Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #281
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it finally open? It's the old Belfry. Been closed for almost a year.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #282
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
the old Malcolm's (main level of fifth avenue place east tower) has become a hawthorne office furniture store...
Maybe part of the former location. Definitely down there as you can see the hoarding with the coming soon up from the plus fifteen. I just assumed it was Malcolm's as it would make sense for a restaurant to be replaced by a restaurant.

Edit: by plus 15 I mean the top of the escalators when headed to the plus 15 to TCPL.

Last edited by Robbob; 06-08-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #283
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Anyone tried this place yet? 8 ave downtown

http://paperstyyc.com/
Food looks interesting but, one local beer on the menu. Another Anhueser-Busch InBev bar.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #284
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Burgs and Sandys?

Spoiler!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #285
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's owned by the Ceilis people, from what I gather. So I wouldn't expect miracles here. A $13 grilled cheese sounds just about right for them.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #286
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Was pretty darn good.
I tried the duck sub this morning. Thanks for the recommendation.

Maybe I am not a regular so I did not get the good stuff. I found the duck old and dry, like it had been sitting around drying out for a day.

I would rather get a 1/4 duck lunchbox for $2 more from BBQ Express if I am looking for duck.

I would have to agree the service at Trung Ngyuen was very friendly.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #287
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

You couldn't get more stereotyical trendy based on that website. From the menu layout to the picture of the tatted chef in fine pressed uniform. Man whoever did the concept here did a wicked ctrl+c > ctrl+v on this one. Pass.

http://www.eater.com/2014/7/24/61817...enu-looks-like
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #288
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

'MOMS GRILLED CHEESE'

You mean made with kraft slices and dipped in ketchup?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #289
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to beat up on the place anymore than we already have, but the beer selection is a big fat meh. They want to seem like they have a big selection, but is there really any point in having 3 or 4 of the same thing? Ya, not everyone can be like Beer Revolution, Craft, or National, but at least try and cover more styles if you are going to have that much draught. Pig and Duke is a good example of having a little bit of everything- and mostly western Canadian breweries.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 06-10-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #290
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Not to beat up on the place anymore than we already have, but the beer selection is a big fat meh. They want to seem like they have a big selection, but is there really any point in having 3 or 4 of the same thing? Ya, not everyone can be like Beer Revolution, Craft, or National, but at least try and cover more styles if you are going to have that much draught. Pig and Duke is a good example of having a little bit of everything- and mostly western Canadian breweries.
They've mislabelled a couple of their draught as well.

They have Red Racer from Germany (LOL!), and Stanley Park from Calgary. Both are from Vancouver area.

Looks like standard fare but I'll probably end up trying the place if I'm in the area.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #291
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's owned by the Ceilis people, from what I gather. So I wouldn't expect miracles here. A $13 grilled cheese sounds just about right for them.
If that's the case, then I'm going to avoid the place altogether. Unless I want overpriced beer and food and exceptionally terrible service.

Pig and Duke it is. They've gone up in price in the last bit but at least their food is good and their beer selection is great.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #292
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Ate at Ten Foot Henry's on Tuesday night.

Was beyond excellent. Vegetable forward menu for the meat haters on the forum. Highly recommend and they know how to make a cocktail.
Ate there last Friday but was quite disappointed. The chicken was an absolute salt bomb (probably over-brined), and the Gai lan was devoid of flavor even with their sauce. While the Salmon was cooked perfectly, it was also very under seasoned (the limited quantity of sauce didnt do much to solve this), and the extremely overcooked "chorizo" slices that accompanied the salmon were these awful hard discs that tasted like reconstituted beef jerky. The spicy potatoes and avocado chocolate pie were good, but nothing mind blowing.

Also pretty expensive for mediocre food wrapped in faux hipster veneer that doesn't use pricey ingredients. Our bill was ~80$ for this, feeding two people without alcohol.

I appreciate the need for some variety in the Calgary food scene, but once people see past the novelty this is a meh restaurant at best.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #293
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
They've mislabelled a couple of their draught as well.

They have Red Racer from Germany (LOL!), and Stanley Park from Calgary. Both are from Vancouver area.

Looks like standard fare but I'll probably end up trying the place if I'm in the area.
It seems to be standard that Goose Island is the only IPA a lot of adjunct lager pubs carry- I wonder if that is because they can get Goose Island at a good price or because it is a fairly tame IPA that more people might get.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #294
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems to be standard that Goose Island is the only IPA a lot of adjunct lager pubs carry- I wonder if that is because they can get Goose Island at a good price or because it is a fairly tame IPA that more people might get.
Yeah - goose island was bought as far as I know, so you see it all the chain places now
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #295
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure it's a Molson product now. Used to be from Chicago, now brewed in Edmonton. No good.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #296
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I said it earlier. Anheuser Busch InBev Bar. Mill Street, Goose Island, Stanley Park all owned by the conglomerate. If it weren't for Sleeman Honey Brown (Sapporo) and Red Racer (Germany? LOL) you would think they only talked to one sales guy.

Last edited by Barnes; 06-10-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #297
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Ate there last Friday but was quite disappointed. The chicken was an absolute salt bomb (probably over-brined), and the Gai lan was devoid of flavor even with their sauce. While the Salmon was cooked perfectly, it was also very under seasoned (the limited quantity of sauce didnt do much to solve this), and the extremely overcooked "chorizo" slices that accompanied the salmon were these awful hard discs that tasted like reconstituted beef jerky. The spicy potatoes and avocado chocolate pie were good, but nothing mind blowing.

Also pretty expensive for mediocre food wrapped in faux hipster veneer that doesn't use pricey ingredients. Our bill was ~80$ for this, feeding two people without alcohol.

I appreciate the need for some variety in the Calgary food scene, but once people see past the novelty this is a meh restaurant at best.
Well we had completely different experiences at Ten Foot Henry, so I will continue to rave about this restaurant and their food. Local ingredients, simple food with great flavours.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #298
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
You couldn't get more stereotyical trendy based on that website. From the menu layout to the picture of the tatted chef in fine pressed uniform. Man whoever did the concept here did a wicked ctrl+c > ctrl+v on this one. Pass.

Nawww..... the bike lane and tax increases are what's going to doom that place.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #299
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it a pub? the menu looks like a completely average pub menu, nothing exactly special on there.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #300
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure I'll end up there, as there isn't a lot on the west end of 8th for choices, and i work nearby. Will report back on the disappointing service and high prices soon!

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business