Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #841
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good tasting menu?

Ive had the tasting menu at Alloy and loved it. To be honest that was my first venture into fancy food so im at a bit of a loss. Ive heard Model Milk was good.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
1. Deane House
2. Rouge
3. Carino Riserva
4. Anju (Not official but they'll do one if asked)

Not a tasting menu, but wife and I went to Bridgette Bar and it was really good. You could order lots of plates and have a similar experience.

Oh and follow up with drinks at Bar Von Der Fels. Went there after and it was a great chatting spot. Wine selection is awesome for people who enjoy.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #842
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I second Workshop! I've been there a number of times and have never actually ordered off the menu. You can do either a 3 course or 5 course meal.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #843
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Anyone know why that fast food place Shogun located in the sun life plaza closed? I thought they did crazy good business.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #844
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well ive got 6:30 reservations for Workshop.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #845
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally tried Alloy, which has been mentioned here several times. Great food and a nice atmosphere, but still think it's a weird location.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 AM   #846
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Both creekside bar and grill aswell as The Smith (former halo location) closed in the last couple of weeks.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #847
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Both creekside bar and grill aswell as The Smith (former halo location) closed in the last couple of weeks.
The Smith is a tough loss, felt like we finally had a decent brunch spot in this area of town. But it also looks like they midnight moved & left staff/musicians unpaid.

Creekside Bar doesn't surprise me at all, the current(?) owner never seemed to have a clear vision for what he wanted the bar to be, and I don't ever recall having the same server on more than two visits. The food was surprisingly consistent quality, but the service was always hit & miss. Eventually we stopped going because the service/experience would vary so much.

Last edited by Regular_John; 07-20-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #848
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Stupid question.

Vietnamese restaurants in calgary. Most times I've ever gone we order individually. However it is my understanding that traditionally in vietnam food is eaten communally, the way we'd eat chinese food. Rice in a bowl and then place some of the meat from each communal dish on top.

Normally we order vermicelli or pho and eat it ourselves.

So how do most vietnamese places in calgary operate? For an uncultured caveman like myself, is there some way to tell which dishes are meant to be communal and which aren't? I can't recall anyone ever sharing pho but I could see how vermicelli, stir fry or rice dishes could be ordered for a whole table.

I know that at the end of the day I can just eat and order whatever I want. I'm just curious as which dishes are which from an etiquette perspective. What is the "right" way.

To be clear, I mean how is it done in Calgary, not vietnam. If I go to essence of saigon or the little place in Beacon Hill, I've always been under the impression that all (most?) dishes are individual. Or am I wrong?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-19-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: clarity
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #849
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
The Smith is a tough loss, felt like we finally had a decent brunch spot in this area of town. But it also looks like they midnight moved & left staff/musicians unpaid.

Creekside Bar doesn't surprise me at all, the current(?) owner never seemed to have a clear vision for what he wanted the bar to be, and I don't ever recall having the same server on more than two visits. The food was surprisingly consistent quality, but the service was always hit & miss. Eventually we stopped going because it the service/experience would vary so much.
Yeah its kind of annoying nothing is really in stumbling distance...Austins maybe I guess or Three Crowns?

Creek-side went in for wings once and as you said the service was something to be desired.Never really had a reason to go back again even though the gf and i enjoy wings.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #850
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Stupid question.

Vietnamese restaurants in calgary. Most times I've ever gone we order individually. However it is my understanding that traditionally in vietnam food is eaten communally, the way we'd eat chinese food. Rice in a bowl and then place some of the meat from each communal dish on top.

So how do most vietnamese places in calgary operate? For an uncultured caveman like myself, is there some way to tell which dishes are meant to be communal and which aren't? I can't recall anyone ever sharing pho but I could see how vermicelli, stir fry or rice dishes could be ordered for a whole table.

I know that at the end of the day I can just eat and order whatever I want. I'm just curious as which dishes are which from an etiquette perspective. What is the "right" way.

To be clear, I mean how is it done in Calgary, not vietnam. If I go to essence of saigon or the little place in Beacon Hill, I've always been under the impression that all (most?) dishes are individual. Or am I wrong?
Many years ago, I went on a date with a girl with Vietnamese ancestry and we had a communal meal together, consisting of wraps that we made ourselves. All the ingredients (both raw and cooked) were laid out on several plates and we would take what we wanted and wrap them ourselves in rice paper (after soaking them in warm water for a few seconds). It was fun and delicious. I have never been back though. The restaurant was in a strip mall in Castleridge, on northwestern corner of the intersection of McKnight and 52nd St.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #851
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Took my boys to Naina's the other day and while there I tried her Burger of the week. It sounded alright although to be honest, I was a tad skeptical but she promised that I'd love it and once again she was correct, it was delicious.

Campfire Stuffed Burger - stuffed with smokies, cheddar & sautéed onions

Also on Special:
Meatloaf Poutine
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #852
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post

Campfire Stuffed Burger - stuffed with smokies, cheddar & sautéed onions
I feel like I wouldn't survive eating that burger!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #853
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Pure Vietnamese down on 8th last night. Our friends picked it on the strength of John Gilchrist and Avenue reviews. We loved it. It was expensive by Vietnamese standards, but cheap by "dining out" standards - much food and 2 bottles of wine at $190. Essentially, it's Vietnamese tapas, and since I love Vietnamese and I love tapas... I would advise not even bothering with main dishes.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #854
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Stupid question.

Apps such as spring/salad rolls is what I would considered to be shared. Some restaurants also have stir fry on the menu which is good for a group. Otherwise, get your own damn food!
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #855
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I feel like I wouldn't survive eating that burger!
I totally understand you thinking that which played into my initial hesitation but it actually wasn't that heavy at all, just delicious
Old 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #856
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A couple of buddies and I with our kids after seeing Spiderman (fantastic) went to Fiesta Restaurant & Market in Midpark SE and it was incredible. It was authentic Mexican style tacos, gorditas and soup at its finest, fresh ingredients used in traditional cooking style made it a restaurant I will want to revisit a couple times a week. We all tried both the pork in red & hot sauce, mole chicken plus a new filling not yet on the menu called barbacoa which was absolutely delicious. The gorditas were so light, fluffy and stuffed to capacity, eating here completely transported me back to sitting on a beautiful beach in Tulum. The best part is the price, to eat this home cooked, real authentic food is only three bucks a taco! The owner was there and is a great guy, all the staff was so nice, the only hesitation is you need to be able to handle spice, my boys (10 & 8) and I were totally fine, I was dipping everything in the hot sauces provided while my friend Alex did his best but was sweating and had to order a couple of horchata to battle the heat, lol. We wanted to try the sopa azteca but they had run out and we're in the process of making more which to me was a great sign that what they had made from scratch that morning was gone and instead of just reheating something frozen, they were making it again fresh. The restaurant is definitely worth a visit, I highly recommend it and really hope it does well as it is very deserving.

Last edited by Iceman57; 07-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #857
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed today that tu tierra (corner of fair mount and heritage) is now a Filipino resturant
Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #858
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I noticed today that tu tierra (corner of fair mount and heritage) is now a Filipino resturant
Tu Tierra moved about a km away.

http://mitierra.ca/index.html
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #859
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Tu Tierra moved about a km away.

http://mitierra.ca/index.html
Is this place good? Menu looks great.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #860
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's been over 10 years since I've eaten there. It was good for what it was, people seem to think highly of it.

edit: no, not more than 10, but definitely over 5.

Last edited by nik-; 07-25-2017 at 07:51 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business