Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #421
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone used Razer cortex?

I'm wondering if it might boost my gaming PC until I can save enough money to replace it.

I'm only playing WOW and can barely zone in. Framerate collapses in LFR to 2 fps.
My wife was running WoW on a 7 year old laptop (usually 10 FPS in raids) and the biggest framerate killers were draw distance and spell effects. You should try playing with the graphical options some more to see what you can squeeze out it. You'd be surprised what gets turned on automatically by a patch, for example.

There's also a separate Raid/Battleground graphics setting menu to further optimize for those particular uses.

Don't use addons that add nice graphical changes to unit frames and the like. Some of them are pretty inefficient. Keep your damage meters down to one window (some people like having multiple windows of info running on their screen), and keep your tracking addons to a minimum.

Last edited by Mazrim; 07-28-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #422
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to give cortex a whirl tonight and see if it helps

I've made use of the Raid graphics settings. It's pretty helpful

Then I'm going to take a couple screenshots of Twitch and then delete all of my addons.

The only must haves for me are Bartender, xperl and Titan Panel.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #423
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
The only must haves for me are Bartender, xperl and Titan Panel.
Bartender should be fine, but I would switch xperl to zperl and turn off unit frame portraits if you really can't stand the default unit frames. Titan Panel really is superfluous at this point with all the options the game gives you to track currency/reputation and bag space.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #424
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is ok to say that I'm really not looking forward to playing around with add-ons?
Old 07-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #425
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Is ok to say that I'm really not looking forward to playing around with add-ons?
Honestly, it's not too bad these days. I spent quite a bit of time optimizing my wife's UI to improve her framerates and the addon tab in-game is much easier to work with than in the past. You can turn addons on and off without having to log out of your character. Just fiddle with them like that and you'll get a good sense quickly of what's working.

Make a copy of your addon folder in case something goes wrong and you can go right back to what you had before.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #426
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol you want to give all your secrets to RUSSIA!!

Just kidding, been looking forward to this, thanks!
That's why I use the one from Romania.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #427
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Bartender should be fine, but I would switch xperl to zperl and turn off unit frame portraits if you really can't stand the default unit frames. Titan Panel really is superfluous at this point with all the options the game gives you to track currency/reputation and bag space.
I lied, I have zperl already.

I'll check the unit frame option.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #428
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol you want to give all your secrets to RUSSIA!!

Just kidding, been looking forward to this, thanks!
You kid, but a lot of businesses are moving away from Kaspersky because of their Russian government ties. Causing a bit of a headache at work as my company used them for our official endpoint security solution, but any client that cares at all about data privacy wants nothing to do with them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #429
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cortex seems to be legit. You need to run it go through the apps on the 'boost' tab and then restart your machine.

I did not experience the frame rates crashing like I had previously in Dalaran.

The only addon I removed was Titan Panel, but it's going back in today. Can't cope without it!!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #430
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having an issue with my MS Surface I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a dual band router. Lately the surface is showing a weak connection to the 5ghz band despite being rock solid since I bought it a little over a year ago. It doesn't even seem to see the 2.4 band despite the fact my cell phone which is right beside the surface, which is connected to the 2.4 band shows full signal as do all the other mobile devices in my house.

I've tried re-setting the adapter but doesn't seem to have helped out the issue.

What's also odd, I can see all the other wireless routers my neigbours have and they show a much stronger signal despite being a house or two over from me.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #431
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Spoiler!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #432
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any opinions on gigabyte laptop quality?
Newegg has a few for a decent prices.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #433
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Having an issue with my MS Surface I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a dual band router. Lately the surface is showing a weak connection to the 5ghz band despite being rock solid since I bought it a little over a year ago. It doesn't even seem to see the 2.4 band despite the fact my cell phone which is right beside the surface, which is connected to the 2.4 band shows full signal as do all the other mobile devices in my house.

I've tried re-setting the adapter but doesn't seem to have helped out the issue.

What's also odd, I can see all the other wireless routers my neigbours have and they show a much stronger signal despite being a house or two over from me.
Man did this thing get squirrley. The wifi icon even changed to a wired connection icon (Surface does not have an ethernet port). Restarting did nothing so on a whim, tried just powering off. Powered it back up and it works fine now. Odd. Wifi icon is back and show full signal to 2.4 band and an almost full signal on 5.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #434
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Asus and Acer 27" 4K HDR 144Hz PC monitors are delayed to 2018

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11701/...splays-to-2018

And if you like cores in your processor, AMD Threadripper review. Lots of threads for a great price if you need lots of threads.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/...d-1920x-review
Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #435
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to get a new 1440p/144hz monitor for gaming purposes, anyone have any recommendations? I'm thinking I'd want to spend like $800 max.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #436
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

AMD's new video card reviews should be out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/...-and-56-review

Looks like good competition for the nvidia 1080 and 1070, though the top AMD card needs 110W and 150W MORE to get the same performance as the 1080, which is pretty crazy and a deal killer for many.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #437
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let's talk about computer cases.

I am not currently happy with my existing case. I am lacking airflow. It is a very nice little case, adorable even, but the size profile is too slim for my hardcore gaming marathons.

I'd like another small form factor case but I'm hoping there's a solution out there that is more cube like than long and thin.

I've got a mini itx board, asus 1070 gpu as the major component guidelines.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #438
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting to consider upgrading a build I bought off of my friend. It's honestly doing okay for what I wanted (1080p 60fps gaming for not so intensive games; Overwatch, random steam games and eventually Destiny 2)

Currently:
I5 2500k (not OC atm) with a 212 EVO + cooler
R9 280x 3gb
1TB HDD
128 GB ssd x 2 in raid 0 for OS
16gb of ram at 1600 MHz

Looking at:
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Will be reusing everything else (storage, case and probably PSU)

Reason I'm pining for an upgrade is I'd like to stream on PC as well and might as well upgrade the video card since that's my obvious bottleneck at the moment. Not expecting to upgrade to 1440p monitors for a while so this is for a strictly 1080p, gaming/streaming upgrade while trying to keep the price down.

Only questions I have would be if there's anything else to consider. I know the RX580 was recommended as an alternative to the 1060 despite the lack of stock. Also making the jump to the 1070 is also tempting but not sure if I'd actually get value out of it.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #439
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all you want is 1080p, I'd say go with the GTX 1060.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #440
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, I need to grab a laptop for my master's program.
Requirements for the program say I need a gtx970 or greater video card, but I've been told that equal to or greater means gtx170 or 1080, which seems like serious overkill.
I'm wondering if I'll notice much of a drop off with a gtx150ti or gtx1060 instead? Seems like I can get what I want with a 1050ti for about 500-700 cheaper

I'll be using it for adobe suite, rhino, revit, 3ds max etc...so pretty graphic intensive stuff, but I don't care if it'll run AAA games at the highest resolution.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote