Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #4741
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
What facts did I get wrong, honest question? I said Calgary has second least man games lost this year. Stated they have 3 games in a row of back to back second games and my kipper comment which was a subjective statement based on my experience living in Calgary listening to 960 and watching the odd flames game on tv. if you can find a post that shows fans complaining about kipper usage from those years I'll admit I was wrong but that's probably not worth anyone's time to fish up anyways.

Also not sure where I proceeded to put anyone down... except maybe my wife's legs post edmonton move
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #4742
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

please don't feed the troll
Old 03-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #4743
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Prior to tonight's game, Edmonton will have an 7 game advantage on Calgary , regarding playing tired teams on the end of back to back games.

Back to the drawing board Elmer.
Where did I say the oilers didn't have more? Question if edmonton wins more than calgary in these three games against the kings ducks sharks what will the next excuse be?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #4744
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Last edited by SportsJunky; 03-29-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #4745
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a matter of fact, people here on CP regularly complained for years about Kiprusoff being overused.

Your trouble, in any case, is about the facts that you don't acknowledge. When anybody brings up (for instance) the fact that the Oilers have had a tremendously easy schedule, or that one player is in on 40% of their goals, you mutter ‘echo chamber’ and dismiss it from your mind. Any data that interfere with your mental narrative about the Oilers' new-found greatness simply do not impinge upon your mind; and in the absence of those data, you conclude that anyone who does not agree with that narrative is being closed-minded and wilfully stupid. It won't wash.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #4746
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I say the oilers didn't have more? Question if edmonton wins more than calgary in these three games against the kings ducks sharks what will the next excuse be?
No excuses from me Elmer.

You and your buddies have covered the gamut over the last decade.

None left.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #4747
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
No excuses from me Elmer.

You and your buddies have covered the gamut over the last decade.

None left.
But I haven't posted here for 11 years so how could I have made excuses?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #4748
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But I haven't posted here for 11 years so how could I have made excuses?
Sorry....you have no buddies?

Poor bastard.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #4749
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question if edmonton wins more than calgary in these three games against the kings ducks sharks what will the next excuse be?
Nobody's making excuses. Our team crapped the bed early in the season, and handed your team eight free points. That's the only reason we're behind you in the standings. We regret it, but we own up to it.

As for your question – ‘IF Edmonton wins more than Calgary’ – I advise you not to count your chickens before they hatch. The Flames are 2-1 against the Sharks, 1-2 against the Ducks, 2-0 against the Kings. The Oilers are 1-1-1 against the Sharks, 2-2 against the Ducks, 3-1 against the Kings. There's no particular reason to expect the Flames to do worse than the Oilers against the California teams. And if they do, there's no particular reason why you should expect anyone to make excuses for it.

Contrast this with the behaviour of a vocal segment of Oiler fans, who cannot give the Flames credit for winning any game whatsoever. Every time it happens, we hear the same cry that $TEAM lay down for the Flames, but the Oilers had to play them in a fair contest. Hearing this over and over, you would think the other 28 NHL franchises were a charity set up for the purpose of giving free points to Calgary.

Last edited by Jay Random; 03-29-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #4750
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
As a matter of fact, people here on CP regularly complained for years about Kiprusoff being overused.

Your trouble, in any case, is about the facts that you don't acknowledge. When anybody brings up (for instance) the fact that the Oilers have had a tremendously easy schedule, or that one player is in on 40% of their goals, you mutter ‘echo chamber’ and dismiss it from your mind. Any data that interfere with your mental narrative about the Oilers' new-found greatness simply do not impinge upon your mind; and in the absence of those data, you conclude that anyone who does not agree with that narrative is being closed-minded and wilfully stupid. It won't wash.
So your saying there isn't an inherent bias against the oilers on the flames message board? That's what my echo chamber comment is addressing

I never said that Connor doesn't make a huge difference. If we didn't have him we'd probably still be struggling for a playoff spot. However we do have him, I'm not going to apologize for that.

I remember 2 years back when the flames beat the Canucks, my flames friends were rubbing it in that we were still so terrible. I stated then that 2 years from now we are going to have the greatest player since Crosby and you all will bitch that we sucked for 10 years and didn't deserve him... and I'm at peace with that.

Again I'll restate I would love for a BoA but even if the flames lose this board will still continue to say edmonton is no good... And I find that incredibly amusing.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #4751
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody's making excuses. Our team crapped the bed early in the season, and handed your team eight free points. That's the only reason we're behind you in the standings. We regret it, but we own up to it.

As for your question – ‘IF Edmonton wins more than Calgary’ – I advise you not to count your chickens before they hatch. The Flames are 2-1 against the Sharks, 1-2 against the Ducks, 2-0 against the Kings. The Oilers are 1-1-1 against the Sharks, 2-2 against the Ducks, 3-1 against the Kings. There's no particular reason to expect the Flames to do worse than the Oilers against the California teams. And if they do, there's no particular reason why you should expect anyone to make excuses for it.

Contrast this with the behaviour of a vocal segment of Oiler fans, who cannot give the Flames credit for winning any game whatsoever. Every time it happens, we hear the same cry that $TEAM lay down for the Flames, but the Oilers had to play them in a fair contest. Hearing this over and over, you would think the other 28 NHL franchises were a charity set up for the purpose of giving free points to Calgary.
Too funny. Other than the shoot out win what games did you reasonably hand to us.. I think your last paragraph wraps up this whole back and forth... swap the team names and that summarizes everything this thread has been about this season

Last edited by Elmer; 03-29-2017 at 07:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #4752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #4753
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Too funny. Other than the shoot out win what games did you reasonably hand to us..
The first two meetings of the season, when we were on our way to a 5-10-1 start. Again, facts not in your possession because they don't fit your narrative.

Quote:
I think your last paragraph wraps up this whole back and forth... swap the team names and that summarizes everything this thread has been about this season
No. Fact not in your possession: In every Around The League report by Gaskal for some time now, he has been quoting Oiler fans saying that the Flames only won the game because their opponent lay down for them. Basically, these Oiler fans are saying that the Flames only ever win games because their opponents throw the game. You can check any post-game thread after a Flames win and look for the ATL Report.

Now, kindly show me where you find the equivalent from Flames fans after the Oilers win.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #4754
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The first two meetings of the season, when we were on our way to a 5-10-1 start. Again, facts not in your possession because they don't fit your narrative.

No. Fact not in your possession: In every Around The League report by Gaskal for some time now, he has been quoting Oiler fans saying that the Flames only won the game because their opponent lay down for them. Basically, these Oiler fans are saying that the Flames only ever win games because their opponents throw the game. You can check any post-game thread after a Flames win and look for the ATL Report.

Now, kindly show me where you find the equivalent from Flames fans after the Oilers win.
So becauae you guys sucked in October the oilers didn't earn those wins.

This entire thread every time the oilers win there is some excuse about how they had an advantage. I could go through and pull out some good ones but I'm sure you'd just ignore them anyways.

Using a calgary puck message board for "facts" about how oilers fans are terrible is like watching cnn to get your facts about trump.

I completely agree with your last paragraph that I mentioned previously I'm just saying it goes both ways.

Since moving to Edmonton I've noticed that oilers fans here rarely talk about the flames up here, other than during the 9 game streak and after the last win when we we 9 points up... Compared to how often Flames fans talk about the Oilers in Calgary but that is just from my experience and being an Oilers fan in Calgary I probably got a fair bit more trash talking directed towards me than average.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #4755
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Doesn't really help that NJ is flat out garbage. Every time they touched the puck in OT they passed it back to an Oiler. For the second game in a row from them playing the Oilers, it was an embarrassing display.
Sorry to bring old fart into this... but just picked random page and here you go
Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #4756
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

This entire thread every time the oilers win there is some excuse about how they had an advantage. I could go through and pull out some good ones but I'm sure you'd just ignore them anyways.

Using a calgary puck message board for "facts" about how oilers fans are terrible is like watching cnn to get your facts about trump.

I completely agree with your last paragraph that I mentioned previously I'm just saying it goes both ways.

Since moving to Edmonton I've noticed that oilers fans here rarely talk about the flames up here, other than during the 9 game streak and after the last win when we we 9 points up... Compared to how often Flames fans talk about the Oilers in Calgary but that is just from my experience and being an Oilers fan in Calgary I probably got a fair bit more trash talking directed towards me than average.

Hold on, hold on, hold on.

You're an Oilers fan and a Trump supporter?

I'm curious. Do you have a lucky pair of sweatpants you wear to Oiler games? Or do you just wear the same mustard stained pair you wear to work everyday?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #4757
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Hold on, hold on, hold on.

You're an Oilers fan and a Trump supporter?

I'm curious. Do you have a lucky pair of sweatpants you wear to Oiler games? Or do you just wear the same mustard stained pair you wear to work everyday?
2nd sweat pant joke... you guys are on fire tonight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #4758
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, because we sucked in October we lost. If we had split our season series with the Oilers, we'd be ahead of them right now. Are you really having trouble following this?

Quote:
Sorry, old sport, you're the expert

Quote:
Well, most of the ATL Report is taken from hfboards, which is the very furthest thing from a Calgary message board.

Quote:
For some reason, we have a lot of Oiler fans around here – both on CalgaryPuck and in the city as a whole. You haven't experienced annoyance until the 10,000th time some nitwit reminds you that the Oilers won five Cups in the last century, and thinks it clinches any argument about where the two teams are at now.

We don't care that much when Oiler fans don't talk about the Flames. It's that when they do, they're usually spewing ignorant garbage.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #4759
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Anyone CP old timers remember "Edjamacated Fan?" Good times. Good times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #4760
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
So your saying there isn't an inherent bias against the oilers on the flames message board? That's what my echo chamber comment is addressing

I never said that Connor doesn't make a huge difference. If we didn't have him we'd probably still be struggling for a playoff spot. However we do have him, I'm not going to apologize for that.

I remember 2 years back when the flames beat the Canucks, my flames friends were rubbing it in that we were still so terrible. I stated then that 2 years from now we are going to have the greatest player since Crosby and you all will bitch that we sucked for 10 years and didn't deserve him... and I'm at peace with that.

Again I'll restate I would love for a BoA but even if the flames lose this board will still continue to say edmonton is no good... And I find that incredibly amusing.