Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #2141
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So was I the only one wondering why that group of Lannister soldiers was non-rapey? Arya just rolls into their camp with not even a care, we do get that shot of her seeing that all their swords are off of them. Just struck me as kind of odd after so many seasons of people avoiding troops like the plague, since they were all killing, looting, and raping. Or is she just so next level now that taking them out would have been no problem for her and she had possibly sized them up before riding into their camp?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #2142
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So was I the only one wondering why that group of Lannister soldiers was non-rapey? Arya just rolls into their camp with not even a care, we do get that shot of her seeing that all their swords are off of them. Just struck me as kind of odd after so many seasons of people avoiding troops like the plague, since they were all killing, looting, and raping. Or is she just so next level now that taking them out would have been no problem for her and she had possibly sized them up before riding into their camp?
I'm sure they'll try to kill her next episode.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #2143
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they talked about the Umbers and Karstarks getting to keep their lands, who gets the Dreadfort now? Tormund?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #2144
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lady Mormont - still the most badass of the north.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #2145
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah we're already getting 8 hours this season. Could be 8-10 hours next season, despite having fewer episodes.

Even if it isn't quite that much it doesn't seem far fetched at all for them to wrap this thing up nicely with 15 or so hours total.
With next season being six episodes, there's no way it'll run 10 hours. Even 8 could be a stretch. If there was going to be 10 hours of showtime, they would've made 10 episodes like usual.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #2146
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did not expect Sheeran to be so front and center.

Was hard to pay attention to Arya in her dialogue scenes with him right there almost in front of her... A bit unnecessary. Almost like they were going for "hey look at these celebs we can bring into our scenes now that our show is so big!"

but in the end I didn't mind and it was also great in the sense that you're seeing both the light and dark sides to every house and character. There is no purely good/moral or evil character in the show (aside from good guy Jon Snow). Makes the characters believable.

The Hound's scenes were great, how he was missed.. Hard to not enjoy his brutal, unfiltered honesty.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #2147
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Did not expect Sheeran to be so front and center.

Was hard to pay attention to Arya in her dialogue scenes with him right there almost in front of her... A bit unnecessary. Almost like they were going for "hey look at these celebs we can bring into our scenes now that our show is so big!"

but in the end I didn't mind and it was also great in the sense that you're seeing both the light and dark sides to every house and character. There is no purely good/moral or evil character in the show (aside from good guy Jon Snow). Makes the characters believable.

The Hound's scenes were great, how he was missed.. Hard to not enjoy his brutal, unfiltered honesty.
He's not the same Hound that cut down Arya's friend without a second thought in season 1; the Hound is showing remorse and regret now. He even attempted to say a few words for the people he buried. The fact he is probably the reason they died of starvation is not sitting well.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #2148
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
With next season being six episodes, there's no way it'll run 10 hours. Even 8 could be a stretch. If there was going to be 10 hours of showtime, they would've made 10 episodes like usual.
As per the article posted above they may have feature length episodes next season. The article about how the episodes possibly being 80+ mins has been circulating for a week or two now.

Six 90min episodes is 9 hours.

So actually it could run quite long compared to what we're used to. As for fewer episodes with longer run times, there's been a ton of speculation as to why. Cost seems to be a factor.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #2149
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting that Arya is heading south to King's Landing and not north to Winterfell. I guess the Stark reunion tour will need to be delayed for now.

I'm sure Sam and prisoner/patient Jorah will link up to get the dragon glass on Dragonstone and possibly connect Jon and Dany.

With all the references to the wall in this episode, it is clearly coming down soon. Or it's magic stop working since Bran is on the other side (like the Three-Eyed Raven's cave) since the Night King touched him.

Love the Hound, the zombie giants, and Arya's murder parade. Who is left on her list? Cersei and the Mountain? I'm assuming the Hound is off her list as she left him for dead.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #2150
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
As per the article posted above they may have feature length episodes next season. The article about how the episodes possibly being 80+ mins has been circulating for a week or two now.

Six 90min episodes is 9 hours.

So actually it could run quite long compared to what we're used to. As for fewer episodes with longer run times, there's been a ton of speculation as to why. Cost seems to be a factor.
If the actors are paid by episode, it's a no brainer to make less of them but with longer run times
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #2151
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
He's not the same Hound that cut down Arya's friend without a second thought in season 1; the Hound is showing remorse and regret now. He even attempted to say a few words for the people he buried. The fact he is probably the reason they died of starvation is not sitting well.
I believe the house they stayed in was the same house from the famous chicken scene.

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #2152
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Quite the loophole. You would have thought someone would have thought about that...
You have to assume white walkers can't swim. So the wall likely goes right up to the water. It has worked for a long time, but now they'll find a way somehow. Maybe the coldest winter in memory will freeze the water? Or maybe a bridge made out of zombies? It doesn't sound like the wall is coming down like I once thought.

And holy cow! That trailer gave away a major plot point that has been simmering for seven years.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #2153
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I believe the house they stayed in was the same house from the famous chicken scene.

Speaking of chicken

Link

Also
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #2154
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post

No, it's this house.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #2155
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
You have to assume white walkers can't swim. So the wall likely goes right up to the water. It has worked for a long time, but now they'll find a way somehow. Maybe the coldest winter in memory will freeze the water? Or maybe a bridge made out of zombies? It doesn't sound like the wall is coming down like I once thought.

And holy cow! That trailer gave away a major plot point that has been simmering for seven years.
If the plan is to go around, I would assume they will either use boats or they'll actually invade eastwatch and overtake the castle. Although using the water by turning it to ice is a possibility.

While we never saw it in great detail, going around the wall has been discussed on several occasions. Jon learned about it before he went over the wall with Ygritte and gang. It also came up when they went to Hardhome to rescue all the stranded wildlings.

I believe the wall should come down. Not only would it make great TV as a spectacle but it has been discussed numerous times that small holes don't matter much because it would take too long to get everyone through. Not to mention the symbolism of the great wall coming down and how it would represent #### never being the same in Westeros.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #2156
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the beginning it was like where is the theme song?? But them cutting to it after the Frey Massacre was soooo awesome!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #2157
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed Euron Greyjoy ribbing old golden hand:

"So here I am, with a thousand ships. And two good hands."

When Cersei pointed out that Euron was deeply untrustworthy because, "You murdered your own brother," he gleefully suggested, "You should try it, it feels wonderful."

I thought the scene with Arya and the soldiers was totally out of character for her. "Oh, hey. Here's a bunch of guys. I should totally stop and shoot the ####. No, Arya would have heard them and kept her distance.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #2158
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'm not entirely sure I would place that much faith in what the hound is saying. I kind of got the impression he was faking his vision in order to manipulate the situation he was in.

Even his walk up to the fire seemed odd. Historically, he's had an extremely crippling fear of fire. In this scene he treated confronting fire like it was a lot more casual.

Maybe the mount of detail he provided makes this whole theory impossible, but it just seemed very odd. He hardly seemed affected by this huge epiphany. Maybe after his own resurrection, the vision was fairly minor or maybe it's just his nature to be low key. Overall, it just seemed like the Hound's vision was just a little too convenient.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #2159
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think Ayra was very cautious with that lot, she made sure to check the weapon situation, gauged them before she dismounted. She was eyeing them for a while as she rode up as well, probably the fact she took them by surprise was enough for her to realize these aren't real killers.

If anything I'm more surprised she didn't just start slitting throats versus them trying to rape her. But then they did a good job of showing her get jabbed by their comments about fathers and family. That was such a well done scene.

Great opening episode, little taste of all the big players and lots of set up mixed in with just an oh so satisfying starting scene. The dialogue is really quite clever, the writers have done a great job with limited source material.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #2160
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I enjoyed Euron Greyjoy ribbing old golden hand:

"So here I am, with a thousand ships. And two good hands."

When Cersei pointed out that Euron was deeply untrustworthy because, "You murdered your own brother," he gleefully suggested, "You should try it, it feels wonderful."

I thought the scene with Arya and the soldiers was totally out of character for her. "Oh, hey. Here's a bunch of guys. I should totally stop and shoot the ####. No, Arya would have heard them and kept her distance.
That's kind of the way of the many faced men. They blend in and gather information. Arya was using the information from the soldiers to gather as much information about Cersei down south as she could. She was so confident in her ability to be unassuming that she is able to tell them what her plan is (killing Cersei) without fear of them catching on.

Also, Arya is now a trained assassin used to going toe to toe with fighters who've mastered not only fighting skills but the supernatural. These kind of low level scrub soldiers aren't going to be a threat to her in any way. Initially when she approaches them, she does have her hand on her sword too. Had Arya recognized a threat, she would have gone about the whole thing differently, likely killing the majority of them and torturing the survivors for info.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: