Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #441
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They're hockey players, not union ladies fighting for an extra 50 cents an hour
Yeah you're right, they're hockey players, why would they try and fight for things they want. I mean they've already got it so good, who are they trying to be? Owners or something?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #442
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
It's not as if it was some big secret that the players wanted to go badly. The IOC knew the league would make the final call, if they were trying to use the players desire to go as leverage they should have probably done their homework regarding the league's history on giving in to PA.
The NHL offered to go if the NHLPA agreed not to open up the CBA early. The NHLPA said no. The NHLPA could have negotiated a deal to go, either now, or when they did the last CBA. They chose not to. So with neither the NHLPA or the IOC giving them anything to go, the NHL chose not to go and I don't blame them.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #443
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
The NHL offered to go if the NHLPA agreed not to open up the CBA early. The NHLPA said no. The NHLPA could have negotiated a deal to go, either now, or when they did the last CBA. They chose not to. So with neither the NHLPA or the IOC giving them anything to go, the NHL chose not to go and I don't blame them.
The NHLPA want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to go to the Olympics but they dont want to offer anything in exchange.

The Olympic(IOC)/NHL deal was terrible and the IOC endeavoured to make it worse and when the NHL tried to improve their lot all the PA did was make things worse and then, after the NHL told the IOC to pound sand all the PA did was stamp their feet and whine. The only thing they didnt do was pound their fists at the same time to round out the tantrum.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #444
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding of it was that the league was only interested in extending the existing CBA and offered Olympic participation in return. Unless there's more to it than that, that is not a negotiation. Even though I don't agree with it, I'm not blaming the league for their decision, but blaming the PA for the league's failed negotiation with the IOC is ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #445
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding of it was that the league was only interested in extending the existing CBA and offered Olympic participation in return. Unless there's more to it than that, that is not a negotiation. Even though I don't agree with it, I'm not blaming the league for their decision, but blaming the PA for the league's failed negotiation with the IOC is ridiculous.
Current CBA expires in 2022, with options to both parties to opt out early in 2019.

The synopsis Locke gave is actually, rather accurate.

But do, give us more real world anecdotes with your proficient business acumen.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #446
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah you're right, they're hockey players, why would they try and fight for things they want. I mean they've already got it so good, who are they trying to be? Owners or something?
So why didn't they fight, then? They didn't side with the NHL to fight for a better deal - something that could have worked to their own interests as greater visibility for the NHL could mean more revenue, which they get 50% of. And they didn't even attempt to negotiate when the NHL gave up on the IOC and turned to them to ask them what they were willing to do in a separate deal.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #447
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see I'm in the minority but I respect Ovechkin for wanting to go and represent his country. I get it. I understand it. I wish more players did so as well.

Most of all I hope he gets the NHLPA to reconsider their vote.

And mark me down as saying there is a 99.9% chance Ovechkin is at the Olympics. NHL is secondary for him (at least as I read the situation)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #448
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
And mark me down as saying there is a 99.9% chance Ovechkin is at the Olympics. NHL is secondary for him (at least as I read the situation)
Not only that but it's likely the best chance he'll ever get at gold.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #449
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see I'm in the minority but I respect Ovechkin for wanting to go and represent his country. I get it. I understand it. I wish more players did so as well.

Most of all I hope he gets the NHLPA to reconsider their vote.

Hardly fair to the common PA member, whom isn't capable of making his national team, and is affected more detrimentally due to significantly; lower income & shorter career life.

Ovechkin could retire today, and live a luxurious life.
Is Fehr catering to his top 5% of membership?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #450
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, mark me down as 99.9% certain that he won't be because he will not be eligible. Unless he is going to walk away from the rest of his contract ala Kovalchuk.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #451
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ok, mark me down as 99.9% certain that he won't be because he will not be eligible. Unless he is going to walk away from the rest of his contract ala Kovalchuk.
I smell a pubes bet between you guys!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #452
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You might be right.

At some point though, Ted Leonosis and Ovechkin have a chat.

Ovechkin, as the biggest Russian hockey star on the planet, will have big pressure to join Kovalchuk and Markov at the Olympics. Leonosis knows that if Ovechkin says he's walking away from the Capitals that the KHL will do whatever is necessary to let Ovechkin play there.

I think Leonosis grants permission for Ovechkin to go.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 08-08-2017 at 08:25 PM.
killer_carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #453
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You might be right.

At some point though, Ted Leonosis and Ovechkin have a chat.

Ovechkin, as the biggest Russian hockey star on the planet, will have big pressure to join Kovalchuk and Markov at the Olympics. Leonosis knows that if Ovechkin says he's walking away from the Capitals that the KHL will do whatever is necessary to let Ovechkin play there.

I think Leonosis grants permission for Ovechkin to go.
Gary will make sure that doesn't happen. His job is to protect owners from themselves. There will be some league wide rule that make sure no NHL player goes.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #454
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gary will make sure that doesn't happen. His job is to protect owners from themselves. There will be some league wide rule that make sure no NHL player goes.
This. Leonosis will have no say in the matter.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #455
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Current CBA expires in 2022, with options to both parties to opt out early in 2019.

The synopsis Locke gave is actually, rather accurate.

But do, give us more real world anecdotes with your proficient business acumen.
Here you go:
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sports...ension/sn-amp/

The offer was clearly to extend the CBA past the 2022 expiry. Good enough? Or do you consider this anecdotal journalism?
Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #456
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Hardly fair to the common PA member, whom isn't capable of making his national team, and is affected more detrimentally due to significantly; lower income & shorter career life.

Ovechkin could retire today, and live a luxurious life.
Is Fehr catering to his top 5% of membership?
It actually makes no difference to the other NHLPA members, they still get paid do they not? Yes there is the goal of winning a championship, and while that does count for something, you're making the assumption that the players prioritize that over their own financial wellbeing. If every player made winning a championship their primary goal, all of the league's best free agents would take bargain basement deals to play for the Blackhawks, penguins or whichever team had the best chance. For every player who does that each offseason there are 10 examples of players who chased the money for a team worse than the one they left.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #457
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is where the team penalties mentioned before come in. I expect a team won't be penalized if they make it clear that a player defecting to go to the Olympics is a breach of contract that won't be condoned. But if the team is complicit in it (i.e. waives any breach of contract), the league can and should punish the team. Because if one team does it, and gets away with it, the pressure is on other teams. And I don't care to lose, let's say, Johnny to the US team, for a two week span mid-season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #458
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

it's simply breach of contract. Like soccer players and baseball players can't go.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #459
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

World Cup for professionals, Olympics for U23s. For Olympic years, you skip the WJCs at Christmastime.

Pretty simple really.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #460
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My point is the NHLPA had multiple opportunities to be part of the Olympic participation negotiation. They chose not to and therefore I don't think they have the right to complain now. If it was really that important to them, either going or having three weeks off, then they should have negotiated it in their last CBA.

I'm disappointed that NHL players aren't going and I would assign blame in the following order:

IOC - They are a dirty, arrogant, corrupt organization and think everyone should bend over backward for them because well, it's the Olympics.
NHLPA - wanted to go, but didn't want to give up anything to do it
NHL - I think their requests to recognized as a sponsor and be able to use the Olympics in promotion was reasonable.
IIHF - These are the guys that really tried. They even offered to pay the insurance and travel costs, which I don't think they should as the IOC makes all the money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: