Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #181
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Oiler fans are the most embarassing fans in all of sports.
What about Roughriders fans?
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #182
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
What about Roughriders fans?
Yep, and that's saying something.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #183
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I don't think it's leverage. I think it's GMs who fail to understand their bargaining position. Would another team give up four first-round picks to make this signing? If not, then the Oilers overpaid.
In this case, I think that's precisely what happened. There was zero reason to acquiesce to the dry saddle camp short of a threat of losing him to someone else.

Offer sheets are rarely used for a reason, but they are still part of the rules. Im guessing that Liut told Chiarelli and crew that they were sitting on one. Then as September neared, his client was threatening to sign it in order to be established where ever it was he was getting the offer from.

Pure speculation on my part but explains the ridiculous AAV, why a bridge deal wasn't used, and why this happened now without a pressure point to kickstart it. They took 4 months to get THIS deal? Doubtful. Looks like this deal was forced on them and they had to decide yay or nay.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #184
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Yep, and that's saying something.
not even close, the canucks fans are the worst. Seahawk fans a close second
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #185
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol. Was wondering when an Oilers troll would show up with a pile of attempted deflections.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #186
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Spector Article: Fair Price to Pay

Quote:
If he can manage 77 points as a 21-year-old as he did last season — then dominate the Anaheim Ducks as a second-line centre in the playoffs — then the next eight years of the big German looks like a fair bargain for the Edmonton Oilers.
He had a 27.3% shooting percentage and a 109 PDO in the playoffs.

He's a very good player, but if they're paying on those playoffs it's a bit of a concern.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #187
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
not even close, the canucks fans are the worst. Seahawk fans a close second
I live in Saskatoon, am a Riders fan, a Seahawks fan and above all else a Flames fan.

I'm like a unicorn around here I guess.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #188
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if this is what Monahan's 8th year would've cost
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #189
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, this is certainly going to put the Rogers Place women's bathroom expansion upgrade project on hold.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #190
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

If Oilers management doesn't soon recognize when a player's offense is self-generated, or when it's compliments of playing alongside Connor McDavid (see Patrick Maroon, 30 goal scorer), their window is going to slam shut before it ever fully opens.

You can't sign Leon Draisaitl for $8.5M, when the offense he scored to earn that AAV was while riding shotgun on Connor McDavid's wing (7 games without McDavid against ANA is much too small of a sample).

If the Oilers are going to evaluate player offense in a vacuum, and pay based on that, then Maroon is in line for $5M+ next summer.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #191
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not forget that he got 9 of his 16 points in 2 games (56% of his points). So in the other 11 games he was only good for 7 points.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #192
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Find me one credible source that thinks Calgary's goalie problem is due to their D. All the metrics show they have a great defense group. I'm sorry but Gio/Brodie/Hamilton/etc. didn't cause Hiller and Elliott to forgot how to be a competent goaltender.
whatever....prove it on the ice and quit coming up with excuses. I expect a top 10 finish in GA at minimum or the d-corps will continue to be overrated (great offensively, poor defensively)

this reminds me when the Flames added Bouwmeester to Regher and Phaneuf and the Flames never got over the hump

Quote:
Man, those are your examples? I think you just proved my point. Valimaki, Fox and probably Andersson are all better D prospects than Bear and Jones.
Bear won the WHL defenseman of the year, Jones played the most minutes for the US at the WJHC, Yamamoto had the most goals as an 18 year old in the 'dub
not exactly bums

Quote:
Sometimes he misses ... a lot. Seguin for Loui Eriksson. Boychuk to the Islanders. Versteeg to Chicago. Running Boston into major cap problems where they had to trade Hamilton for picks. Lucic at 6 million until he's 35. Eberle for Strome and cap savings. Using those cap savings on Kris Russell. That's a laundry list of bad moves.
he basically re-vamped the entire Bruins d-corps (brought in Boychuk, McQuaid, Seidenberg, Ference) and Horton on his way to a Stanley Cup

and was just up for Executive of the Year...I'll take my chances with him on the helm

Quote:
Draisaitl is still a huge question mark if he can produce without McDavid. Klefbom has potential but he's only a top pairing guy on the Oilers. He'd be a #3/4 guy on the Flames right now. The Oilers have a 24 man roster right now at 66.7 million. Next year they have 13 players under contract for 60.8 million. You need to fill 11 spots with 15 million. Maroon will need a raise from 1.5. Caggulia, Strome, Nurse and Benning all need to be qualified. Who from their prospect pool is ready to play meaningful minutes on an ELC next year? The Oilers window is pretty much this year.
you're assuming the salary cap doesn't go up and it stay the same...which it hasn't done since 2010...the only time
and with the Canadian dollar in a slight incline, we can't say for sure where it'll land
Nuge will probably be traded like Eberle to save money and as for filling in the rest? probably depth signings like Jokinen for cheap
because the core is there, just need to fill in around it
AlbertaOiler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #193
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
whatever....prove it on the ice and quit coming up with excuses. I expect a top 10 finish in GA at minimum or the d-corps will continue to be overrated (great offensively, poor defensively)
Dude showing you metrics of shot and scoring chance attempts against in several categories in the top ten is proving it.

Bringing up Bouwmeester and dropping cliches like prove it on the ice is the excuse and goal post moving at the moment.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #194
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bear won the WHL defenseman of the year, Jones played the most minutes for the US at the WJHC, Yamamoto had the most goals as an 18 year old in the 'dub
not exactly bums
Just like all the others with high credentials that came before, the Oilers will turn them into bums.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #195
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
not exactly bums
weren't Eberle/RNH all lauded the same way but monumental levels highers, garnering the oiler standard 6x6 2nd contract?!? Heck, how excited you must have been at the prospect of Yakupov, Nail Yakupov, to join this young core!

So to you i simply say:
"whatever....prove it on the ice and quit coming up with excuses."

Last edited by bubbsy; 08-17-2017 at 10:12 AM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #196
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
you're assuming the salary cap doesn't go up and it stay the same...which it hasn't done since 2010...the only time
and with the Canadian dollar in a slight incline, we can't say for sure where it'll land
Nuge will probably be traded like Eberle to save money and as for filling in the rest? probably depth signings like Jokinen for cheap
because the core is there, just need to fill in around it
Yes but see, you're assuming it WILL be going up. There are no guarantees that it will go up as significantly as you and many are hoping it will. Face it. If it doesn't go up significantly the Oilers are going to find the selves in a very tight cap situation. Signing players to deals while banking on the cap to rise is dangerous
Old 08-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #197
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I kinda screwed up my cap calculations a few pages back, I said the Oilers going into the season after this would be at 62 million for 12 players, and I made the assumption of the cap rising 2 million bucks to 77 which would leave them about 15 million for between 8 and 11 players to fill a 23 man roster.

I forgot about Poulliot and Laggenson who combined will be a 2 million dollar cap hit for the next several year, so the Oilers are at 64 million for 12 players and need to fill a minimum of 8 and more likely 11 roster spots , which would leave them with about 13 million bucks to fill those spaces.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #198
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In this case, I think that's precisely what happened. There was zero reason to acquiesce to the dry saddle camp short of a threat of losing him to someone else.
This sounds about right imo. Why else would you make this deal in mid-August?
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #199
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I wonder if this is what Monahan's 8th year would've cost
I think it would have moved Monahan's $6.375 contract to around $6.8. If Gaudreau signed an 8 year deal it would have been for around $7.5 imo.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #200
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
Yes but see, you're assuming it WILL be going up. There are no guarantees that it will go up as significantly as you and many are hoping it will. Face it. If it doesn't go up significantly the Oilers are going to find the selves in a very tight cap situation. Signing players to deals while banking on the cap to rise is dangerous
I hope the Flames brain trust is treating the future very carefully when it comes to the cap.

Recent news has the N.A. crude inventory glut taking longer to work off than expected, that comes with a forward price suggestion under $60 (currently $47) for the next two to three years. As an export country this is big in the FX value, crude was closer to $90 when the Canadian dollar was at par.

ESPN and other media agencies are laying people off left and right these days. Sportsnet hasn't been all that juiced with their early returns on the NHL contract.

Renewals for broadcast rates in North America seem to be going down, not up as the world moves away from cable tv and towards streaming.

Revenue will pop up from other sources, but I don't think ticket prices are going to be able sustain what looks to be a bubble.

Will see ...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: