Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #1961
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you think so? I doubt it. The NHL is a pretty small and tightly-knit group. I don't believe something like that would ever fly under the radar, and am fairly sure that it would be nearly impossible to keep confidential.
I think in college football its usually under the guise of off season jobs or something. So in pro sports, it would be along the lines of sponsorships or endorsements.

Say I own a nightclub. If Jagr signs in Calgary, I'll pay him $1 million to make appearances at the nightclub.

It's a different situation but if Joe fan really wants to spend millions of his own money to get Jagr in Calgary, it seems you could do it.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #1962
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Sorry, no you didn't. I mean you kinda did but not really to be more precise...
Wow, yeah you're really right. To be honest I'd tried to shut that out of my brain entirely, I guess I sort of misremembered exactly what happened. Not my finest moment, for sure. Thanks for calling me out on that.

Anyway, I can assure you that what I said about Jagr is far more reputable than my posts in February.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1963
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah this is exactly what boosters have been doing for years. Frankly I'm sure it would be easy enough to circumvent the cap rules doing this. But this seems to be a college sports phenomenon, where there are way too many rich people who seem to care way too much how their college football team does. And although the $'s can get big, I don't think even elite college athletes are getting millions of $'s under the table like this.
definitely... Forensic accounting will eventually catch up with you if your payouts to kids begins to really float a lifestyle not at all possible by a college athlete...

that's one of the biggest reasons the values are lower than what we are talking about with Jagr... Reggie Bush got caught, IIRC, cause an agent bought his mom a nice pad in LA, or was letting he stay there rent free during Bush's USC days...

the SEC is smart: 100 dollar handshakes is the way to do it... Not to mention the NCAA is basically spineless and will look the other way, since they don't have subpoena power, athletes can simply refuse to cooperate until they bolt to the NFL...

Sorry... didn't mean to derail the thread. Just a pet peeve of mine...

Back to Jagr - there are way too many eyes out there for cap circumvention to work and the numbers are much to big to hide... Joe fan could try to do it, but I am sure the other teams would put the brakes on it very quickly as its against the spirit of the salary cap, which is to create competitive balance.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #1964
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why would a fan spend considerable millions to help Murray Edwards cheat and get richer?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #1965
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Why would a fan spend considerable millions to help Murray Edwards cheat and get richer?

Because some fans love their team and don't really care about the owners? I certainly do not give Edwards's wellbeing a second thought when it comes to the Flames. I am sure there are plenty of fans who think likewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #1966
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Because some fans love their team and don't really care about the owners? I certainly do not give Edwards's wellbeing a second thought when it comes to the Flames. I am sure there are plenty of fans who think likewise.
Sure but in the example from the OP he talked about offering 4m in private money. Presumably to help Flames win cup, which would directly translate to millions of dollars into Edwards pocket.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #1967
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sure but in the example from the OP he talked about offering 4m in private money. Presumably to help Flames win cup, which would directly translate to millions of dollars into Edwards pocket.
Which would also translate to a Stanley Cup for his favourite team.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #1968
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Which would also translate to a Stanley Cup for his favourite team.
Ok but it's not a realistic idea. Moving on.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #1969
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Ok but it's not a realistic idea. Moving on.
Your reaction is more baffling than the original comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #1970
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just scanning the names of first time waiver eligible this season and one name that has been previously linked to the Flames stands out: Kerby Rychel.

Rychel was the 19th OA pick in the 2013 draft. Asked for a trade out of Columbus back in 2015 as he felt he wasn't going to get a fair shot to the NHL there with their forward depth. The Flames were reportedly scouting him heavily in the AHL during the 15/16 season but Columbus' asking price at the time was too high. BJs ended up traded him at the 2016 draft to Toronto.

He is now waiver eligible for the first time this season, which MAY bring up interesting scenarios depending on how Toronto's training camp plays out. Toronto already has potentially 15 or 16 forwards ahead of him and barring injuries they may be forced to try to sneak him through waivers or trade him.

No guarantees that the Flames are still that interested in him as Tkachuk has been drafted and established himself since then. Also if the Flames were to claim him on waivers or trade for him, he would have to stay up on the NHL roster or risk losing him on waivers again. If the Flames still think he needs significant time developing in the AHL, then they probably have little interest unless they acquire him after clearing waivers.

How Shinkaruk, Poirier, or any other young player fighting for a winger spot at camp perform would also potentially influence the level of interest the Flames have.

Just something to keep an eye on heading into training camp and the start of the season. A current description of his current level right now could be Ferland three years ago- an emerging power forward with truculence.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-18-2017 at 09:23 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #1971
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames will likely be looking for someone at that 4L LW spot too. Could be a good fit there.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #1972
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Just scanning the names of first time waiver eligible this season and one name that has been previously linked to the Flames stands out: Kerby Rychel.

Rychel was the 19th OA pick in the 2013 draft. Asked for a trade out of Columbus back in 2015 as he felt he wasn't going to get a fair shot to the NHL there with their forward depth. The Flames were reportedly scouting him heavily in the AHL during the 15/16 season but Columbus' asking price at the time was too high. BJs ended up traded him at the 2016 draft to Toronto.

He is now waiver eligible for the first time this season, which MAY bring up interesting scenarios depending on how Toronto's training camp plays out. Toronto already has potentially 15 or 16 forwards ahead of him and barring injuries they may be forced to try to sneak him through waivers or trade him.

No guarantees that the Flames are still that interested in him as Tkachuk has been drafted and established himself since then. Also if the Flames were to claim him on waivers or trade for him, he would have to stay up on the NHL roster or risk losing him on waivers again. If the Flames still think he needs significant time developing in the AHL, then they probably have little interest unless they acquire him after clearing waivers.

He's been a decent AHL player. Of course, he is a left shooting left wing, which is not really a need here. And his dad is his agent (trouble!). It's funny that he wanted out of Columbus because he was stuck in the depth chart there, and he goes to Toronto, who has as much young talent up front as anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #1973
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's see - Monahan, Lazar, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk - why not add Rychel too and make it an even half dozen of 2013 first rounders!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #1974
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He's been a decent AHL player. Of course, he is a left shooting left wing, which is not really a need here. And his dad is his agent (trouble!). It's funny that he wanted out of Columbus because he was stuck in the depth chart there, and he goes to Toronto, who has as much young talent up front as anyone.
Kevin Overhardt is his agent, but his dad was involved in the trade request from Columbus and some other meetings with Columbus management.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #1975
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Kevin Overhardt is his agent, but his dad was involved in the trade request from Columbus and some other meetings with Columbus management.
Thanks - some articles said his dad was his agent (at least back then). I'm happy to hear he has actual professional advice.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #1976
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always liked Kerby, and I was hoping we would aquire him when he was on the block a few years ago, but doesn't he have skating issues that are holding him back?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #1977
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Let's see - Monahan, Lazar, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk - why not add Rychel too and make it an even half dozen of 2013 first rounders!
This reminds me of that really famous Meat Loaf song... One out of Six Ain't Bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #1978
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...05848820781056

Quote:
STL has asked for a two-year deal on Parayko at $3.4M and $3.6M. He is asking for one year at $4.85. Still time for settlements.
Jacob Slavin is 23, played 154 NHL games, and has 54 points. Signs 7 x $5.3m.

Parayko is exactly a year older and has 160 games, 68 points. How are Blues and him not talking long term deal? Seems like market has a pretty reasonable comparable for him.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #1979
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post

Parayko is exactly a year older and has 160 games, 68 points. How are Blues and him not talking long term deal? Seems like market has a pretty reasonable comparable for him.
I'd guess offhand that just because the oilers screwed everyone by damn near killing the bridge contract that doesn't mean some teams don't still like it and want to use it to build a team. Sure you gamble on a PK style breakout but it's a decent bet from ownership's side. You win with cheap contracts in a salary cap league right? So keep guys cheap as long as possible.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #1980
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post

He is only referring to arbitration. You can ask for either a one or two year deal and the settlement amount is binding. Alternatively, they can settle on a longer term deal prior to arbitration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread