Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #41
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Why wouldn't someone there just get it from Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, or Washington? AKA the states that have it legal for recreational use.
I was thinking more about possession while crossing the border. Someone is going down for a day trip and forgets they have it on them and are now facing federal charges in the US. Also, does the US tighten up border security now.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which they absolutely should get rid of. Stupid law.
Couldnt agree more.

The real crime is that I cant sit in a public park in the summer and responsibly enjoy a glass of wine or a cold beer. Or that I cant have a beer while I walk my dog around the neighbourhood without hiding it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As someone who isn't a pot smoker but is excited at the legalization I have some random questions

-How will the infrastructure work? Their own stores like booze or sold over counter at connivence stores like cigarettes?

-Mid 30s.. someone educate me on edibles. Besides the homemade pot brownies I've never had an edible pot product before. The potency of some seem rather alarming. Suppose that shouldn't matter as booze as various levels of alcohol content but still. Ignorance here.

-With Fuzz on drinking in public and how that fits with pot. Public intoxication and having a few beers/smoking a joint are two very different things. As long as pot users are respectful of their surroundings I hope it's allowed outside the home. Certainly they can't be less respectful then cigarette smokers. The bar is low.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #44
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Irresponsible Edible Consumption is what you want to try if you ever really want to experience how easy it is to get to the point where you'd welcome the sweet release of death if it meant the ride would stop.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #45
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Sure , in theory... but only in theory. I mean, I don't know anyone producing moonshine despite the fact that we tax the #### out of alcohol.

Homebrewing would be a better analogy, as it is legal (whereas distillation at home is not).

And there are LOTS of people brewing beer at home.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #46
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Interesting. I'm not sure any significant level of intoxication can happen from second hand smoke unless in a purposely contained space (hot box).
Agreed. Unless you are in a car with the windows up, or maybe sharing time in a port-a-potty with someone who is smoking a joint, you don't get high just being around burning marijuana. I'm kind of surprised this is an actual concern of some people.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #47
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The only qualm I have with this is impaired driving. With alcohol, if your BAL is over a certain point, you are impaired according to the law. With weed, you can have the substance in your blood well after you've consumed it, and you are no where near impaired.

I'm not sure how they will police impaired (high) driving.
A company in the U.S. is developing a roadside breathalyzer for pot. It's not clear how cost-effective or accurate it will be, but there are people working on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Pretty sure the people who will smoke weed and drive are already smoking and driving. Don't hear much about their being a problem with stoned drivers today.
There seems to be an assumption that legalizing pot will mean more people will smoke it. Is there any evidence from the Netherlands or Colorado that that's the case?

On the other hand, last week I was stopped beside a car where a couple were hitting the pipe hard - clouds of smoke billowing out their window at the lights. They were so blatant that it has me wondering if a great many do think that just because it'll soon be legal they'll be able to do it anywhere and any time. Which is just dumb, because alcohol is legal and you can't get hammered and show up to work, or chug a beer while you're stopped at a traffic light. But people are idiots, so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I guess I can stand beside my cigarette smoking friends without any ill-effects?
Actually, yes. The dosage makes the poison, and the amount of toxins you would ingest from standing beside someone outside who is smoking are negligible. But there's a kind of public hysteria around second-hand smoke, where evidence and science are unwelcome.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #48
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Irresponsible Edible Consumption is what you want to try if you ever really want to experience how easy it is to get to the point where you'd welcome the sweet release of death if it meant the ride would stop.
Officials in Colorado say that's been the biggest problem with legalization - people eating pot brownies and getting whacked out of their minds three hours later with no plans for getting home, etc.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I was thinking more about possession while crossing the border. Someone is going down for a day trip and forgets they have it on them and are now facing federal charges in the US. Also, does the US tighten up border security now.
I dont know how much more they can tighten their border security without becoming a police state at this point, but further, why not just buy the weed when you get there?

Its like the Mexican border authorities asking you if you're bringing any drugs with you into Mexico.

"Of course not officer! Mexico is where I get my drugs!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #50
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Agreed. Unless you are in a car with the windows up, or maybe sharing time in a port-a-potty with someone who is smoking a joint, you don't get high just being around burning marijuana. I'm kind of surprised this is an actual concern of some people.
Someone's got to think about the children.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #51
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Someone's got to think about the children.
Not me. The little bastards are on their own!

Life is a cruel and unfair mistress.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #52
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
As someone who isn't a pot smoker but is excited at the legalization I have some random questions

-How will the infrastructure work? Their own stores like booze or sold over counter at connivence stores like cigarettes?
Places I've been where it's legal, part of the law is they have to remain separate. You can't sell it where you sell alcohol, and it' only available in the stores, not at other retail outlets (like gas stations).

Quote:
-Mid 30s.. someone educate me on edibles. Besides the homemade pot brownies I've never had an edible pot product before. The potency of some seem rather alarming. Suppose that shouldn't matter as booze as various levels of alcohol content but still. Ignorance here.
Potency of edibles is usually pretty high. I had an infused iced tea here in Van the other day (which was delicious). Guy said to drink 1/2 and then the rest if you didn't feel anything. As a pretty regular user I drank the whole thing and had a pretty good high for a few hours. Thats the thing with edibles, it usually lasts a lot longer.

But this is why legalization is great, because you will be able to go to a store, inquire about their products, ask about dosage, and inform them of your experience with the product (or lack thereof) and they can make suggestions for you.

Quote:
-With Fuzz on drinking in public and how that fits with pot. Public intoxication and having a few beers/smoking a joint are two very different things. As long as pot users are respectful of their surroundings I hope it's allowed outside the home. Certainly they can't be less respectful then cigarette smokers. The bar is low.
My guess is there won't be public use allowed, not unlike drinking. That doesn't mean people won't, but they'll try to be discreet about it, which is probably the best way to make sure it's respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
There seems to be an assumption that legalizing pot will mean more people will smoke it. Is there any evidence from the Netherlands or Colorado that that's the case?
I believe most evidence shows what is to be expected. An initial small spike in usage (people who have never tried before due to the legality of it, probably will try it. And some may become habitual users). But the use levels off back to normal pretty quickly IIRC. The thing is, anyone who wants to smoke it probably is already. Especially in places on the verge of legalization. They are legalizing because the use is so wide-spread that there's no point in fighting it.

Quote:
On the other hand, last week I was stopped beside a car where a couple were hitting the pipe hard - clouds of smoke billowing out their window at the lights. They were so blatant that it has me wondering if a great many do think that just because it'll soon be legal they'll be able to do it anywhere and any time. Which is just dumb, because alcohol is legal and you can't get hammered and show up to work, or chug a beer while you're stopped at a traffic light. But people are idiots, so who knows.
Well, it's not legal yet and those people are doing it. As Polak mentioned, anyone who is going to smoke and drive is probably doing so already. Alcohol is legal, and legally (and socially) you can't show up to work drunk, or drive drunk, but people do. These are the trade offs of living in free nations. Idiots will do idiot things.

Quote:
Actually, yes. The dosage makes the poison, and the amount of toxins you would ingest from standing beside someone outside who is smoking are negligible. But there's a kind of public hysteria around second-hand smoke, where evidence and science are unwelcome.
Yeah I don't doubt that, but most second hand smoke issues arose from being in contained spaces with smokers (restaurants, homes, etc..) by which I think there is a much higher ingestion rate, no different than there is with weed in a contained space. That said, there are many toxins in cigarettes that aren't present in marijuana. These are kind of two different scenarios (contact high vs ill effects of secondhand smoke). There are much more alarming health issues revolving around inhaling cigarette smoke than weed smoke (although, of course, inhaling any smoke is bad).
Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #53
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Let's start this post by stating that I hang out with some very conservative (religious and non-religious individuals). I also agree with your point.

My experience with them is that if some of my other friends want to start up a bong on a balcony, they now migrate away from that door or window as they have previously complained of sudden lightheaded feelings or headaches. (We're talking people on a balcony for something like 5-10 minutes max.)

Now a passing whiff isn't going to do anything, but if you're in an area down wind of a large enough group blazing up and you're there long enough, I could see someone possibly getting "accidentally stoned" if they don't know where to flee. This would probably be only in rare cases where someone's tolerance for marijuana would be so low that airborne smoke could create an effect.

Now, I don't really care to much if people smoke in public. I can perhaps understand if my reasoning is completely wrong and you guys are free to scoff at it. But my understanding is that in places where pot is legalized in the USA, public consumption or consumption in a public indoor location is not allowed. I am assuming we would follow those rules if marijuana is legalize. This likely would be a hybrid of the cigarette and alcohol rule. And this is the point I'm really trying to mention.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-27-2017 at 12:43 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #54
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Depends what you mean by "tax the crap out of it". We pretty much tax the crap out of cigarettes and to a lesser extent alcohol, but there aren't any underground speakeasies unknown to and unregulated by the AGLC springing up. Even if you double liquor taxes I doubt you'd see that happen, either.
Actually, the government walked back cigarette taxes in the late 90s because high prices had fostered a huge black market in cigarettes. Shipments would come through Mohawk land and be distributed across the country. And extremely high taxes on alcohol in Scandinavia have led to a lot of people homebrewing spirits. Many Swedes also cross the border to Denmark or Germany to stock up on cheaper booze.

There's also a point at which you hurt local producers. I like craft beer. But as prices have risen steeply in the last few years, I've been cutting back on the $15 six-packs and going with the cheaper Coors Banquet option more often. Taxes won't price people out of drinking, but they can shape buying habits in ways that hurt the local economy.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that there's going to be an absolute shock to the more hardcore group of smokers or consumers that believe that legalization will mean that they can buy from anyone, grow massive crops, smoke it anywhere at anytime.

If/when this does get legalized its going to be pretty strictly regulated.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #56
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that there's going to be an absolute shock to the more hardcore group of smokers or consumers that believe that legalization will mean that they can buy from anyone, grow massive crops, smoke it anywhere at anytime.

What leads you to believe people are that ignorant?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #57
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

As someone who hangs out with quite a few smokers I feel like I can say pretty confidently that very few, if any people, think this is the case.

But it also depends on what you mean by your list of shocking revalations.

1) Buy from anyone? No. But can I buy a bud off my friend because I don't feel like travelling to the store, no different than bumming a cigarette or a beer off your friend? Yes.

2) Grow massive crops? No. But I do think I should be able to have a plant or two if I want, no different than people making their own beer/wine. However, this is probably where the hardest line will be drawn. I would think only medical users could do that. (That said, is someone really going to bust you for growing a plant in your house?). And only a special few people will actually want to make the time it takes to properly care for the plants. These are potheads we're talking about. Too lazy to cook their own food, but will take meticulous care of a plant? No.

3) Smoke it anywhere anytime? No. I shouldn't be able to light up indoors if it's not my house. I don't want cigarette smokers doing that. I don't even want vapes doing that. And if they can, can I vape weed inside? But walking my dog through a park? Yeah, I should be able to do that as long as I'm being respectful and keeping my distance from other people.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #58
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Let's start this post by stating that I hang out with some very conservative (religious and non-religious individuals). I also agree with your point.

My experience with them is that if some of my other friends want to start up a bong on a balcony, they now migrate away from that door or window as they have previously complained of sudden lightheaded feelings or headaches. (We're talking people on a balcony for something like 5-10 minutes max.)

Now a passing whiff isn't going to do anything, but if you're in an area down wind of a large enough group blazing up and you're there long enough, I could see someone possibly getting "accidentally stoned" if they don't know where to flee. This would probably be only in rare cases where someone's tolerance for marijuana would be so low that airborne smoke could create an effect.

Now, I don't really care to much if people smoke in public. I can perhaps understand if my reasoning is completely wrong and you guys are free to scoff at it. But my understanding is that in places where pot is legalized in the USA, public consumption or consumption in a public indoor location is not allowed. I am assuming we would follow those rules if marijuana is legalize. This likely would be a hybrid of the cigarette and alcohol rule. And this is the point I'm really trying to mention.
Sounds like you go to some pretty eclectic parties!

Marijuana smoke smells terrible to me so I try to avoid it. I guess my only point is that getting "second-hand stoned" shouldn't be part of the discussion because it's so easily avoided. You can just walk away. Or not hang out with people who drive a Nova.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The legalization date of July 1, 2018 makes all kinds of sense, actually. If the government gets the bill passed in the spring session, it gives the provinces one year to get their regulatory structures in place.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #60
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So the new law will allow 4 plants per household to be grown. As someone who has smoked pot 3 times in my 30+ years, isn't it true that the plants themselves smell. Are we going to have neighbourhoods filled with pot plants growing in backyards giving off that scent? I happen to like the smell of pot but know many, probably most people do not.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote