Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #121
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wonder what the cost would be to get Vegas to take Pickard from Colorado and flip him to Calgary? That is if they don't plan on taking him and keeping him for themselves.
If you're the Flames, how much do you give up for a backup goalie? You'd have to establish now much better Pickard vs. what you can get on a short term deal in UFA.

For better or worse, it seems they got Smith to play a lot of games. I don't see them giving up assets for a backup now.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #122
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I think it'll be Johnson
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #123
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If you're the Flames, how much do you give up for a backup goalie? You'd have to establish now much better Pickard vs. what you can get on a short term deal in UFA.

For better or worse, it seems they got Smith to play a lot of games. I don't see them giving up assets for a backup now.
Not a lot, and that's kind of the point. Try to get him for bargain basement price because he had a terrible year in the hopes that he regains some of his value in a back up role behind a much better team.

Then you can decide whether to keep grooming him behind Smith or flip him for a greater return than you gave up for him if Rittich/Gillies/Parsons have strong years in the minors and are ready to back up in 2018/19.

But yeah, if I'm the Flames I don't give up much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
^I think it'll be Johnson
I think so too.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #124
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not a lot, and that's kind of the point. Try to get him for bargain basement price because he had a terrible year in the hopes that he regains some of his value in a back up role behind a much better team.

Then you can decide whether to keep grooming him behind Smith or flip him for a greater return than you gave up for him if Rittich/Gillies/Parsons have strong years in the minors and are ready to back up in 2018/19.

But yeah, if I'm the Flames I don't give up much at all.

I think so too.
I guess to do that, Flames would have to give LV something better than they could otherwise pluck from the Avs roster. Maybe that's not hard. But then also more than anyone else is offering.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #125
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a good chance to grab a Grueber/Pickard/Raanta type of up and comer...I hope they can do that. If our own prospects turn out to be really great down then thats a good problem to have but let's not count on that.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #126
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Pickard as a backup, but I'd much prefer Phil Grubauer.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #127
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
This is a good chance to grab a Grueber/Pickard/Raanta type of up and comer...I hope they can do that. If our own prospects turn out to be really great down then thats a good problem to have but let's not count on that.
Well according to the Treliving interview, they have enough confidence in our young goalies that they don't want to pay the price required to get someone else's youngish goalie. Flames management does not want to block their way to the NHL with someone. He made that clear.

I understand why fans tend to be pessimistic on goalies. Their development often takes a while. They seem like a crapshoot (although every position is really.) But I think some Flames fans underrate our goalie prospects. Or perhaps not underrate but they are unwilling to count on them as anything. I think Parsons, Rittich and Gillies may be the 3 best prospect goalies we've ever had in my 20 years of following the Flames. Parsons is an insurance policy if Gillies doesn't pan out. Gillies is an insurance policy if Parsons doesn't pan out. Rittich is an insurance policy if neither turn out. Then we've got your longer shots in Schneider and McDonald who could turn out too. My point being that we're not pinning our hopes on one guy. It looks to me like we've got a few great young goalies and I think the chances of none of them turning out is so low that we can almost bank on one of the turning out.

It sure seems like management and our scouts believe the same. Treliving brought up the young goalies in the interview before Pat even asked about them. It seems pretty clear that they are banking on them long term, they believe in them enough. Time will tell.

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389

Our head scout's brother rates Parsons as the 2nd best goalie prospect outside the NHL. He rates Parsons ahead of Juolevi, Dubois, Sergachev and others. I think its safe to say we aren't being homers if we think Parsons is a top, top prospect at that position.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-18-2017 at 09:38 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #128
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Flames won't be trading for another goalie. They still have some important holes to fill and 3 of then are on D . Any more asset spending will be on defensemen. I'd still like them to focus a little more on adding one more forward but that's last on the list of priorities remaining for the off season. I'm personally hoping for Stones return and then signing Kulikov. Then rounding out the 6-7 spots with kids
Old 06-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #129
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnson's game doesn't give me much confidence, so I'm hoping the Flames go with one of their prospects to back Smith up. It's a risk, but I'd prefer Rittich over Johnson. Also saves money to spend on D and F.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #130
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer Rittich to be the backup too. Johnson probably is what he is. Rittich may or may not be any good, but may as well properly find out if he can hack it in the NHL or not.

Last edited by Karl; 06-18-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #131
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Parsons turns pro we will have 5 goalies in minors: Gillies, Rittich, McDonald, Parsons and McCollom. Even if you loan out one McCollom you want your prospects playing. Gillies in AHL and Parsons in ECHL. Seems McDonald is likely off man out. Use him as trade bait for Vegas as part of deal for a backup of some kind. They will need goalies for the minors too.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Demetric; 06-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #132
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
If Parsons turns pro we will have 5 goalies in minors: Gillies, Rittich, McDonald, Parsons and McCollom. Even if you loan out one McCollom you want your prospects playing. Gillies in AHL and Parsons in ECHL. Seems Parsons is likely off man out. Use him as trade bait for Vegas as part of deal for a backup of some kind. They will need goalies for the minors too.

I don't think you meant that. Trade Parsons for a backup?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #133
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't think you meant that. Trade Parsons for a backup?
Yeah sorry. Meant McDonald

Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #134
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if vegas passes on the big tickets if calgary could swap Brouwer for Bogosian after the draft. Reading that they want to move on from him... He is overpaid but I think he's a capable #4 on a better team.

His and Brouwers term and money line up pretty well.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #135
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames will go for Johnson due to the familiarity with the system and proven decency with the team.

Have to remember how long it took Elliott to adjust to the Flames system and Smith might go through something similar so it might be better to at least have a goalie who is already familiar with everything.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #136
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think the Flames will go for Johnson due to the familiarity with the system and proven decency with the team.

Have to remember how long it took Elliott to adjust to the Flames system and Smith might go through something similar so it might be better to at least have a goalie who is already familiar with everything.
It was more the team that needed getting used to the system not the goalies.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #137
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are done giving up assets for goalies, we will either pick up a ufa backup or give it to Rittich. I could see Johnson back for a 1 year deal.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #138
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Hearing that VGK touched base with the Kris Russell camp though nothing serious at this point. VGK will check in with several UFAs...
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #139
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Vegas signs a team's UFA does that mean they use up their chance at picking a player from that team (ie. If they sign Wideman now, they don't get to take a flames player)?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #140
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
If Vegas signs a team's UFA does that mean they use up their chance at picking a player from that team (ie. If they sign Wideman now, they don't get to take a flames player)?
Yes. If Vegas signs an unsigned UFA/RFA during this expansion draft window, it will count as their expansion draft pick from that team.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread