you use for commuting but it's short and the vehicle isn't anything special, then it might still be worthwhile to you.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #1697
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Based on reviews, the Blizzaks aren't even really any better than their competition. It's just that they're the only tire I've ever used. I know they work, I know how they feel, and the confidence of that predictability is worth quite a bit.

The only reason I'd consider switching to Nokian is they're reportedly way, way better than everything else, and that opinion seems to be the consensus among everyone.
Blizzaks are good but somewhat overrated IMO, many comparable or better options now (Continental WinterContact SI, Toyo G3 ICE, Pirelli Ice ZERO come to mind). Blizzaks also have amongst the most progressive wear rating of any winter tire on the market which means replacing them every 2 years in our environment in many cases.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #1698
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Blizzaks are good but somewhat overrated IMO, many comparable or better options now (Continental WinterContact SI, Toyo G3 ICE, Pirelli Ice ZERO come to mind). Blizzaks also have amongst the most progressive wear rating of any winter tire on the market which means replacing them every 2 years in our environment in many cases.
While I'm sure they're great - I've never been able to get past the fact that at the 50% wear mark, most Blizzak's MultiCell compounds have worn away leaving you with an all season tire.

I've gone with XIce2/3 and Hakka R2's as a result.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #1699
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post

I had all weather tires on my old car. Previously, I had only ever used all seasons and when it was time to replace them, I thought about getting winters, but didn't think I would keep the car much longer and didn't want to buy two new sets of tires. I got all weathers and they were great, definitely a step up.

With my new car, I went with actual winters. There are a few situations where I find the winters a bit better, but the improvement isn't huge for the driving I do (mostly around the city with occasional highway drives in good weather). It was two different cars though, so I always feel the comparison isn't quite perfect.

When I need to replace tires, I will definitely look at all weathers again.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #1700
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Put on winter tires this week.
If looking for new tires (got Blizzaks for both my cars there) or just a place to do your swaps, check out Country Tire on Edm Trail (convenient if you work dt).
How much are straight swaps at Country Tire (my winter tires are on their own rims, so just screws off, screws on)?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote