Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #4721
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the cycling thread has taken a strange turn...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #4722
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's somebody else's sister. Though, I guess the "My" in front of it doesn't lend itself to a less creepy interpretation.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #4723
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The bike counter the put on the River Walk has been fun to watch. Usually in the morning when I ride by there is more than twice as many bikes as pedestrians.

Today, with the rain, bike numbers were way down, and pedestrian numbers were way up. So I guess a lot of people living relatively close just ditch the bike and walk in during bad weather?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #4724
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

a little cool, but what a lovely morning out there today
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #4725
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going up the fox hollow climb this morning I got destroyed by a guy on a full suspension rig. Like he was going 40km/h up the hill. wtf.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #4726
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to be all about trying to set new PR's on Foxy climb, now I just enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-18-2017 at 08:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #4727
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Going up the fox hollow climb this morning I got destroyed by a guy on a full suspension rig. Like he was going 40km/h up the hill. wtf.
Ebike? or was he just pushing that hard up the hill? I've had a couple of people barely pedalling blow by me on nose creek pathway clearly with some assistance.

Today was much better for riding. Even with the headwind from the south at least it wasn't raining.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #4728
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I try to only worry about personal improvements and PRs. I'm too old and too slow to worry about how fast others are able to do segments.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #4729
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I found a nice hill in Queen's Park Cemetery on the commute home. I've never been through there before. Quiet.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11402292

It's called Climb to Heaven, although from the start on 4th St it is a descent. I only travelled the climb portion as I came from the West along the path through Confed Park.

It's actually a nice area to ride a bike.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #4730
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically my back yard! I ride through the cemetery and Confed every day, though I've never done that hill.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #4731
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought the wind was unusually calm this afternoon for the ride home.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #4732
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

These last couple of days have been just about perfect.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #4733
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

given it is casual Friday here I was albe to pack my bag in advance last night and when I went to bed my intention was to get up a little earlier, ride in and leave early.

when I woke up I felt blah, went downstairs and dozed on the couch for an extra 20 or so and had an easy cruise in - I will still likely leave early today though as I feel I need to be disciplined stick with at least one part of my plan
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #4734
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I'm like a biking turtle. Everyone passes me (except people on cruiser bikes, I own those people). I feel like I need a "baby on board" sign on my backpack just to make my anti-speed slightly more acceptable.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #4735
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crush those latte sipping cruiser bike riders Peanut. Crush em good.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #4736
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rode in West Bragg yesterday. Lots of mud lower down. Rode up Telephone, because it's quiet, then demi-tel, then long distance over to Merlin and finished on bragging rights. Long Distance, Merlin and especially Bragging rights all had mud. telephone, surprising enough, didn't have that much. Based on telephone, we figured the rest should be dry, and we were wrong. Some jackass was out there riding, and he was slow. Wouldn't let people pass. Had the bear bell under his seat, was yelling at every corner, and even had an air horn. We followed him for about a km, and then we came up to a climb where jackass stopped at the bottom because a guy was stopped at the top, so we took the opportunity to pass him. He then yelled at us for passing and that the other guy has the right of way. Uh, the people going uphill, which we were, have the right of way. Also, trail etiquette is to let people pass. I hate people who are trail hero's. Follow proper ettiquette, and everyone is happy.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #4737
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine that after the bikers and the horses are done in WBC the trails will be a mess for a month.

I rode in fish creek today, very dry, very fast.

I had a loaner bike from rm (a pipeline), while the shock in my thunderbolt is getting fixed.

Hopefully going to get out for a spin on my commuter with the wife later on today
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #4738
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah, it's unfortunate. The trail report got updated yesterday, but I didn't check it before we left which is my bad. I should have checked in the morning. I will go out and volunteer on a trail building/repair day. Some sections could probably use bridges like they do in Fernie. But still, it's up to us to be careful. Looks like they are shutting down the main parking lot starting today, so parking is pretty minimal out there now.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #4739
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this the spot to ask for some bike advice? I have always been a mountain bike guy. It with a little one it feels like time to get a chariot setup to take him out for family rides. I would like something that I can pull him riding around the city but also allow me to commute and go for the occasional longer ride. I looked at hybrids mostly but the sales guy thought a pure road bike would work as well.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #4740
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Is this the spot to ask for some bike advice? I have always been a mountain bike guy. It with a little one it feels like time to get a chariot setup to take him out for family rides. I would like something that I can pull him riding around the city but also allow me to commute and go for the occasional longer ride. I looked at hybrids mostly but the sales guy thought a pure road bike would work as well.
Thanks

Something light. My kids are 4/2 and 43/30 pounds plus the chariot. That's nearly 90 pounds I'm pulling when I've got both in there. Up a hill (like the one that goes up the side of Bridgeland to Renfrew) and you're done.

I took the kids out yesterday for what seemed like a short ride. My 4 year old did 4 km! So proud considering she mastered riding the pedal bike only two weeks ago.
Closed Thread