Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #7381
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The difference between .907 and .911 (Average) is very small.

I don't think I'm wrong in stating that the Flames netminding was pretty close to average.

I mean they are tied with the St.Louis Blues at .907 and the Blues are in the middle third on that list.
I think that your really wrong on that, first of all because the Stats don't really tell the story all that well. The Flames couldn't trust their goaltending.

A pretty good hot streak disguised an overall really below average performance by the Flames goalies.

And in the playoffs, it didn't matter how well the Flames played as a whole, and when you go back and watch that series the Flames were every bit as good as the Ducks. Except that the goaltending completely sank them.

Its actually more likely that the Flames see improvement in terms of consistency this year and move towards the mean then Talbot continuing to play 70+ games and bailing out a team that gave up a lot of danger area chances, and without Sekera there that blueline is poor.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #7382
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Let me see if I understand this reasoning:

The Flames have finished ahead of the Oilers in GF over the last two years despite the Oilers having McDavid, Draisaitl and Maroon on the roster and even adding Jokinen (28 points) won't move the needle much...and why will it change?

Flames have the better offensive team and their young forwards (Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk) are all under 24 and still getting better and better.

The Oliers have a nice pair of offensive forwards but are vastly overrated in their offensive abilities and the proof is there.
oops, you didn't read what I said...I wasn't talking about the offense

killer deflection though
Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #7383
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Flames didn't finish ahead of the Oilers in GF last season.
Well, it's a good thing that I didn't make that claim then. Over the last TWO years, the Flames have scored 451 goal while the Oilers scored 442.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #7384
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaedo View Post
Please see how Edmonton compares to Calgary in regards to having enough star-ppwer to win the Cup.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...to-win-the-cuphttp://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...to-win-the-cup
now I'm convinced...Jets and Caps Final next year book it

edit: and LOL at Hamilton and Giordano ahead of Doughty, Keith, Malkin and Ovechkin...what a load of nonsense

Last edited by AlbertaOiler72; 07-15-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #7385
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
now I'm convinced...Jets and Caps Final next year book it
Certainly better odds than booking the SC parade route on Jasper Ave!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #7386
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

killer deflection though
You might notice that I kind of reversed a few other parts too. I was using "your argument" to "prove" that the Oiler's offense is overrated in the same way you "proved" that the Flame's defense is overrated.

You seriously didn't understand that?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Doe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #7387
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
You might notice that I kind of reversed a few other parts too. I was using "your argument" to "prove" that the Oiler's offense is overrated in the same way you "proved" that the Flame's defense is overrated.

You seriously didn't understand that?
we finished 8th in the league in GF...how is that "overrated"?
the Flames finished 14 in GA with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton and haven't finished top 5 in GA since the Kipper years

no one is claiming the Oilers have a top 5 offense (although we did finish ahead of the Flames last year)...unlike some Flames fans are saying about their defense (although the Oilers finished ahead of them in that category too)
Old 07-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #7388
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

So smug.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #7389
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers fans talk more about the Flames defence than Flames fans do.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #7390
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton had an endless rotating goalie factory as well until they finally found something in Talbot last year. Love how quickly the smugness comes on once they finally have one good year for the first time in over a decade. Haven't lived in Edmonton since the end of the 2013 season, that year to year insomnia Oilers fans catch up there every season is still very much in play I see
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #7391
Oilers93
Lifetime Suspension

The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #7392
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
The Flames D are a big reason why their tending has been average to poor the last few years. They give up way to many quality chances and have to tighten up in their own end.

Our D is a huge reason why Talbot had the year that he had. Yes, he did his part but at the same time the D made it easy for him a lot of nights. The addition of Larsson was huge.

What a load of crap.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #7393
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which was why the Flames had to unload Kris Russell.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #7394
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

This is the most delusional thing I have seen here in a very long time, and that is saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #7395
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

U wot m8 ur d is ####e its all bollocks chia be wankin sumfin fierce lets fite
Old 07-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #7396
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
we finished 8th in the league in GF...how is that "overrated"?
the Flames finished 14 in GA with Gio, Brodie and Hamilton and haven't finished top 5 in GA since the Kipper years

no one is claiming the Oilers have a top 5 offense (although we did finish ahead of the Flames last year)...unlike some Flames fans are saying about their defense (although the Oilers finished ahead of them in that category too)
I dont come to the unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Forum expecting "we" to be referring to anyone but the Calgary Flames. Find a hobby or another board to post on.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #7397
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that your really wrong on that, first of all because the Stats don't really tell the story all that well. The Flames couldn't trust their goaltending.

A pretty good hot streak disguised an overall really below average performance by the Flames goalies.

And in the playoffs, it didn't matter how well the Flames played as a whole, and when you go back and watch that series the Flames were every bit as good as the Ducks. Except that the goaltending completely sank them.

Its actually more likely that the Flames see improvement in terms of consistency this year and move towards the mean then Talbot continuing to play 70+ games and bailing out a team that gave up a lot of danger area chances, and without Sekera there that blueline is poor.
I'd argue that average goaltending is usually inconsistent.

Goalies have good and bad stretches. Johnson and Elliot probably contributed to as many wins as they did to losses. There was a lot of talk for Johnson to make the all-star game early in the season. He had a good first half, and Elliot had a good second half.

Elliot's play in the playoffs was god awful for sure.

I think perhaps his playoff performance has changed some fans views of the goaltending performance over the entire season.

I don't remember fans panicking about the goaltending going into the playoffs. I think most were pretty OK with it at that time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #7398
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

killer deflection though

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 07-15-2017 at 02:31 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #7399
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd argue that average goaltending is usually inconsistent.

Goalies have good and bad stretches. Johnson and Elliot probably contributed to as many wins as they did to losses. There was a lot of talk for Johnson to make the all-star game early in the season. He had a good first half, and Elliot had a good second half.

Elliot's play in the playoffs was god awful for sure.

I think perhaps his playoff performance has changed some fans views of the goaltending performance over the entire season.

I don't remember fans panicking about the goaltending going into the playoffs. I think most were pretty OK with it at that time.
The problem is he was terrible at the two most important times of the year. His terrible play was one of the main reasons the team dug themselves an early hole, which eventually gave them the worst match-up in the first round.
And then he was awful for the playoffs.
Doesn't matter if your overall play is OK if you completely soil yourself when the team needs you most.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #7400
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do flames fans join Oilers fan forums? All for intelligent conversations but do these Oiler posters actually come here for conversation or just to spark annoying arguments? Seems to be the latter usually.
Closed Thread