Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #6501
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Ah yes, you're right. Still though, what GM with his pedigree signs on to that Taylor Hall-led, old boys club mess without some bright light at the end of the tunnel? He got the job shortly after the Oilers won the McDavid lottery draft, you gotta think that was a hugely attractive perk to going there.
Most definitely McDavid was the major selling point although Chiarelli may have considered the job even without McDavid if he was offered full autonomy and the ability to hire/fire everyone including the Oilers alumni. Does McLellan go there without McDavid? Not sure as that group at the time looked coach killers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #6502
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep agreed. Winning the McDavid draft attracted Chia there, then the combo of a generational talent and a GM with enough rep that he won't just be a yes man to the old boys club helped secure the rest of the capable new hires. I think that team looks completely different right now on the ice, behind the bench and upstairs in the box if that lottery ball falls another way. Landing a player of that pedigree attracts talent
Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #6503
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Crosby's first three years in the NHL, he had to share the spotlight with Ovi. If you remember, Ovi was really pouring it on and seemed like he could be the better player with all those highlight reel goals, even scoring 65 goals in his 3rd year. Crosby came roaring back and was the better player for the next 5 or 6 years.

McDavid doesn't have an Ovechkin right now, so he's already in the spotlight on his own. He's the lone player of his caliber and so his contract will be totally unique. Laine, Mathews, Eichel, etc are not on the same level as McDavid.

There's no reason for the agent to ask for anything less than max term and max dollar. This kid is the best since Crosby and there won't be another one like him for at least 10+ years. It's not the players job to ask for less money so the club can be more competitive.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #6504
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does this look like the face of a man who will leave money on the table?

First class tickets out of the chuck are expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #6505
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

a G4 jet is only about 4 million bucks right now and a flight crew will cost you probably 300 k a year. At least he won't have to rent a hanger in Edmonton though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #6506
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Friedman was speculating this morning that Draisaitl was the 1A contract and he was looking for 7.5. McDavid is the 1 contract, and he wasn't looking for maximum term but probably 5 years and 11 to 12 million dollars, which could be a nightmare scenario for the Oilers.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #6507
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Friedman was speculating this morning that Draisaitl was the 1A contract and he was looking for 7.5. McDavid is the 1 contract, and he wasn't looking for maximum term but probably 5 years and 11 to 12 million dollars, which could be a nightmare scenario for the Oilers.
Makes sense for McDavid to ask for a contract term that gets him to UFA as fast as possible.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #6508
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oiler fans would lose their minds, which is reason enough to want to see it.

But if you think about it (as an Oiler fan, I mean), 5 years would suck on the surface, but it would mean a lower cap hit. Essentially it would shorten the window but open that window a little wider.

If you were an Oiler fan, would you accept that trade-off?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #6509
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

But if you think about it (as an Oiler fan, I mean), 5 years would suck on the surface, but it would mean a lower cap hit. Essentially it would shorten the window but open that window a little wider.

Not to mention things can change in 5 years (6 with the last year on this deal). He goes from 20 to 26, gets established in Edmonton and then chooses to stay.

Kind of like the Gaudreau contract at 6 years, I don't sweat it.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #6510
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Duhatschek was speculating something very similar the other night as well.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #6511
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not to mention things can change in 5 years (6 with the last year on this deal). He goes from 20 to 26, gets established in Edmonton and then chooses to stay.

Maybe he settles down with an Edmonton girl but otherwise not likely to happen. More than a few eastern based teams will be setting up their salary cap situations to offer him a max deal when he's UFA and I simply don't see the best player in the game choosing to play his entire career in Edmonton. If you were born in Calgary and drafted by say the Sabres would you spend your entire career there if you had 30 other options including some world class cities closer to home? Not likely.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-19-2017 at 09:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #6512
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

his agent is pretty saavy here. If this is true this is all about options and cashing in.

While there is a good chance that McDavid would get an offer sheet, if he pushes things to UFA and McDavid builds a resume, he'll probably get a cyclone bidding war when he hits UFA, he'll be able to effectively pick and choose and the 5 years will allow a lot of teams to clear their decks cap wise because getting a McDavid for next to nothing is just too hard to pass up.

Plus there's market seduction as well, McDavid can choose where he wants to play New York, Colorado, LA, Toronto Philly.

As well a lower year deal will allow them to know where the cap is going to be and what the next NHL/NHLPA landscape is going to be, he might be able to max out at 14 now I think, but in 5 years maybe its 16 or 17. Now Oiler fans will huff and say, with Connor its not about the money, its about his special relationship with Edmonton and its fan. But talk to any player and its a straight math equation. Short career x max dollars = cramming money away for the future. If he can go 5 years at 12 and then 7 at lets say 17 or 18 it makes sense to go short.

He's also able to give Edmonton a slight discount in exchange for less term and come out looking like the hero that Messier likes to bounce on his lap and hand feed chips too.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #6513
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

He will be a leaf in his first year of UFA eligibility
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #6514
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or he will go to Buffalo to make amends for that lottery
Old 05-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #6515
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, I think 5 years definitely falls into the 'sweat it' camp.

Six is arguable, because it really comes down to wanting the next contract to start at 27-29 (depending on the player).

But 5... 5 says 'yeah, you're going to have to convince me to stay'
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #6516
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
He will be a leaf in his first year of UFA eligibility
That's always a possibility but if Matthews is the real deal he's going to be a player fetching close to max salary and it would be difficult to make things work adding a max salary for McDavid and would Matthews accept being a 2nd line center? Rangers will be major players as always and having McDavid in NY would be great for the league.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #6517
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

By the time McDavid reaches UFA a bunch of different teams could be in far different positions in terms of their cap and where they are in a contending cycle. LA for instance.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #6518
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Six is arguable, because it really comes down to wanting the next contract to start at 27-29 (depending on the player).

I agree that 5 years is telling of a player that strictly wants to do his time and move on after.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #6519
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Hey Connor hey Connor its Mess

Quit calling me you creepy old man.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #6520
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:

Yup, the cap goes up 5-6 times along with maximum salary.

Why be stuck with the current maximum salary when you could get the higher maximum salary years down the road?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Closed Thread