Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #981
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
I thought I was the only one that experienced YYC’s ridiculous early morning ‘rush’ of flights.

####ing ridiculous.

I check in online the day before, select my seats check my bag so I should have to do it grab a baggage tag and be on my way. Well guess what, Westjet in their infinite wisdom has 1 line/2 desks open for people that have done exactly like I have and prepared in advance. Yet they have 6 or 7 desks open for people that need to still check in. WTF? Ended up taking over half an hour to just dump my checked bag. Rush through the remainder of the ‘process’ to get to the gate as the plan is already boarding. Brutal.

Morning flights I arrive 2.5 hours early and deal with it if I get through in a decent amount of time (usually doesn’t happen).
I flew to Halifax in October, and it took me over an hour and 15 minutes to get my baggage tag and drop my bags off. That is completely unacceptable for a domestic flight, and it was all on Westjet. Simply not enough agents, which in turn screws up security because now they have a backlog of travellers. How in the #### can you not appropriately staff your kiosks when you know months in advance how many travellers you are going to have that day?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #982
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice long walk for the flight crews who are going to be operating out of the new terminal. Crew parking is up by the economy lots on the north side and I'm not sure if there is a direct way to get to the new terminal more directly. Then again, I guess this would apply to passengers who park there too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #983
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazy button pushing pilots can walk.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #984
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kinda wanted to see the new terminal departures level but my transborder flight leaves on Sunday morning. Any chance a few more flights trickle over to the new terminal before Monday?
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #985
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know if there will be renos to the current US wing once the new terminal opens?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #986
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing concrete from the airport authority, but the word is they'll waste no time in starting to rip out transborder stuff that is not longer needed. The wing will ultimately end up getting refreshed, perhaps it will function as the wing for the smaller turboprop flights for both AC and WS?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #987
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Nice long walk for the flight crews who are going to be operating out of the new terminal. Crew parking is up by the economy lots on the north side and I'm not sure if there is a direct way to get to the new terminal more directly. Then again, I guess this would apply to passengers who park there too.
There is a new parking lot a lot closer on the east side of the parkades that staff and crews will be able to park in.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #988
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Lazy button pushing pilots can walk.
You need to be a pilot or an avgeek to understand this.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #989
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boeing versus Squarbu---I mean Airbus.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #990
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/28...et-to-take-off

Final update. BY AMANDA STEPHENSON. Calgary Sun
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #991
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a bunch of the golf carts lined up on the track last night after returning from a trip late. They look stupid.

And I think the whole idea of having a dedicated track for golf carts is dumb.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #992
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I saw a bunch of the golf carts lined up on the track last night after returning from a trip late. They look stupid.

People are stupid and are quite terrible at being aware of their surroundings. The dedicated track helps minimize disruption and aid in the shuttling of last minute transfers.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #993
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was really quiet there today, so I hoped to check out the new area, but it's still mostly sealed off.

I'm a bit nervous about flying out of there just over a week after the opening. Hopefully any issues that arise will be dealt with by then.

Last edited by Amethyst; 10-29-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #994
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm with Reaper on this one. The number of times I've seen the WestJet girls at YEG run over toes, almost hit kids, bags, people running from one end of the terminal to the other in our convoluted airport... glad YYC had the room for dedicated space.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #995
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heading to Seattle for the Monday night game. I'm excited to see it. Hope all goes smoothly.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #996
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet fliers are potentially going to have to do a bit of walking. If you are flying Winnipeg to Calgary tomorrow morning and connecting on to Grand Prairie, your gates are literally 1 kilometer apart... because the plane from Winnipeg is continuing on to San Diego so it's arriving at the international terminal. If arriving from Yellowknife and continuing to Vancouver (which many do) you also have a stupid long walk cause that plane is going on to Houston. This is the concept of a multi-purpose "swing gate" and it's exactly how YYC works currently, but now the swings are just really far from WestJet's main gates.

Tight domestic Encore connections will have to be tweaked... or more likely they won't, and you'll just have to be cautious booking them. The way around this is for WestJet to start towing some airplanes from the D to A gates, but that swallows up a ground crew for 15 minutes and increases ground time for the airplane. Last minute gate changes from A to D gates will run the risk of holding for 15 minutes to round everybody up. A flight off gate 79 will be waiting 15 minutes for the girls on the golf cart to round up a flight attendant coming from a late arriving flight on gate 20 that is 1.3 km away. Good news is that gate changes will be significantly reduced now that they've got a lot more to play with. Again, these are inherent downsides to swing gates that already exist at YYC and YEG but now they're magnified.

It's not the end of the world, but it's something you might have to think about for connecting domestically at YYC with WestJet which you did not have to before. Good luck to YYC tomorrow though, it really is a world class facility.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #997
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
WestJet fliers are potentially going to have to do a bit of walking. If you are flying Winnipeg to Calgary tomorrow morning and connecting on to Grand Prairie, your gates are literally 1 kilometer apart... because the plane from Winnipeg is continuing on to San Diego so it's arriving at the international terminal. If arriving from Yellowknife and continuing to Vancouver (which many do) you also have a stupid long walk cause that plane is going on to Houston. This is the concept of a multi-purpose "swing gate" and it's exactly how YYC works currently, but now the swings are just really far from WestJet's main...
I thought that's what these are for:

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #998
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, hence the "not the end of the world" suffix. The transports are great, but it's still not ideal having domestics go out of the int'l terminal and WestJet plane could have 168 people on it. And flight crews, man... when they have to change planes it does not matter if someone picks them up on a throne and carries them over. Working at YEG for WestJet I remember we had a flight that would go out late every single night waiting for a flight crew from Calgary. They would just take their sweet ass time regardless of how early the flight actually came in and even if the gate was just a couple gates over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 01:14 AM   #999
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It opened at 12:01!!
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #1000
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I love how 660News found the biggest idiot they could for the quotes on their story. Apparently Calgary has "joined the real world" because of the new terminal and the old terminal resembled "Moscow". Clearly he had never been to YEG before their most recent renovations.

http://www.660news.com/2016/10/31/ne...nal-opens-yyc/
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc