Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #1081
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dino7c isn't wrong. It's pretty common early in a console life cycle that games have huge attach rates because people are buying every game due to limited choice and since they are justifying the console purchase. Hell I just bought a 25 year old arcade soccer game because I was craving a sports game for the switch - no chance that I'm buying Super Sidekicks on my PS4 or Xbone.

Vita was very much the same at the start for sure. I recall people actually using the attach rate to defend that the system wasn't a failure.

IMO Switch is already more successful than that system just because it's actually still pushing console units but attach rates for game can be deceiving early in a console life cycle since limited games are coming out and there isn't a back catalog for people to buy.

Still doesn't mean that SFV wasn't a bit of a bust though - for an established franchise on a system with 15x the install base that the Switch had it should have been able to outsell Arms even with the "New Console" factor.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-27-2017 at 02:48 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #1082
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As if this post, Sage Hill Walmart has one switch on the shelf.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #1083
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have never expected this game to look this good.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #1084
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, the game itself looks great. The very existence of those rabbits offends me though. I'll most likely pick it up anyway.

Also, Capcom now plans to port Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 to the Switch. Trying to repeat their easy money success with Ultra Street Fighter II.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #1085
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mario + Rabbids sitting at 85 on Metacritic. Amazing to see how far its come after everyone loathed its very existence when it was first leaked.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #1086
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Mario + Rabbids sitting at 85 on Metacritic. Amazing to see how far its come after everyone loathed its very existence when it was first leaked.
Yep -- it would've been very easy for this to be stupid/bad, but it seems they took it seriously and made a really good game. Looking forward to checking it out tomorrow!

Switch has had a pretty solid first year of exclusives:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (92)
Mario + Rabbids (84)
Splatoon 2 (83)
ARMs (77)

Mario Odyssey is basically a lock for 90+ and Xenoblade (if it makes it this year) I don't see being any less than mid-80's. Plus lots of great digital games -- Switch has kept me busy!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #1087
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Got my Mario + Rabbids copy early. It's pretty fun so far. I love XCOM so the concept is familiar, but this isn't as intense.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #1088
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving Mario + Rabbids so far.

Think my two favourite games of 2017 so far are on Switch (M+R and Zelda) and Mario Odyssey hasn't even come out yet. Splatoon 2 is probably in the top 5 too.

Just crazy how good the first six months have been for the Switch from an exclusive software perspective.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #1089
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very interested in 'Golf Story', an upcoming game for Switch. Here's the site:

http://golfstorygame.com/

Quote:
Coming Soon to Nintendo Switch™

Tee up anywhere - on and off the course.

The Game

Sidebar Games is excited to announce Golf Story for Nintendo Switch™. Play the story of a golfer, forced to give up all that he holds dear for one final shot at accomplishing his dream.

But all is not so simple in the world of golf. To best today's players you have to be able to keep up with them not just on the course, but also off it.

Here are some of the things you can do in the game:

-Tee up anywhere! You’ll be surprised by how many problems can be solved by hitting a golf ball at them.

-Explore 8 unique environments, each with their own courses, towns, people and secrets.

-Play through a dramatic story with a diverse cast of characters.

-Upgrade your golfer by completing challenges, solving puzzles and buying new equipment.

-Round out your skill set with long driver tournaments, disc golf, mini golf and wee links. Then go beyond golf with extra challenges like races, mowing, drone flights and geocaching.
and here's the trailer:

It's a Switch indie exclusive (not even on Steam or anything) and looks really cool, and is just a fun idea. It was announced as coming in September on Nintendo's indie game stream yesterday.

Steamworld Dig 2 also looks great and is coming to Switch first on Sept. 21st

Just some stuff to keep you busy in between Mario and Mario.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 08-31-2017 at 09:09 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #1090
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Jesus. I just went to pre-order a physical copy of Lost Sphear from the Square-Enix store, and found the only shipping option available is "priority" - at a cost of us$33.99. When I sent an inquiry wondering about the lack of options, I got a reply that was little more than "you picked the wrong courier". My reply pretty much tore a strip off of him for blaming the customer for failing to properly make a choice that was never available, so we'll see where that leads.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #1091
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Alright, I've caved, you relentless ####ing jackals. You won me over with your constant harassment posting in this thread.

What games am I buying?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #1092
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus. I just went to pre-order a physical copy of Lost Sphear from the Square-Enix store, and found the only shipping option available is "priority" - at a cost of us$33.99. When I sent an inquiry wondering about the lack of options, I got a reply that was little more than "you picked the wrong courier". My reply pretty much tore a strip off of him for blaming the customer for failing to properly make a choice that was never available, so we'll see where that leads.

The SE store is like that. Heaven help you if you want to get some of the fancy collectors editions. You will likely also pay duty in the package.

They don't even bring copies of games to conventions if you happen to desire that route. They'll probably have demos at PAX though and the usual freebies.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #1093
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Alright, I've caved, you relentless ####ing jackals. You won me over with your constant harassment posting in this thread.

What games am I buying?
If you didn't play them on Wii U, Zelda and Mario Kart are no brainers. Heck I played Mario Kart on Wii U and still played a ton of Deluxe on Switch.

Splatoon 2 is good, but if you tired yourself out on the first one it really doesn't do anything different.

I'm only a couple hours in but I'd recommend Mario + Rabbids so far. Fun, quirky strategy game with a lot of heart and actually decent amount of depth and challenge too. Probably the best 'true' exclusive so far.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #1094
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The SE store is like that. Heaven help you if you want to get some of the fancy collectors editions. You will likely also pay duty in the package.

They don't even bring copies of games to conventions if you happen to desire that route. They'll probably have demos at PAX though and the usual freebies.
Oh, yeah, I know all about the SE store. And I was prepared to suck up the still-awful $12 shipping that is usually an option for a single item. But no way am I going to nearly double my cost because their courier is price gouging.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #1095
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Count me in for golf story! Looks like a unique game. Kentucky Route Zero looks interesting too. Has anyone tried this on steam?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #1096
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anybody still looking for a switch the Wal Mart in Marlborough appears to have 10 Switches in stock this am. 5 neon and 5 black
Old 09-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #1097
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It appears the stock crunch in North America is finally easing back. Most places in NA seem to be able to keep stock for a couple days now instead of a couple minutes. Now's probably the time to buy if you're wanting Mario Odyssey though.

Still holding lotteries for them in Japan.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #1098
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It appears the stock crunch in North America is finally easing back. Most places in NA seem to be able to keep stock for a couple days now instead of a couple minutes. Now's probably the time to buy if you're wanting Mario Odyssey though.

Still holding lotteries for them in Japan.
Yeah would be a good time to get in IMO. Stock will probably start to get limited again around Black Friday and the Mario Odyssey launch.

From a games perspective you have Zelda, Arms, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, & Mario + Rabbids in the first party backlog (plus the sneaky good Sonic Mania on a portable).

You have NBA2K18, Fifa 18, & Golf Story all coming in September for sports fans.

Those should be enough to tide anyone over until Mario launches. Plus you still have Pokken Tournament, & Xenoblade 2 as other first party titles before the end of the year, and Skyrim Switch actually looked pretty good on the go too.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #1099
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

So I'm getting X-CoMario, Sonic Mania, Zelda and Mario Kart 8... again.

That about right?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #1100
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
So I'm getting X-CoMario, Sonic Mania, Zelda and Mario Kart 8... again.

That about right?
You seem to be missing Puyo Puyo Tetris!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote