Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #5441
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Based on the comments from all across North America on twitter last week, I'd say this opinion is in the very small minority. Be honest - it was a cool moment and if it had been in the Saddledome people here would have loved it. I get the rivalry and ribbing, but the complete inability of some people on this board to have any objectivity is amusing. Not surprising necessarily, but amusing.
you really care what people think
Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #5442
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
At least they didn't raise a banner before puck drop.
I was half expecting a 11 years without playoffs banner.

Wait... can we raise that at the dome on the Oilers behalf?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #5443
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some ratings from fanboy David Staples. Connor got a 3/10, Maroon, Russell, Gryba, and Nurse all got 2/10. Desharnais got a 1/10 and a note to file about a Chiapet "gamble that has failed to pay off". At the other end of the scale, the tenderness got a 7 and Talbot got an 8/10.

In case you wonder why Ryan Nothing Happens got a 7, it was because he actually didn't get onto the ice as McLellan used other players instead and was "fresh".

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 7. Did outstanding work on the penalty kill and was one of the few Oilers who seemed keen to take the puck and try to make a play. In the third period when a four-on-four situation developed, he was fresh and I expected to see him and Jordan Eberle out there, but Oilers coach Todd McLellan seemed to want to play it cautious. McLellan put out Drake Caggiula and Mark Letestu instead. I like Letestu fine, but not four-on-four where his lack of speed is an issue, and I also didn’t like the coach treating that moment as if the Oilers needed to kill off that time, instead of attack then

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...harks-and-lost

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #5444
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I have.. I was born and raised in Calgary and we have quite the socially diverse population as well.

If someone of lesser means manages to save enough money to get to experience playoff hockey, kudos to them and shame on anyone to comment about it..
There are certain things that are out of line. And that post was absolutely one of them.
When did all this high horse, self-righteous down-speak start?

People have been mocking oilers fans for what they wear and how they look for years on this forum. What changed now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #5445
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
What is the Canadian national? The CBC news??
Ha. National anthem. My bad
The Oilers invented the national anthem in 2006

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 04-13-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #5446
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The game last night was basically Talbot vs the entire San Jose Sharks roster with a few McDavid breakaways sprinkled in for good measure.

Clearly the Oilers were riding that excitement in the first period but you need more than some arena noise to beat the team that went to the cup finals last year. If it wasn't for Talbot that game would have been over by the start of the 3rd.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #5447
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because rivalries. And I just don't agree with a team doing that out of nowhere when you know your arch rival has a tradition of it. Just seems super corny and copycat to me, you don't have to agree.

I remember after 04, I was wondering if Edmonton would jack that C of Red idea in 06. But they didn't. And after your crowd anthem thing in 06 went viral across the continent, I was worried the Flames would try to do that in 07 playoffs. But they didn't. I remember feeling happy about both, it felt like a mutual subtle nod of respect between hated rivals to leave each of our cool playoff traditions alone and separate, I liked it. I distinctly remember thinking this.

Granted this is before the Katz years, I don't expect that guy to respect a single thing in his life.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #5448
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
When did all this high horse, self-righteous down-speak start?

People have been mocking oilers fans for what they wear and how they look for years on this forum. What changed now?
And why is IgiTang assuming someone who's ugly is from lesser means?
Shame on him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #5449
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is someone standing up to defend the honor of that classy lady that flipped two birds to a player in front of a national audience?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #5450
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
you really care what people think
Some days. Maybe a bit more sensitive after last night's let-down.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #5451
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you were to ask everyone in that arena last night how they feel about the NDP I bet a lot wouldn't have nice things to say.

Yet... They all got trolled into wearing orange AND referring to themselves as the Orange Crush which was the name given to the huge NDP election win in 2014.

No good.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #5452
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is someone standing up to defend the honor of that classy lady that flipped two birds to a player in front of a national audience?
Nah. She's on her own.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #5453
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
If you were to ask everyone in that arena last night how they feel about the NDP I bet a lot wouldn't have nice things to say.

Yet... They all got trolled into wearing orange AND referring to themselves as the Orange Crush which was the name given to the huge NDP election win in 2014.

No good.
Edmonton is traditional NDP stronghold, but your point still stands E=NG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #5454
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
NSFW for size and language...

NSFW!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #5455
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Nah. She's on her own.
It wasn't only her. There was also a guy in the corner that did it clear as day on camera. Not a very good look for the fans.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #5456
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

The anthem gave me chills only because I love allowing the crowd to sing and having him in the crowd was pretty neat.

As for everything else
- I am a country music fan and the american national anthem was a joke imo
- The orange crush knock off is priceless
- The canucks opera style start and then let the crowd sing at the same time was a knock off
- I read the intro music was a knock off

E=NG

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #5457
Flamescat
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

#orangecrushed
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #5458
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I spent most of the game wondering how like half of the people could afford their seats.
Winning lotteries, presumably.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #5459
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Concourse Roars, “McDavid in Five!” as Sharks lead Oilers 1-0 in Series

The atmosphere at Rogers Place was electric last night as a new generation of Oilers’ playoff fans packed the concourse for a mere $80.00 a head; a price even the skinflintiest Connor McDavid supporter could not argue with. Despite that the opposition overcame a two-goal deficit and went on to win in overtime, the McDavid faithful were undeterred in their belief that the Oilers' wunderkind would carry the team to the second round, and chants of, “McDavid in Five! The Dream is alive!™” were still being heard around the arena long after the game had ended. The same optimism was abundant at the Oilers’ head office as Stew MacDonald, Chief Commercial Officer, was absolutely gaga over finally having a little playoff revenue to spread around. “This is fantastic. This absolutely fantastic!” raved MacDonald. Not content with the revenue from a mere one game loss, before the night was out MacDonald had summoned his sales and marketing team for a brain-storming session on how to maximize the opportunity. As of press time “McDavid in Five! The Dream is Alive™” had been trademarked by the Oilers along with, “McDavid in Six, Pay More for our Tix!™” and, “McDavid in Seven! All thanks to Kevin!™” T-shirts bearing the slogans along with the Oilers and Sharks logos are now on sale wherever McDavid merchandise is sold; a solid $45.00 investment. At the next Oilers’ home game McDavid faithful can also look forward to Connor McNacho™ trays featuring exactly 97 chips and a collectable chip and cheese holder for $21.99; family size, 97oz Connor McCola™ collectable buckets for $59.99; premium Connor McParking™ within 970 feet of Rogers Place for $97.00; and, the ultimate accessory for the well-to-do, avant-garde McDavid superfan: a limited edition vial of Connor McStemcells™ for $979,797.97 straight from the Oilers’ First Pick Overall Development Lab (FPOD)™.

Last edited by ThisIsAnOutrage; 04-13-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Typo
The Following 100 Users Say Thank You to ThisIsAnOutrage For This Useful Post:
AC, Barnet Flame, BeltlineFan, Bezer, Bill Bumface, billybob123, Bobblehead, Bonecrushing Hits, Burninator, BurningYears, burn_baby_burn, burn_this_city, Cactus Jack, Calgary4LIfe, calgaryblood, Cali Panthers Fan, cam_wmh, CaptainCrunch, Cecil Terwilliger, Clarkey, CofR, crapshoot, CrazyCaper, CsInMyBlood, CubicleGeek, Delthefunky, Demaeon, dissentowner, drewtastic, EldrickOnIce, Erick Estrada, FacePaint, FFFLife, Fire in the disco, firebug, Five-hole, Flamescat, flamesforcup, FLAMESRULE, FlatLandFlamesFan, Galakanokis, HockeyPuck, IamNotKenKing, IliketoPuck, Insufficient Funds, jammies, jayswin, Jbo, Jiggy_12, Joborule, jschick88, justing, kbvall, KipperRules, kkaleR, Knut, Lanny'sDaMan, Mazrim, Mightyfire89, mikephoen, MissTeeks, MolsonInBothHands, Mony, nickerjones, Peanut, Plaedo, PostandIn, psyang, PsYcNeT, Puppet Guy, redflamesfan08, REDVAN, Reggie Dunlop, Rhettzky, Robbob, Roof-Daddy, Rubber Ducky, saXon, Scornfire, shogged, slybomb, Split98, Steve Bozek, sun, Tbull8, The Big Chill, The Yen Man, the2bears, TheCommodoreAfro, timbit, Toonage, topfiverecords, Traditional_Ale, Travis Munroe, trublmaker, TurdFerguson, tvp2003, undercoverbrother, ZedMan, Zulu29
Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #5460
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bahahaha

Absolutely fantastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread