Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Total AAV value? Ferland+Bennett+Lazar+Kulak
3-4M 2 0.71%
4-5M 12 4.24%
5-6M 61 21.55%
6-7M 111 39.22%
7-8M 71 25.09%
8-9M 18 6.36%
9-10M 5 1.77%
10M+ 3 1.06%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #81
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary gets Bennett to commit to 3 years, it will cost them $3M per season minimum, IMO.

My guess he'd rather go 1 year, get 50+ points and cash in big time when he has "offer sheet" rights.

If that happens, that 3-year $3M contract will look like chump change.

Of course, I may be more bullish on Bennett getting a breakout year.

I'm sure it's coming, but less sure of when.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #82
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Ferland arguably had a better year than Bennett and absent where they were drafted would command similar money.
I will be surprised if either signs for more than 2 years, 3 maximum.
Bennett was trying to learn the centre position. Had they asked him to play right wing with Johnny and Sean I'm sure Bennett would've outscored Ferland in the role.

Ferland is the exact type of player you avoid paying $2M+ - he doesn't generate much offense on his own - he can finish when his linemates set the table, and he brings a physical element that line sorely needs.

I see training camp as a battle between Jankowski and Bennett for the #3C position. I can see a very plausible scenario where Jankowski wins that battle. When he does, Bennett will play on the top line, and Ferland will be a 3rd line physical winger with some skills making less than $2M a season.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 07-04-2017 at 06:49 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #83
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ferland is the exact type of player you avoid paying $2M+ - he doesn't generate much offense on his own - he can finish when his linemates set the table and he hits.

[/QUOTE]

What???? Seriously? Do you ever pay attention to his play?
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #84
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Ferland is the exact type of player you avoid paying $2M+ - he doesn't generate much offense on his own - he can finish when his linemates set the table and he hits.
What???? Seriously? Do you ever pay attention to his play?[/QUOTE]

I think that's what many said about Bouma some years back.

Now Ferland generated plenty of goals in JR, but so did many others who have trouble scoring in the NHL.

I'm not saying that Ferland will fall into that boat, but he's likely a complimentary player, not a core player.

You keep them as long as they are cheap.

This is an important year for him if he's going to be a Flames long term.

Bennett has way more talent than him, and can likely drive a line.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #85
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post

What???? Seriously? Do you ever pay attention to his play?
I do. I see a player who scored 15 goals playing with a couple $6.5M first line elite players. Without Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan, he's a 3rd line forward who can play physical and contribute 6-12 goals if he's not playing with utterly crap talent.

Ferland is a great fit on the Flames, but you can't overpay a player like that. Especially one who is often injured because of the very thing that makes him useful. Lance Bouma was waived last week for this exact reason.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 07-04-2017 at 06:50 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #86
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see a player who scored 6 goals playing mostly on the third and fourth lines for two-thirds of the season, and then scored 9 in two months once he was put on the first line – with very little power play time. His shooting percentage probably is not repeatable, but he could well be good for 20 goals as a regular supporting player on the Monahan line.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #87
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

So with Ferland done at 1.75 and Lazar done at 0.95 that leaves Kulak and Bennett.

Poll above had the average at 6.7 it looks like Treliving is beating the expectations so far.

He now has 4.0 left to sign Kulak and Bennett

Kulak is getting sub 1.0, probably .8, leaving 3.2 for Bennett and I think he beats that by just less than a million

Total 6.0 even
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #88
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cap hits I would like to see for the Bennett contract:

2.0M on a one year show me contract
2.3M on a two year bridge contract
2.7M on a three year "Niederreiter" contract
3.2M on a four year contract

4.2M on a long term 7-8 year contract
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #89
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

For a guy like Kulak, he's better off taking a lower NHL salary, and trying to up his AHL number. I guess small numbers can add up, but for the most part NHL salary's of 750k per head is likely what the Kulak/Wotherspoon/Gilles types could expect.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #90
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The cap hits I would like to see for the Bennett contract:

2.0M on a one year show me contract
2.3M on a two year bridge contract
2.7M on a three year "Niederreiter" contract
3.2M on a four year contract

4.2M on a long term 7-8 year contract
Not a chance a player like Bennett takes a 7-8 year deal for that low. He was drafted very highly and then was part of the Flames much slower development timeline. He's a player that realistically will be making 6+ million in 3 years.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #91
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
For a guy like Kulak, he's better off taking a lower NHL salary, and trying to up his AHL number. I guess small numbers can add up, but for the most part NHL salary's of 750k per head is likely what the Kulak/Wotherspoon/Gilles types could expect.
And getting his AAV closer to Bartkowski to keep money out of the equation for playing.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #92
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Lazar: $950,000 x 2
Ferland: $1,850,000 x 3
Bennett: $2,000,000 x 3
Props to you, sir. Props to you.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #93
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with a full year on the top line, Ferland is quite comfortably a 20 goal guy, simply because a) quality of linemates and b) his high quality shot.

If you have a top line with Gaudreau 20 goals, Monahan 30 goals, Ferland 20 goals - all very attainable, that's somewhere around 70/240 total team goals (which of course includes PP goals). But that's extremely productive from the top 3.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #94
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Not a chance a player like Bennett takes a 7-8 year deal for that low. He was drafted very highly and then was part of the Flames much slower development timeline. He's a player that realistically will be making 6+ million in 3 years.
Tyler Johnson just signed a long term contract for 5M. Most of them are UFA years, and pretty much all through his "prime". His last 4 seasons are 50 points, 72 points, 38 (in 69) and 45 (in 66). And he's been a PPG player in the playoffs with 40 points in his last 43 playoff games.

There's 0 reason to give Bennett, an unproven player we can only hope will contribute like Tyler Johnson has, a contract worth anywhere close to Johnson's.

Sure, if he wants to wait and actually prove himself go for it. Take one of the lower term contracts. But he's not getting an 8 year contract at anywhere close to 6M today, that would be ridiculous. Even when Josi signed his long-term 4M a year contract he had proven infinitely more than Bennett has shown.

Some players like the security, some players would rather prove himself. If Bennett is the former, you give him the term and 4M a year. You're delusional if you think Treliving would offer much more. Of course Bennett hasn't proven much of anything, so I doubt Treliving is even considering the potential handicapping of the team by offering him term. Bennett's primed for a prove-it bridge contract, those were just hypothetical cap-hits I would have been comfortable with.

In any case, if you extrapolate my numbers you would see that this what I see his contract being at each year as roughly:

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #95
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames RFA budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
...In any case, if you extrapolate my numbers you would see that this what I see his contract being at each year as roughly:

I don't know why you are comparing 26-year-old Tyler Johnson's third contract to what 21-year-old Sam Bennett can be expected to sign for on the heels of his ELC.

In any event, the point here is that there is no way to get Bennett on a long term deal without a significant overpayment for UFA years.

I expect a two year deal and will be ecstatic if it is three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #96
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Lazar and Ferland signed, and budgeting a $2.5MM AAV for Bennett, Darren Haynes in his most recent piece is updating the Flames available and un allocated cap for next season at $2.5MM.

The available cap to sign a FA could grow to between $3.1MM and $3.5MM depending on who you send down to Stockton. Is this enough to keep Jagr hopes alive?

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/p/ten...18-roster.html

Last edited by Gaudfather; 07-14-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Clarifying comment
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #97
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
With Lazar and Ferland signed, and budgeting a $2.5MM AAV for Bennett, Darren Haynes in his most recent piece is updating the Flames available and un allocated cap for next season at $2.5MM.

The available cap to sign a FA could grow to between $3.1MM and $3.5MM depending on who you send down to Stockton. Is this enough to keep Jagr hopes alive?

I wouldn't sign him for more than 3M regardless. At some point, his performance will fall off a cliff, the only question is when.

But I don't think he will likely sign up for the Flames' crazy road schedule for that amount.

And anyway, I suspect Treliving would prefer to leave himself a bit of wiggle room for depth additions at the trade deadline and to avoid having another bonus overage carrying forward into next season.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #98
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post

They have 850,000 in potential signing bonuses. If they don't want to have overages that budget could be down to $2.5 million.

If they don't care, I would think $3 million could land Jagr, unless Vegas throws dumb money at him...
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #99
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
2+2.75+.9+.9

6.35 total

(2 years, 2 years, 1 year, 1 year)
Got all the terms right, but have to give it to Treliving he saved 850K in the process.

The poll came in at 6.65M, or 1.15M higher than the actual.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #100
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

If they don't care, I would think $3 million could land Jagr, unless Vegas throws dumb money at him...
Gotta think if someone was going to throw a dumb contract at Jagr it would have happened already.

Jagr mentions here the Flames have been hot and cold on him throughout the summer. To me that suggests there is legitimate interest but Treliving wasn't going to do anything Jagr related until he had his main roster sewn up and knew what his cap situation was like. Everyone signed now, some cap space to play with. Except thing to some to a head with Jagr and the Flames soon. It'd be nice to get him signed, in Calgary and on the ice with his teammates before training camp opens for a day or two.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote