Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #6481
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Out of curiosity, what were your predictions on the Monahan and Gaudreau contracts?
I thought the Tarasenko contract was the comparable for Gaudreau, so I thought he would get 7.5 million on an 8 year contract.

Monahan I thought would be around 6.5 million on an 8 year contract.

Neither of those guys have the leverage that Connor has though. I suspect the Oilers might be able to sign him to a 5 year deal for about 15.4 percent of the value of a 80 million dollar cap (same deal as Crosby's second) which would be around 12.2 million a year. I suspect if they want an 8 year deal it would have to be similar to the first 8 years of Crosby's third deal which would put Connor at 13.5.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #6482
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

regardless what he takes, oiler fans will say he took less to stay with a future dynasty who are on the cusp of multiple cups.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #6483
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Oilers know McDavid will get offer sheeted if he makes it to RFA, that's why they plan on extending him before that and publicly stated that McDavid is priority and Draisatl comes after.
Ya, and this type of talk leads me to believe that they've got something ready to sign with mcdavid and are waiting for July 1. If chiarelli can wrap these two contracts this summer without much fuss at under 20, it will be a major win.

If it's not ready to be signed though, and back channel talks have not yet begun, you have to wonder why he's talking like that. There are a lot of reasons why mcdavid may not want to sign until 2018. And you have to pay respect to your playoff MVP. Delicate line to walk. Better to just shut your mouth about priorities at this point, I would think.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #6484
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a very keen interest in organizational management and the Oilers improved dramatically when Chiarelli took over. I think he is the MVP in that organization at the moment.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #6485
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyboy2 View Post
I have a very keen interest in organizational management and the Oilers improved dramatically when Chiarelli took over. I think he is the MVP in that organization at the moment.
Hard not to improve. Impossible, actually. Still seems pretty meh to me. Not really good by any means. No good? Ya, that's what I mean to say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #6486
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Hard not to improve. Impossible, actually. Still seems pretty meh to me. Not really good by any means. No good? Ya, that's what I mean to say.
And I mean to say other things, I think he has the capacity to improve that team in ways that Oilers Management have failed to do for so many years.

I like your post though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #6487
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Oilers get him for 8yrs 100 million I'd say they did a good job. Anything less than that and Mcdavids agent is an idiot.

If I'm his agent I also don't offer a discount for RFA years. He is a top 3 player in the league right now and should be paid as such.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #6488
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If the Oilers get him for 8yrs 100 million I'd say they did a good job. Anything less than that and Mcdavids agent is an idiot.

If I'm his agent I also don't offer a discount for RFA years. He is a top 3 player in the league right now and should be paid as such.
It's incredible to me that that is possible! I think you're right on there, $100 million dollar man. I can see the headlines. Gross.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #6489
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Based on Crosbys second contract, McDavid should be in the 13-13.25 million AVG
Exactly, Crosby could have got a bit more in an offer sheet but not much. This idea that he took a big discount is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I'd like to see a 4 way comparison. Lowe, MacT, Chiapet and a potato.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #6490
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

$97 million 8 years book it
Then they need to sign dr d and cap hell commences
Just like the Blackhawks with their high paid 2 forwards
And unlike the Blackhawks they don't have a Norris winning defencemen signed for $5.5m per year

Last edited by The Hendog; 05-17-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #6491
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I thought the Tarasenko contract was the comparable for Gaudreau, so I thought he would get 7.5 million on an 8 year contract.

Monahan I thought would be around 6.5 million on an 8 year contract.

Neither of those guys have the leverage that Connor has though. I suspect the Oilers might be able to sign him to a 5 year deal for about 15.4 percent of the value of a 80 million dollar cap (same deal as Crosby's second) which would be around 12.2 million a year. I suspect if they want an 8 year deal it would have to be similar to the first 8 years of Crosby's third deal which would put Connor at 13.5.
That could be possible.

I think Draisaitl will get $7.5 and McDavid likely $12.5.

I've brought this up before, but top end players at the time of Crosby's contract were taking a higher percentage of the cap then they are now. I think McDavid will be the highest paid player in the NHL, but I don't think he goes way over the top of everyone else.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #6492
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, winning the lotto to get Mcdavid took skill . No way. Mcdavid drew the FAs and college signings in. Even MacT could have put this team together. Chiarelli was just lucky at the right time.

If Mcdiavid doesn't fall into their lap his job doesn't become so easy.

I don't think they would have traded Hall and Fa's would still be very weary to sign so readily.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #6493
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I think Draisaitl will get $7.5 and McDavid likely $12.5.
You're probably pretty close on both of those, I'm thinking 13M for McJesus. I've seen some oiler fans saying he'll take a big discount and sign for 10M, can't see that happening. RFA years mean nothing when half the league would offer sheet him at 14M x 5years if he wants to wait.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 PM   #6494
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Ya, winning the lotto to get Mcdavid took skill . No way. Mcdavid drew the FAs and college signings in. Even MacT could have put this team together. Chiarelli was just lucky at the right time.

If Mcdiavid doesn't fall into their lap his job doesn't become so easy.

I don't think they would have traded Hall and Fa's would still be very weary to sign so readily.
i agree with this...

Maybe Chia is decent; as someone else said, hard to be any worse than the previous management team.

I mean just look at McDavid's first year... doing respectable for the 45 games he was in... he gets injured and boom, Oilers are a lottery team... Again?! I mean that's just an awful organization. They finished worse than Calgary that had one of the worst goalie tandems in the NHL...

Maybe Draistl has developed to a point they'd be able to bail water if McDavid is out, but all you have to do is look at the % of goals that McDavid is a part of to realize he's is disproportionately driving that offense and consequently that team's success.

So far, it seems like Chia's claim to fame is joining a team with a generational talent on it...

i'll wait and see what happens with the cap issues looming before making any judgement on Chia
Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #6495
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is a chance that McDavid will remain unsigned long enough to sign an offer sheet. The max ask is interesting, however. There should be some pressure on him to start off with the max. If not him, then who in the league?

I do think he ends up around ~100 million for 8 years or so. Pricey, but pretty fair.

Draisaitl will be the more interesting number. I also like to think he ends up around 7.5, but depending on how long that contract ends up, it might be pushed into the 8.5 range. I would anticipate that the Oilers would want to lock-up their 1-2 punch for the full 8 years.

Either way, neither of those contracts will really hurt them. It does make things tighter, so they have to find a way to unload Eberle and RNH, and that Lucic contract will start becoming a real issue. Edmonton is probably the most intriguing team to follow with respect to contracts.

As have been mentioned, there really is some animosity towards Edmonton with respect to offer-sheets, and they are perceived as the team that eliminated those 2nd contracts. I just think that no player of note off their roster will remain unsigned long enough to become eligible to sign an offer sheet. I do think that other teams - especially within the division - will use that tactic to help drive up the pay-roll. 4 first overalls, generational player... pretty sure there will be some teams that not only want an ounce of flesh for how lucky the Oilers were, but also want to make sure they have a tougher time building a team. We already saw it a few years ago when San Jose signed Hjalmarsson to one for exactly that purpose.

I just can't think of anyone that the Oilers would leave exposed to that situation of note. Luckily, they have done enough of that with their own signings
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #6496
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think there is a chance that McDavid will remain unsigned long enough to sign an offer sheet. The max ask is interesting, however. There should be some pressure on him to start off with the max. If not him, then who in the league?

I do think he ends up around ~100 million for 8 years or so. Pricey, but pretty fair.

Draisaitl will be the more interesting number. I also like to think he ends up around 7.5, but depending on how long that contract ends up, it might be pushed into the 8.5 range. I would anticipate that the Oilers would want to lock-up their 1-2 punch for the full 8 years.

Either way, neither of those contracts will really hurt them. It does make things tighter, so they have to find a way to unload Eberle and RNH, and that Lucic contract will start becoming a real issue. Edmonton is probably the most intriguing team to follow with respect to contracts.

As have been mentioned, there really is some animosity towards Edmonton with respect to offer-sheets, and they are perceived as the team that eliminated those 2nd contracts. I just think that no player of note off their roster will remain unsigned long enough to become eligible to sign an offer sheet. I do think that other teams - especially within the division - will use that tactic to help drive up the pay-roll. 4 first overalls, generational player... pretty sure there will be some teams that not only want an ounce of flesh for how lucky the Oilers were, but also want to make sure they have a tougher time building a team. We already saw it a few years ago when San Jose signed Hjalmarsson to one for exactly that purpose.

I just can't think of anyone that the Oilers would leave exposed to that situation of note. Luckily, they have done enough of that with their own signings
I would say another potential offer sheet guy next summer if they do not get him done this summer is Nurse. I would offer him a potential 3 year deal and give up a 2nd round pick. 10.5 million over 3 years.

I do think there will be pressure on McDavid to sign for max dollars. Not sure if bobby orr cares, but there will be pressure.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:00 AM   #6497
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Orr should ask for a "show me" contract, as in show me you can build a team to make it worth it to live in that craphole for 7-8 months a year.

3 year contract:

$8.0
$11.0
$14.0

$11m cap hit = good for the oilers
$14m qualifying offer for last RFA year = good for Conner
Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #6498
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And he's not even there if not for McDavid I'm sure. If the Oilers didn't win that final lottery draft, does Chia really leave Boston for Edmonton? I highly doubt it. Even the new, more competent management is a result of the McDavid effect, fluking out in that draft lottery really changed everything for that organization. It's the only reason they're not still in the toilet right now.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #6499
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
And he's not even there if not for McDavid I'm sure. If the Oilers didn't win that final lottery draft, does Chia really leave Boston for Edmonton? I highly doubt it. Even the new, more competent management is a result of the McDavid effect, fluking out in that draft lottery really changed everything for that organization. It's the only reason they're not still in the toilet right now.
Chiarelli was fired by the Bruins so being unemployed it's possible he still may have interest in the Oilers as I can't recall at the time if there were other positions open.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #6500
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah yes, you're right. Still though, what GM with his pedigree signs on to that Taylor Hall-led, old boys club mess without some bright light at the end of the tunnel? He got the job shortly after the Oilers won the McDavid lottery draft, you gotta think that was a hugely attractive perk to going there.
Closed Thread