Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Enmax Bills

So my last two bills have been outrageous (all services billed through Enmax). Obviously it's been colder this winter, and I would have been using more Natural Gas, but I haven't had bills like these in the 7 years of being a home owner in the same property. Has there been some sort of increase in user fees or something i'm not aware of? Carbon Tax is in effect so that would be some of the difference, but i'm talking $150 more than previous largest bills i've ever received

Anyone else experiencing this? I know i've asked a friend you lived close to me and he has said he's experiencing the same thing.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Compare the last few bills together and see where the outage is? It's kind of hard to say if it's outrageous or not if you don't know where the change came from.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Compare the last few bills together and see where the outage is? It's kind of hard to say if it's outrageous or not if you don't know where the change came from.
I just did. Seems the floating gas rate when up quite a bit, as well as significantly larger distribution fees.

Also using more water, which confuses me as there are only two of us in the house and I wouldn't expect our water use to change much month over month.

The biggest cost is the gas rate and the distribution fees though.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good old fees, man they sure ding you for those.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Good old fees, man they sure ding you for those.
$50 dollars of it is increase in fees alone over prior month.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine have been surprisingly reasonable actually. Keep forgetting to look since they started auto charging credit cards but that past 2 bills have only been slightly higher than what I would call average.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
$50 dollars of it is increase in fees alone over prior month.
It costs a lot to administer the Carbon Tax.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mine was actually high enough this time for that first time in 7 years I actually turned the temperature down from 20 to 16 as I left the house this morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I don't understand and need to call them. A bunch of the "fixed" fees on the gas side almost doubled between November and December. I used a lot more gas than usual becuase one of us was home almost very day, but it doesn't make sense that the fixed fee should have increased as well. Isn't that why they are fixed and not variable?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's time to do a home efficiency audit?

I believe someone told me they saw an improvement to their heating bill after cleaning out ducts. The home had not had a duct cleaning in about a decade though.

Water usage up is a mystery... perhaps you bought a sous vide like the rest of us and started boiling more food on a regular basis?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My bill went from $290 in November to almost $550 this month. Pretty blown away given my electricity is on the fixed rate.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
My bill went from $290 in November to almost $550 this month. Pretty blown away given my electricity is on the fixed rate.
mine went from $280 to $580.

Mostly driven by natural gas usage. January was waaaaaaay colder than normal, which pushed it up quite a bit.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
mine went from $280 to $580.

Mostly driven by natural gas usage. January was waaaaaaay colder than normal, which pushed it up quite a bit.
Can you compare the "fixed" fees? My gas usage went up a lot, but so did all the fixed charges. Wondering if this is a new normal?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mine always goes up at least $150 in January and February.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can you compare the "fixed" fees? My gas usage went up a lot, but so did all the fixed charges. Wondering if this is a new normal?
I can already see an impending addition to your signature...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #16
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We were surprised with our bill last month as well! We realized that Enmax didn't "include" our natural gas bill in December to our January bill.We called them and the only thing that said was they are "sorry"! So maybe try to compare to see if they actually billed you your December's gas bill to your most recent bill? Hope that helps.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The fixed fees are the thing that has me really confused as well. They basically doubled in a lot of instances.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed a jump too. My townhome went from about $200 ish to about $300 ish total utilities with natural gas portion nearly doubling from $70 to about $130. Actual usage was 3.93 to 8.98 GJ spike. Electric usage went from 344 to 578 kWh and at a fixed rate cost increased from $60 ish to $80 ish which looks reasonable.

My friend mentioned his utilities spiked like crazy for the recent months. I was looking at my numbers a few weeks back and just attributed it to the cold snap. I looked at my utilities bills from 12 months ago and noticed a similar spike at the same time period. Percentage wise, it was a similar jump.

As for the fixed fee, could it be a rate change from 2016 to 2017?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #19
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ok, I actually looked at my last 2 bills. The difference between mine stems from electricity (they didn't bill me for electricity in December - they must only read the meter every 2 months?) and my NG usage went from 11GJ to 33GJ. The ATCO variable fee went up 3x (makes sense, as my usage went up 3x), but my other fixed fees were all within 5% of the previous bill.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #20
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
We were surprised with our bill last month as well! We realized that Enmax didn't "include" our natural gas bill in December to our January bill.We called them and the only thing that said was they are "sorry"! So maybe try to compare to see if they actually billed you your December's gas bill to your most recent bill? Hope that helps.
Billing is up to date this time, though I did have what happened to you occur to me when I first moved into the house a long time ago. They didn't bill me for Hydro or Gas (can't remember which) for like 7 months and being new to the home owners game I never looked at my bills and just assumed they were correct. Out of nowhere I got a bill for like $1,300 bucks. It made my super happy as I was still a articling at a firm and on a pretty fixed budget.