Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #981
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
The same site that said we shouldn't sign Jankowski
To be fair, said site uses many writers.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #982
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
The same site that said we shouldn't sign Jankowski
That author actually writes for Flamesnation now.

You have to take these blogs for what they are... some good writers who did some quality research, and some clowns who just thought they did.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #983
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
That author actually writes for Flamesnation now.

You have to take these blogs for what they are... some good writers who did some quality research, and some clowns who just thought they did.
Still not sure where he is wrong though. It is an opinion piece, there really isn't much research required.

Iginla is clearly on the back 9 of his career. He is clearly no longer a 1st line player. Nostalgia is probably a pretty bad reason to sign him. If he is interested in winning the cup, the Flames probably aren't the best choice, in particular if he signs a one year deal. The only thing that doesn't really make sense is "taking a spot" from a young guy. He either is good enough, or he is not.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #984
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy gave it his all to this franchise during the Dark Times. Probably the single biggest reason the club retained hockey fans while fans were leaving in droves. I remember the dome being half empty in the late 90s. I stayed because of Iggy. (And Andrew Cassells for some strange reason, but I digress).

Maybe, just MAYBE, the franchise makes just ONE emotional move and gives this beauty of a man a chance to play for the club during the Promising Times. A little "thanks for the memories Iggy" memorial tour. Could be construed as a "thanks for saving our franchise too" memorial tour.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #985
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Iggy gave it his all to this franchise during the Dark Times. Probably the single biggest reason the club retained hockey fans while fans were leaving in droves. I remember the dome being half empty in the late 90s. I stayed because of Iggy. (And Andrew Cassells for some strange reason, but I digress).

Maybe, just MAYBE, the franchise makes just ONE emotional move and gives this beauty of a man a chance to play for the club during the Promising Times. A little "thanks for the memories Iggy" memorial tour. Could be construed as a "thanks for saving our franchise too" memorial tour.
re Cassels: because of those silly fake moves he did waving his stuck over the puck! those were funny
Old 08-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #986
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Article is well written, however advanced stats sometimes show a picture of how bad a team was. LA and especially Colorado were brutal. So I feel he will be better if he signed in Calgary.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #987
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what happened to Iggy being close to signing?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #988
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So what happened to Iggy being close to signing?
The latest rumor left me with the impression that it was between Boston and Calgary for him, implying that both teams have already quietly extended offers and he is taking some time to mull over the decision.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #989
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
The latest rumor left me with the impression that it was between Boston and Calgary for him, implying that both teams have already quietly extended offers and he is taking some time to mull over the decision.
Both teams also have key RFA's to sign with Bennett and Pastrnak. I think those guys get signed first before any UFA be it Iginla, or Jagr etc is extended an offer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 06:27 AM   #990
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sigh, the longer Bennett and Kulak take to sign, the less likely this happens
Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #991
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Iginla Destination Discussion

Sam Bennett and his career high 36 points have nothing to do with signing a depth player like Iginla. Cripes, Kris Versteeg was a more high profile signing and that didn't affect a thing. If Iggy really wanted to sign here it would be done by now.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #992
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Sam Bennett and his career high 36 points have nothing to do with signing a depth player like Iginla. Cripes, Kris Versteeg was a more high profile signing and that didn't affect a thing. If Iggy really wanted to sign here it would be done by now.
If you have read the thread it would explain all that. Bennett at this point we dont know what he will make per year or what cap space is even left. Yes Iginla would be a depth player.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #993
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
If you have read the thread it would explain all that. Bennett at this point we dont know what he will make per year or what cap space is even left. Yes Iginla would be a depth player.

I have followed this thread from beginning to end, since day one. I got hyped when the first rumour came out that this was on the radar and was super close to happening. It's been over a month since then and I've lost my faith, and I have sincere doubts that Bennett and the $2-3 million he will command is in any way a sticking point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #994
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I have followed this thread from beginning to end, since day one. I got hyped when the first rumour came out that this was on the radar and was super close to happening. It's been over a month since then and I've lost my faith, and I have sincere doubts that Bennett and the $2-3 million he will command is in any way a sticking point.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I wanted it bad, but it's likely to good to be true.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #995
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This thread has been quite the emotional rollercoaster. I just want to see it culminate in him signing.. and then him winning a cup after Gio passes it to him. Is that too much to ask?
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #996
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
This thread has been quite the emotional rollercoaster. I just want to see it culminate in him signing.. and then him winning a cup after Gio passes it to him. Is that too much to ask?
Unfortunately, yes. All of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #997
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Francis just posted an audio link on his twitter acct on why he thinks Jarome wont and should not be back.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #998
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Francis just posted an audio link on his twitter acct on why he thinks Jarome wont and should not be back.
Oh Francis said Jarome won't be back? We can expect Jarome to sign by the end of the summer then
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #999
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Oh Francis said Jarome won't be back? We can expect Jarome to sign by the end of the summer then
haha yep, book it !
Old 08-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #1000
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Eric Francis is actually the one factor that might make bringing Jarome back a bad idea. I mean that sincerely.

Jarome coming back wouldn't be a distraction current state, unless someone in the media went out of their way to make it a distraction and I guaran-****ing-tee you Eric Francis would make it his life's mission to rile up the casual Flames fans in this city if we signed him, and unfortunately he'd likely be successful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread