Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #21
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Are you suggesting a bridge deal worth $25 million? I sure hope not!
You're our new city engineer. If you can get a bridge done for 25 mil going over a river, consider yourself hired!

Bennett - 2 years @ 2.15m.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #22
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The title kept me out of this thread...since I thought it was "What will Sam Bennett get" in a trade. He should get 2 years at 1.95MM.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much any amount of term puts him in line to need an extension when another core player needs one.
1 year- Backlund
2 years- Tkachuk
3 years - Brodie
4 years- Hamilton
5 years- Gaudreau
6 years - Monahan

I don't see Bennett getting more than 3 years unless he takes a 6-7 year deal in the $4.5M per range which would be dumb on his part and risky on the Flames part (risk worth taking if Bennett wanted to do it)

At the end of the day I see a 2 year $5M deal for a AAV of $2.5M
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #24
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd like something similar to the Rakell deal (6x3.8m) but that's because I believe he'll turn into a solid 60 point guy. What he'll probably get is 3 x 2.5 ish.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #25
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Signing him to a bridge deal would be a wasted opportunity. We don't need cap space in the near term. We'll need it long term once backlund and Tkachuk cash in. They should be leveraging the slow start to his career to get him signed long term at a low cap hit. 8 years for 4.575 million would be perfect. It would be a win win for both sides. (2.2milx3) + (6milx5) = 36.6/8= 4.575mil How much more than 6 mil per year does Bennett actually think he'll be worth after his bridge deal? He gets long term certainty and doesn't leave much potential money on the table. If the Flames still believe in his potential, they get a stud signed long term at a great cap hit. If he doesn't quite pan out, 4.575 isn't horrible for a skilled player with gritt.
3rd Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #26
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really liked how he played in the playoffs; would like him signed to a 3 year deal if possible around the $2.5/year mark
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the late season improvement. I think this is a real opportunity to get him for term and price that will benefit the team. I think it could be more or less like the Backlund deal (only for somewhat lower salary) where it gets done before the big leap in performance.

Sure there's risk that he won't improve. But there's equal or more risk that a bridge deal costs the Flames either the player or money in two years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #28
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

It takes 2 to tango and i don't see Bennett or his agent wanting to do more than a 2 year bridge deal unless there are some real $'s attached to it. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up a one year deal.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #29
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a tricky one. I think if you get long term at a reasonable price, you do it. 6 years around $4 million?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #30
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I have to say is why couldn't the Flames can't tank properly get Draisaitl instead.
CSharp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #31
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I hope - or 7 years, 4M. I believe in Sam Bennett.

What I think he'll get? 3 years, 2.85M per - nearly identical to Galchenyuk's bridge.
$28 million dollar gamble? I know it's not our money but that's just insane. Bennett should get 2 years max at $2.5 million max. Even if he pans out he's likely only a $4.5-$5 million dollar player and that's likely not for 3-5 years. You're pretty much throwing away money if you make that deal.

And Bennett would likely not accept anything longer than a two year bridge contract.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
$28 million dollar gamble? I know it's not our money but that's just insane. Bennett should get 2 years max at $2.5 million max. Even if he pans out he's likely only a $4.5-$5 million dollar player and that's likely not for 3-5 years. You're pretty much throwing away money if you make that deal.

And Bennett would likely not accept anything longer than a two year bridge contract.
All it is going to take is a couple 60+ point seasons for Bennett to command $5-&6M coming out of his bridge deal. I don't see anyway he signs long term for anything less than $5M per which is why I see a bridge as the only way to go.

If he pans out he will be more than a $4.5-$5M player. Bennett panning out means he overtakes Monahan as our legit number 1 centre. This guy was the top rated skater by central scouting when drafted. His skill, speed and grit gave him a very high ceiling.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #33
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

3x3.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #34
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
All I have to say is why couldn't the Flames can't tank properly get Draisaitl instead.
If the Flames picked third in that draft I would have wanted Bennett then as well. I was ecstatic the Oilers took Draisaitl over Bennett. Obviously 3 years later Leon is the far better player but it is still early
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #35
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Overpay for length.

A Klefbom contract would be unreal. But even a 3.25M x 3 would be alright
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #36
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If the Flames picked third in that draft I would have wanted Bennett then as well. I was ecstatic the Oilers took Draisaitl over Bennett. Obviously 3 years later Leon is the far better player but it is still early
I am also still not convinced that he would be as good a fit with the Flames. At the time I worried about having the top two centres on the team with limited footspeed. Also, I do not believe that Draisaitl would have seen the same time on the wing in Calgary as he did in Edmonton, nor do I think he would have recorded a 70-point season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #37
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Draisatl already is one of the best passers in the league, has extremely good vision and high IQ.

He's better than Bennett and it's not even close. You can say it's still early but it's also still early for Draisatl and he can even get better.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Draisatl already is one of the best passers in the league, has extremely good vision and high IQ.

He's better than Bennett and it's not even close. You can say it's still early but it's also still early for Draisatl and he can even get better.
Yeah, I get that. But my point was that I don't think Draisatl would be as successful a player playing in Calgary as he is in Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #39
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Leon also isn't going to get a bridge deal - he's going to get a Johnny/Sean contract.

There are teams out there who took these gambles, and look like geniuses. If the team believes in Sam Bennett, then they should absolutely overpay in the short term to gain length on the cheap.

Those throwing around sub-2M contracts over 2 years, you're off by a million dollars. Go look around the league at comparable contracts. Also, from a cap-management standpoint, doing a 2 year bridge could lead to some cap-struggles in 2 years time when Tkachuk and Bennett will need extensions and we're still paying Brouwer and Frolik a combined 8.8M. At the minimum, you get 3 years to ensure the cap-crunch doesn't take place.

Also, comparing Draisaitl to Bennett doesn't make much sense at this stage. Draisaitl is a winger, and happens to play with the best centre in the league. Bennett is a centre, who got to play with Troy Brouwer. If you want to go down the path of undervaluing our players, go nuts - but try not to gush over a player who was gifted the best wing position in the league.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #40
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Leon also isn't going to get a bridge deal - he's going to get a Johnny/Sean contract.

There are teams out there who took these gambles, and look like geniuses. If the team believes in Sam Bennett, then they should absolutely overpay in the short term to gain length on the cheap.

Those throwing around sub-2M contracts over 2 years, you're off by a million dollars. Go look around the league at comparable contracts. Also, from a cap-management standpoint, doing a 2 year bridge could lead to some cap-struggles in 2 years time when Tkachuk and Bennett will need extensions and we're still paying Brouwer and Frolik a combined 8.8M. At the minimum, you get 3 years to ensure the cap-crunch doesn't take place.

Also, comparing Draisaitl to Bennett doesn't make much sense at this stage. Draisaitl is a winger, and happens to play with the best centre in the league. Bennett is a centre, who got to play with Troy Brouwer. If you want to go down the path of undervaluing our players, go nuts - but try not to gush over a player who was gifted the best wing position in the league.
The winger part is important. Obviously Leon had an unreal year but he hasn't taken his lumps at center yet. His numbers go off a cliff when he's not with McDavid. Be interesting to see how much of a leash he has when he's making 7 million and has some growing pains. I assume they'll put him at center next year.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote