Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #1021
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Ugh...the fact the guy is still in the business is ridiculous. George Johnson lost his job and Eric Francis is still doing 5mins of research and spouting off in a dream position. I know life's not fair, but eventually he has to be found out.
From what I understand, Francis is freelancing. Johnson cost his employer salary + benefits + office expenses. Francis gets paid by the column inch and that's all. I imagine he gets peanuts compared to an actual staffer.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #1022
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
No history, I don't think. Eric Francis is a contrarian journalist, he's looking to rile the fan base up for clicks. This can be very bad in a small sports city like Calgary because he has and will continue to turn small/non issues into major sports stories that cause lots of anger and unrest in both the fans and team itself.

He's very successful at it.

I agree with this. From day one Francis's style of "reporting" is always so negative. Always take the negative approach and then if things go well brush it off. It is a very lazy style of journalism.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #1023
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
The Flames are trying to bring back Iggy for this season. Between Calgary and Boston. Up to Jarome now. Johnny is on board and reaching out. Legit see how it unfolds.
Was there any update regarding this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #1024
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Was there any update regarding this?
It wouldn't surprise me if Treliving talked to Iginla's agent to see if Iginla had any interest in Calgary, because Treliving talks to everyone, but I'm very doubtful that he's actually made a contract offer to Iginla.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #1025
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames have both Iggy and Jagr on their shortlist.

Bennett has to be signed first and perhaps Treliving wants to see what happens with Duchene before committing to a player?

Jagr appears willing to play anywhere in the league as long as the money and opportunity are right. Calgary can likely offer both once Bennett is done
Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #1026
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the Flames have both Iggy and Jagr on their shortlist.

Bennett has to be signed first and perhaps Treliving wants to see what happens with Duchene before committing to a player?

Jagr appears willing to play anywhere in the league as long as the money and opportunity are right. Calgary can likely offer both once Bennett is done
Where would we get the assets and salary space to acquire a Duchene? That is not happening
Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #1027
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Where would we get the assets and salary space to acquire a Duchene? That is not happening
If this season goes down the drain as well for the Avs, I fully expect him to demand a trade either at the TDL or in the offseason. Sakic is turning this Duchene situation into a complete farce - just like the rest of his team.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #1028
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
If this season goes down the drain as well for the Avs, I fully expect him to demand a trade either at the TDL or in the offseason. Sakic is turning this Duchene situation into a complete farce - just like the rest of his team.
Well I can agree with Duchene wanting out of there that still does not explain where we have the disposable assets to acquire him and then the cap space to extend him.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #1029
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Personally I think the Flames have the prospects to make the trade if they wanted to. Risky indeed considering the lack of picks we have moving forward gutting the prospect pool is a bad idea. Duchene for the next 2 years really pushes Calgary to the elite in the league.

Just speculation since Friedman dropped the Flames as a team that may circle back on Duchene later in the summer. The Flames are all-in and have cap space. Long shot indeed but we do have Treliving as our GM so we know he is chatting with Sakic. We also know the Avs organization has a strange affinity for ex-Flames
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #1030
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Personally I think the Flames have the prospects to make the trade if they wanted to. Risky indeed considering the lack of picks we have moving forward gutting the prospect pool is a bad idea. Duchene for the next 2 years really pushes Calgary to the elite in the league.

Just speculation since Friedman dropped the Flames as a team that may circle back on Duchene later in the summer. The Flames are all-in and have cap space. Long shot indeed but we do have Treliving as our GM so we know he is chatting with Sakic. We also know the Avs organization has a strange affinity for ex-Flames
They almost certainly won't have the necessary cap space to play with anymore when they re-sign Bennett as they have to.

Just say no to Duchene, or even Iggy, or Jagr. This team does not need them at all.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #1031
Rickbo
Draft Pick

Yes, yes, yes, don't need any old guys or any one that plays only when they feel like it.
Let one or two of our prospects earn a spot. New NHL.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #1032
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
They almost certainly won't have the necessary cap space to play with anymore when they re-sign Bennett as they have to.

Just say no to Duchene, or even Iggy, or Jagr. This team does not need them at all.
They would have to send some salary back in addition to prospects. It is not going to happen anyway.

I am not convinced this team has an adequate top 6. I think Ferland has potential but he is no lock to be a top line forward. Bennett may break out or he may not.

Duchene while unrealistic would add a legit first liner to our team and vastly improve our top 6.

Again I don't see Duchene as a really option but not totally out of the realm of possibility.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #1033
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have it from a very good source (MODs can DM me) that the flames approached iginla and were turned down.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #1034
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
I have it from a very good source (MODs can DM me) that the flames approached iginla and were turned down.
Common we are going to need more info then that to even consider what your saying is fact.
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Old 08-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #1035
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Only some will get the reference.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #1036
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I don't believe it. I can't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #1037
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Only some will get the reference.
What madness lies in Fangorn Forest?
Old 08-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #1038
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
What madness lies in Fangorn Forest?
The part at the Black Gate where he exclaims "I DO NOT BELIEVE IT! I WILL NOT"
Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #1039
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Oh sorry, I was thinking about the two wussy hobbits who ran away from the ogres and Aragorn thought they were whacked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #1040
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Excellent, now possibly the CP community can move on. Once this is confirmed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread