Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #2841
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like its done that way to make use of the bridges they have to build and to not have to build more.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #2842
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah especially in a project where they under bid the other guys by $100 million. They're sure as hell not building a flyover that eats 25% of that so if there's no way to get it underneath the 22X bridges without affecting them (or anything else) then it's a no go. I just spent a couple of minutes trying and I don't really see a way.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #2843
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't understand why the off ramp has to curve/loop back on itself. Once that exit way passes over Macleod they should just curve it north so join up with Macleod. Looping it south in a circle is stupid.
That would require at least 2 more bridge structures it looks like, and they have the room.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #2844
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
you can see the existing Glenmore/Sarcee intersection pretty much sits right on the new W-N ramp... if that pavement doesn't need to be at a different elevation it would only have to be a huge mess from maybe the latter part of 2019 till opening.
With the utility work done right beside Sarcee this summer, I bet the existing roadway just becomes the new ramp, almost as is.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #2845
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah especially in a project where they under bid the other guys by $100 million. They're sure as hell not building a flyover that eats 25% of that so if there's no way to get it underneath the 22X bridges without affecting them (or anything else) then it's a no go. I just spent a couple of minutes trying and I don't really see a way.

I don't think that is even close to minimum radius requirements for that ramp
Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #2846
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for all the info Acey!

I've only been on the West side for a few months, but man as soon as September hit Glenmore got terrible. Half the traffic is just from cramming 3 lanes into one going east at the Sarcee interchange, and 2 lanes into one going west on highway 8.

And I don't even drive it in peak times and there's no snow yet!

Let alone to get deep South (which isn't too bad right now), and deep North - very glad this project is happening and on a great timeline too.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #2847
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I don't think that is even close to minimum radius requirements for that ramp
Not even remotely close, the gigantic radius of the other two flyovers is a pretty good indicator of how far off it would be. It does, however, look like they have a few meters to expand the radius of the loop which would help a smidge.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #2848
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Did you find the Glenmore causeway and Elbow/5 Street interchanges to be bad? Did you find Deerfoot and Stoney in the South to be bad? I assume it will be similar. There's lots of land to move the roads around while they do the work.
No, but there were plenty of options to get around GE5 if needed and Stoney/Deerfoot S was already half constructed when the Deerfoot extension was built. Glenmore/Sarcee is a chokepoint. Though as others mentioned, MacLeod/22x will certainly be much worse.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #2849
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the road planning nerdery. Always kind of wanted to take a course in in university.

So would the optimal intersection of two perpendicular roads from a traffic flow perspective and ignoring costs be 4 of those big looping ramps for left turns?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #2850
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Love the road planning nerdery. Always kind of wanted to take a course in in university.

So would the optimal intersection of two perpendicular roads from a traffic flow perspective and ignoring costs be 4 of those big looping ramps for left turns?
I like this setup.

calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #2851
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am still not impressed that the city can't close the loop (literally) with the Glenmore to COP portion left out right now with no time table for completion...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #2852
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

How is the access into Shawnessy shopping are (home depot) going to work with the new interchange? Looks like no in/out access behind Home Depot and no access to the road west of the LRT track off of 22x west.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #2853
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am still not impressed that the city can't close the loop (literally) with the Glenmore to COP portion left out right now with no time table for completion...
Wouldn't it be the province that can't close the loop? 201 is a Provincial highway, after all.

Though really, all three levels of government need to get on that so they can re-align the TCH along Highway 901 and south Stoney/Tsuut'ina Trail.

Incidentally, is there any reason why it is "Tsuut'ina Trail" instead of "Tsuu T'ina Trail"?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #2854
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
How is the access into Shawnessy shopping are (home depot) going to work with the new interchange? Looks like no in/out access behind Home Depot and no access to the road west of the LRT track off of 22x west.
I think there's something up with that rendering as there is no access to Silverado at all for Westbound traffic.

Neither at Sheriff King Road or James McKevet.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #2855
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I like this setup.

Is there a tipping point in climates like ours where increased bridging like the above increases winter deck icing and accidents, thus reducing traffic flow when averaged over the whole year?

Last edited by Bownesian; 10-18-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #2856
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just have to remember to plow from top to bottom.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #2857
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Incidentally, is there any reason why it is "Tsuut'ina Trail" instead of "Tsuu T'ina Trail"?
That is now their preferred spelling.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #2858
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I think there's something up with that rendering as there is no access to Silverado at all for Westbound traffic.

Pretty sure I remember reading that there wont be any access for Silverado at Sherrif King/6th st.

Mckevitt is going to be a full interchange though. And I think the city is planning on extending 194th to Mckevitt (or whatever it's called south of 22x) so that Silverado residents do have a reasonable way to get on to Stoney.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #2859
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

I think this is the current plan for that area:
https://www.transportation.alberta.c...eod-162Ave.pdf
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #2860
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

A stack is the theoretically perfect interchange.

Flyovers could be 2 or more lanes for more capacity if required. Canada has only 1 true stack, in Toronto. Aside from cost, people don't like these because the top level flyovers have to be 25 meters up and it's pretty unsightly, and you just need a ton of land.

If you have unlimited land, you can just swing all the flyovers way out to the side and never need to reach 4 levels, this is sometimes called a "turbine". Here at Stoney/Deerfoot in the NE, you can visualize that if the flyovers went right over the center of the interchange it would be 4 levels, but land is generally plentiful here so there's no need to do it as dirt for embankments is cheaper/easier/safer than 200 meter long monster bridges.

Anthony Henday Drive/Yellowhead Trail in Edmonton is the only interchange in Alberta where two ramps are truly 3rd level, and it's only because there's train tracks and refineries in the way preventing AB Trans' usual style. It's just really expensive.

Anthony Henday Drive at Yellowhead Trail, Edmonton by Acey, on Flickr

You can really see how much of a dump Edmonton is from the top level. It's about 20 meters up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: