Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #541
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Has anybody switched to their LTE service? Supposedly it's live now in Calgary and Edmonton.
So, I changed my plan so that it was "LTE ready" this week and for about an hour I got LTE network coverage and speeds. However, for the last 3 days, I didn't get any LTE coverage on my phone. I called their tech support today and they said that I would be getting coverage sometime in 2017, that even though my phone is compatable with the network, it is not currently one of the "activated" phones in the network (aka the ones they personally sell).

I did buy a Moto G5 Plus from Amazon and it is one of the phones that should work on the Band 66 network, but since it is not one of the phones they sell, it isn't "supported" right now.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #542
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dumb question alert (sorry I'm not overly technical): to get LTE speeds on freedom, you have to a) specifically have 1 of the phones they are currently selling that is LTE enabled for them, and b) also sign up for a LTE plan of theirs?

I'm on a plan from their wind days with a nexus 5. It's not a do or die thing about LTE for me, more I'm just curious.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #543
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Dumb question alert (sorry I'm not overly technical): to get LTE speeds on freedom, you have to a) specifically have 1 of the phones they are currently selling that is LTE enabled for them, and b) also sign up for a LTE plan of theirs?

I'm on a plan from their wind days with a nexus 5. It's not a do or die thing about LTE for me, more I'm just curious.
1) You definitely need to be on one of their new LTE plans (aka give up your unlimited plan). They basically just want you to give up your old plan, because all of the new plans are LTE ready. Mine changed from the unlimited with 3GB unthrottled, then to unlimited to 4GB unthrottled with no unlimited package. I didn't find it a big deal for me, same price, $40.

2) Have a phone with band 66 compatibility in Calgary - most phones aren't compatible with this band yet.

3) I have heard mixed things on the issue I am experiencing, so I cannot confirm whether you really need one of their LTE phones right now or if I am just personally experiencing a problem with my specific phone because I didn't purchase it from them. I'll post in this thread when/if the issue gets resolved. I went to the store today and got a new SIM, it activated on LTE for 20 minutes and then booted me off.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #544
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
1) You definitely need to be on one of their new LTE plans (aka give up your unlimited plan). They basically just want you to give up your old plan, because all of the new plans are LTE ready. Mine changed from the unlimited with 3GB unthrottled, then to unlimited to 4GB unthrottled with no unlimited package. I didn't find it a big deal for me, same price, $40.

2) Have a phone with band 66 compatibility in Calgary - most phones aren't compatible with this band yet.

3) I have heard mixed things on the issue I am experiencing, so I cannot confirm whether you really need one of their LTE phones right now or if I am just personally experiencing a problem with my specific phone because I didn't purchase it from them. I'll post in this thread when/if the issue gets resolved. I went to the store today and got a new SIM, it activated on LTE for 20 minutes and then booted me off.
If you're able, could you comment on if the deadspots downtown resolve themselves on Lte? (Chinatown and Stephen Ave for example). Thanks
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #545
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Man, this is super. LG G6 with essentially unlimited super-fast LTE for $59 a month?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #546
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just grabbed the Sony xa1 and am now on lte. Seems pretty good so far
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #547
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at their website, do they not support apple phones? I would love to switch from Bell but I doubt I could talk the Mrs. away from an iPhone...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #548
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Mine changed from the unlimited with 3GB unthrottled, then to unlimited to 4GB unthrottled with no unlimited package. I didn't find it a big deal for me, same price, $40.
Are you sure? Seems like all the plans they have online now are XX amount of "full-speed data" meaning they're still unlimited?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #549
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I was looking at their website, do they not support apple phones? I would love to switch from Bell but I doubt I could talk the Mrs. away from an iPhone...
The iPhone doesn't support this spectrum.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #550
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
The iPhone doesn't support this spectrum.
Yes they do... Freedom is not an Apple dealer, but certain 5's and everything 5s and later is Freedom compatible (Band 4). No Freedom LTE (band 66) iPhones yet though.

http://www.spherethat.ca/blog/2015/1...nd-mobilicity/
Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #551
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

So those of you that have Freedom, is it really worth it? It would save me a ton of $$, but if the service is terrible, then why bother. I generally use my phone just in Calgary, with a few jaunts to Lethbridge to see the family, so is the coverage good?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #552
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
So those of you that have Freedom, is it really worth it? It would save me a ton of $$, but if the service is terrible, then why bother. I generally use my phone just in Calgary, with a few jaunts to Lethbridge to see the family, so is the coverage good?
You'll be roaming on the way to Lethbridge and in Lethbridge; so you'll need to pay for the higher priced plans that include roaming.
In Calgary, coverage is not bad. Just don't expect it to work in deep dark basements or 3 walls into a concrete building. Speeds will also be slower than what you currently have.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #553
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, have to say that unfortunately even with LTE, the concrete dead spots in downtown are still an issue, though I can now sometimes intermittently get a signal. Yay? lol..
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #554
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
You'll be roaming on the way to Lethbridge and in Lethbridge; so you'll need to pay for the higher priced plans that include roaming.
In Calgary, coverage is not bad. Just don't expect it to work in deep dark basements or 3 walls into a concrete building. Speeds will also be slower than what you currently have.
Ya I knew about the roaming, and that's fine...just wasn't sure what the in town quality would be like.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #555
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Yeah, have to say that unfortunately even with LTE, the concrete dead spots in downtown are still an issue, though I can now sometimes intermittently get a signal. Yay? lol..
That won't change until they get something other than the AWS/band 66 spectrum they are currently on. Which if the CRTC would get off their butts to get the 600 Mhz auction going, would make Wind incredibly good at that point.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #556
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
That won't change until they get something other than the AWS/band 66 spectrum they are currently on. Which if the CRTC would get off their butts to get the 600 Mhz auction going, would make Wind incredibly good at that point.
Thanks - well now I feel dumb, haha. For some reason I'd equated LTE to using a different band altogether. That makes sense though
Old 05-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #557
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With Wind/Freedom for about 4 years now, I have no issues with speed but I don't work deep in the center of a concrete building either. Sure it is a little slower if you were to speed test against a friend's phone but when loading web pages or streaming Spotify I have never taken issue.

As for the roaming charges, I find them quite low/fair. I left my phone on full roaming while I was in Golden/Banff for an 8-day ski trip and racked up a total of $17.50 in extra charges. (most of my texting done in the group was over WhatApp so appears as data rather than texts). I was still checking emails and playing games on my phone, the only thing I didn't do that I normally would be is streaming music or videos.

Away - Calling Min 4 $0.60
Away - Data MB 309.000 $15.45
Away - Texting Text 29 $1.45
Total $17.50

Other than that my base bill is $40 a month, I used to be paying $90+ with Rogers. So for me, it has been well worth it to switch.

not to mention the $15/month add-on if you were going to vacation (or regularly traveled for work) in the states, which costs about $5/day up to $50/month with the big 3.

Last edited by Swarly; 05-25-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #558
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Thanks - well now I feel dumb, haha. For some reason I'd equated LTE to using a different band altogether. That makes sense though
Wind LTE is Band 66, vs the current Band 4 they are using. All of which are on the high frequency range. (1700+)

You need the low frequency range <1000ish to penetrate buildings
Old 05-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #559
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What the CRTC needs to do is force the big 3 to give provide wholesale access to their wireless networks similar to how they are forced to give access to their wired networks.

That would create a whole new market with MVNO carriers, plus allow Wind and others to negotiate better pricing for their roaming plans, plus maybe even provide additional coverage within their home zones for a fee.

Teksavvy and others are offering some pretty incredible prices now for internet plans with great speeds and no bandwidth limits all because of the wholesale pricing. I believe the cost of buying GB/s worth of bandwidth has gone down substantially.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #560
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What the CRTC needs to do is force the big 3 to give provide wholesale access to their wireless networks similar to how they are forced to give access to their wired networks.

That would create a whole new market with MVNO carriers, plus allow Wind and others to negotiate better pricing for their roaming plans, plus maybe even provide additional coverage within their home zones for a fee.

Teksavvy and others are offering some pretty incredible prices now for internet plans with great speeds and no bandwidth limits all because of the wholesale pricing. I believe the cost of buying GB/s worth of bandwidth has gone down substantially.
I was speaking with someone recently who is with Nucleus (a grandfather of a Calgary tech company), and they essentially re-sell shaw internet at a substantial savings. Seemed interesting, though I don't think they offer the 150mb/s. Still, if all I wanted was decent internet, I'd likely go with them.