Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #2521
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Bill Smith in attendance.
No puppet, no puppet.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #2522
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall, other than a couple of cringe-worthy moments this was a very good public moment for King and the Flames.

This was more vintage King without him putting his foot in his mouth. Okay, its largely due to Francis lobbing him softballs, but it was Orders of Magnitude better than his last few.

Hopefully this keeps the doors open.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #2523
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No puppet, no puppet.
Bill Smith is.. Ready to Engage!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #2524
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
"like the moron who asked the last question"

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Ken King
Did he actually say that? Geez.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #2525
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was a good presentation. King did as much as he could to stay away from the arena issue and stick with the topic of the discussion. I thought he did well to explain the superficial level of the challenges that face the club, especially in a historical context. He acknowledged the economics of the game continue to shift and make it a difficult game to remain competitive in.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #2526
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not much said about the arena as expected. I'm not a fan of Ken King, but the nitpicking of everything he says by some people here is just petty.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #2527
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"like the moron who asked the last question"

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Ken King
You know he was referring to Eric Francis, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #2528
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like this passive-aggressive relocation stance by the Flames. I'm sure the owners are outlining this stance in Ken's ear. He's their mouthpiece at this point.

A classy approach to the arena issue would be to say that the Flames are always interested in negotiating a deal and will always come to the table when ideas can be shared and discussed, even if it's not what they want right away. That continued dialogue is how deals get done. They should know that, considering they sign contracts with millionaire players every single year.

This 'case closed' stuff is incredibly disrespectful to the fans that have supported their butts for over 30 years. I think Ken, and the owners, need a lesson in humility and not to bite the hand that feeds them, but that is exactly what they're doing with these threats.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #2529
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I'm already committed to season tickets for this season, but I'm done after this unless the Flames have an about face with their childish engagements with the city and lack of respect to the fans.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #2530
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bill Smith is.. Ready to Engage!
Free BRT to the new arena!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #2531
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why won't anybody stick it to King publicly about how terribly he has done his job?

How about those old interviews, anybody challenged him on those yet?

Why didn't anybody protest when he says that the Flames have the public's support?

Come on folks. I'm disappointed at the people in attendance. He'll just keep living in a cloud of delusion if people don't call him out on his crap.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #2532
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Why won't anybody stick it to King publicly about how terribly he has done his job?

Why didn't anybody protest when he says that the Flames have the public's support?

Come on folks. I'm disappointed at the people in attendance. He'll just keep living in a cloud of delusion if people don't call him out on his crap.
There wasn't a live mic, the questions were written down and filtered through Eric Francis.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #2533
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
There are moments in our lives that we consider transformative. They make us realize that there are bigger things than ourselves, bigger things than those things our enterprises do, and bigger things than any government can do, and they are very often a result of very small things we never think, because they have great value to others. This is obviously one of those moments for Mr. King, and why he continues to speak of it. He, a man of position and of power, gave something so small, to someone who was about to die, and it meant so much to that person and that person's family. This obviously mean something to him. It definitely meant something to that person's family. Shame on all of you for belittling this moment in Mr. King's life, and more importantly, that woman's life. Dislike his position, dislike his politics, dislike the man himself, but respect the beautiful thing he did for a dying woman and the memory it created for her family. They will never forget that, and it sounds like Ken King won't either.
"Here's a little story about how I took a small gesture and tried to turn it into my moral meal ticket for years to come."

King is definitely the kind of guy who would go around telling anybody who would listen about an anonymous donation he made to a charity.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #2534
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
There wasn't a live mic, the questions were written down and filtered through Eric Francis.
Exactly this. Francis was literally filmed throwing away questions that were not aligned to the theme of the interview. He chose which questions were asked. Literally hand-picked them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #2535
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Question: In terms of revenue how big a percentage of CS&E are the Stampeders?

Just thinking about the Flames Arena offer vs. CalgaryNext. Their arena offer was 61.1% of their CalgaryNext offer... do the Stampeders consist of 38.9% of the corporations' revenue? They'd get an arena in either deal which would house the Flames, Hitmen, and Roughnecks so the only part of CS&E that's out are the Stamps.

I'm not sure how they can justify the low amount of their arena offer if they don't.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #2536
Ice_Weasel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

This may surprise you, but the majority of people I talk to are actually pro-Flames through all of this. Not that King is doing a great job or anything, but he's just the messenger, not the message. Those that are ok with the message can ignore the messenger...those that don't like the message want to hang messenger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ice_Weasel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #2537
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Quiet please.
This is no place to post anything that does not support the narrative that the Flames are, as is, one of the top markets in the NHL.
For what it is worth, this is the first time I've heard Ken King allude that the Flames are now a revenue receiver from the league. I'll be honest, I don't actually know what this means so if someone knows more about how this works, I am very curious.

The problem I have with statements like that, is the Flames refuse to open up their books to public scrutiny. I have no idea how to interpret a statement like that.

Using the Forbes valuations, the Flames were 10th in the league in operating income at $18 million last year (based on revenue of $121 million).

The Flames are middle market team. I think is misleading to suggest we are top market. But it also misleading to suggest we are small market. There are almost 1.4 million people in the Calgary metro area. Rich, relatively young and mostly hockey fans.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #2538
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
For what it is worth, this is the first time I've heard Ken King allude that the Flames are now a revenue receiver from the league. I'll be honest, I don't actually know what this means so if someone knows more about how this works, I am very curious.

The problem I have with statements like that, is the Flames refuse to open up their books to public scrutiny. I have no idea how to interpret a statement like that.

Using the Forbes valuations, the Flames were 10th in the league in operating income at $18 million last year (based on revenue of $121 million).

The Flames are middle market team. I think is misleading to suggest we are top market. But it also misleading to suggest we are small market. There are almost 1.4 million people in the Calgary metro area. Rich, relatively young and mostly hockey fans.
I can't pull up direct quotes or news stories off the top of my head but ownership has long claimed that revenue sharing is the only reason the team is still in Calgary
The Following User Says Thank You to CorbeauNoir For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #2539
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Same... plus I would trust the word of Ken King about as far as I could throw him (and King looks to be a big dude so that ain't far).
Old 09-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #2540
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Same... plus I would trust the word of Ken King about as far as I could throw him (and King looks to be a big dude so that ain't far).
There's a lot that can be said and refuted for sure.

But I would think claiming to be a revenue sharing recipient for the first time in x # of years would be a dangerous fib.

It can be refuted from far too many out of market angles if he made that up.
Closed Thread