Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #741
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I love them too, but a client who is a micro-biologist at U of C, told me they are very dangerous to eat.
No rare meat, F that S.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #742
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
No rare meat, F that S.
Yeah, putting rare meat on the same list as raw oysters discredits him a bit, I think. If it's not reconstituted from ground meat, and if the exterior of the meat is cooked/seared under hot enough heat, where would the germs/bacteria originate?

And there was a story the other day about the spread of brain invading parasites in Maui that enters into the human body through insufficiently washed produce.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-brain...cerned-in-maui
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #743
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I love them too, but a client who is a micro-biologist at U of C, told me they are very dangerous to eat.
Red tide isn't a laughing matter A couple that were friends of my mom went to an island in BC for New years one guy was a diver decided to go get oysters for supper that night went and got about 3 pounds of oysters. Next morning about twelve people were sick two almost died.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #744
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Parc was solid. I wonder if they saw Royale open up and thought they should go in a different direction as most of their restaurants are Italian (as was Borgo)

Avec is still very good.
Went to Royale on Saturday. Have to say the wrong one closed. The food was good, but service was awful. Comically bad. Waited a good 45 minutes for the main with no applogies from the wait staff, but he had a cool french accent. So I guess there is that.

Cassis and Avec are better bistro picks. La Chau for formal French.

Won't be going back.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #745
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Poke bowl from Vitality Tap Fifth Ave Place in front of me. I had meant to take a picture prior to diving in bu unfortunately I didn't. Here are my thoughts:

- A very small amount of fish. I'd say, 10 1 cm cubes. Fills about 1/12 of the bowl.

- I'd really call it a sashimi power bowl, the tuna lacks marinating (drizzling soy sauce on the completed bowl doesn't count)

- freshness is good, though the toppings are really more power bowl than poke.

- like most things at Vitality tap, portion size is small. Definately smaller than Kona Poke.

- overall I'd put Kona Poke ahead of this. I'll still go back, but I don't think it's go to status.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #746
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Had lunch at Tango Bistro on Macleod the other day. Fantastic place to eat, very surprised at the quality and price of the lunch menu.

Going back next week.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #747
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife and I tried out Po-Ke in Crescent Heights last week. It's a small establishment, but that's fine as it is mainly for food pick-up and there is not much sit-down capacity inside. Pretty expensive for what you get (compared to our last Po-Ke meal in Los Angeles) but their Po-Ke Special Bowl was pretty darn yummy. My wife got the Traditional Bowl and we found that one to be kind of bland. Customers can get a frequent purchase card and every seventh bowl is free, which makes the average price a little more attractive if you can go there that frequently. Their beverage selection was pretty unique but the bottled drinks turned out to be pretty pricey as well. The one thing I also liked was there was no prompt for tip when you pay by debit/credit, and there was no tip jar.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #748
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know of any restaurants that are similar to Wok Box, oodle noodle noodle, or the noodle box that are close to downtown/sunnyside?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #749
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone know of any restaurants that are similar to Wok Box, oodle noodle noodle, or the noodle box that are close to downtown/sunnyside?
There are lots of noodle options in Chinatown. And many of them offer take out. Just along 2nd Avenue on the east side of Centre St., there is Calgary Court, Golden Inn, Ho Won, and Great Taste.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #750
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
There are lots of noodle options in Chinatown. And many of them offer take out. Just along 2nd Avenue on the east side of Centre St., there is Calgary Court, Golden Inn, Ho Won, and Great Taste.
Those are just chinese places.

I am think things like Kung pao box, spicy peanut noodle box, etc..
Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #751
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
My wife and I tried out Po-Ke in Crescent Heights last week. It's a small establishment, but that's fine as it is mainly for food pick-up and there is not much sit-down capacity inside. Pretty expensive for what you get (compared to our last Po-Ke meal in Los Angeles) but their Po-Ke Special Bowl was pretty darn yummy. My wife got the Traditional Bowl and we found that one to be kind of bland. Customers can get a frequent purchase card and every seventh bowl is free, which makes the average price a little more attractive if you can go there that frequently. Their beverage selection was pretty unique but the bottled drinks turned out to be pretty pricey as well. The one thing I also liked was there was no prompt for tip when you pay by debit/credit, and there was no tip jar.
We went last weekend, I second the Po-Ke Special bowl being very tasty. My wife went with the Salmon bowl and really liked it also. We both got the large protein size and I was quite happy with the amount of fish in both. We also tried one of of those SPAM Musubi's. Different but tasty.

No shortage of folks coming in around 7pm and there was usually a line. Seems to be the place to be right now. One complaint, they need a recycling bin. Only had a trash bin on site.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #752
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Those are just chinese places.

I am think things like Kung pao box, spicy peanut noodle box, etc..
Isn't that what the whole Thai Express chain is like?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #753
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
They have awful food though. Wok box is ok. I enjoy The Noodle Box here in Calgary, but its way down south or in Airdrie. Oodle Noodle is a great chain, but its in Edmonton.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #754
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
They have awful food though. Wok box is ok. I enjoy The Noodle Box here in Calgary, but its way down south or in Airdrie. Oodle Noodle is a great chain, but its in Edmonton.
I miss Oodle Noodle so much from my time in Edmonton. Would love to find something similar in Calgary as well.

I think there is a Noodle Box opening soon in the condo building on 8th street and 15 ave SW
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uofaflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #755
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Anyone down with Poke? Two places just opened up:

Po-ke on Centre street and 9th avenue North http://po-ke.ca/

Kona Poke 520 5th Avenue SW (+15 level) https://www.konapoke.com/
They just put up signage for a third location at 929 10 ave. SW (or around there).. Ground level of the new apartment tower.

There is also signage for a new restaurant next door, on the corner of 10 ave and 9 st. SW called 'Donna Mac'. Nothing online yet.

I've walked 10 ave SW into downtown for a few years, nice to see it finally becoming developed.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #756
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find Noodle Box rather weak.

Cool concept but something is lacking.

Tried 3 different bowls and they all taste the same.
Something is lacking in authenticity of the flavour.

The place reminded me of when I took a SAIT cooking class for Vietnamese/Thai cuisine.
It was a one-night deal with all you can eat food that you help prepare and drinks included so that was cool, but the flavour and taste of most dishes was rather bland.

You could tell this was just a weak Western take on the ethnic food that is supposed to be rich in flavour.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #757
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to a place called Rice Bowl Deluxe in Edmonton last month and it was pretty awesome. Huge serving of protein with rice or noodle options. They had all sorts Asian dishes from Chinese to Korean to Japanese and Thai. I wish we had that here.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #758
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Thai Express is basically a crime against Thai food.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #759
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Thai Express is basically a crime against Thai food.
It's food court food. Their Pad Sew beats the hell out of anything you can get at A&W or Opa!
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #760
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess if you're after 1000 bland calories it beats the hell out of anything else. Jackie's Thai in Eau Claire is a food court place too, and it should fill any proprietor of a Thai Express with overwhelming shame.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business