Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #61
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, and that is pretty much what I hate about online multiplayer. Especially Ashasx's experience. One of the reasons I tend to enjoy Splatoon and MK8 a little more - you can't really communicate with other players, so you can't be a dick to them.

But, I picked it up anyway, because Blizzard and because it looks rather whimsical for a shooter. Worst case, I'll hate it and trade it in for 1/4 the purchase price.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #62
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not very good at shooters, but I can at least find a couple heroes that I can play decently without feeling like a liability. They all play very different (but some heroes are a lot less useful depending on whether you're offence or defence and the game type).

Still though, I just don't understand why people are so grumpy online.

Last edited by Ashasx; 06-02-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #63
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's funny too, because most people don't realize that thanks to the hidden MMR, they are being paired with people who "suck" because they suck.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #64
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Are the numbers besides the players in the select screen their level? I noticed late last night I was getting on teams with people in their 20s and 30s if that is the case.

I need to at least go through all champs in training to learn their abilities more.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #65
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having fun with Winston, really being more patient in timing when to fly into the fray and harass the backline. Certainly not a bad choice on either Attack/Defense. Zone Capture is a bit eh since most maps split the backline and the vanguard a bit which you would think is a good thing if your focus is on the support, but would much rather poke and run as my teammates continue to apply pressure from the front.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #66
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Having fun with Winston, really being more patient in timing when to fly into the fray and harass the backline. Certainly not a bad choice on either Attack/Defense. Zone Capture is a bit eh since most maps split the backline and the vanguard a bit which you would think is a good thing if your focus is on the support, but would much rather poke and run as my teammates continue to apply pressure from the front.
Yup he's great. Love using him to destroy snipers and other squishy offensive heroes. I spent an entire game beating the tar out of a Hanzo to the point where he said Winston is a no skill hero. I have to laugh at people totally unwilling to switch things up. Adapt or die scrub. Thanks for the free kills.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #67
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially given the number of complaints about being a weak character (guilty).
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #68
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tried D.Va last night for the first time - she's a lot of fun. Love the ability to go Titanfall and blow up your mech. Works great when a team is capping a point - park in the middle and detonate.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #69
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Yup he's great. Love using him to destroy snipers and other squishy offensive heroes. I spent an entire game beating the tar out of a Hanzo to the point where he said Winston is a no skill hero. I have to laugh at people totally unwilling to switch things up. Adapt or die scrub. Thanks for the free kills.
Yep, he could've just switched to DVA and destroyed your Winston.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #70
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Overwatch: Or How I Stopped Worrying And Gave Blizz More Money

I've been playing Winston as well and realized I was using him incorrectly initially. He's definitely all about mobility and disruption as opposed to getting in the fray like a bullet sponge and getting a bunch of kills.

My only issue is that I do still have problems picking my spots with him and often end up dead. I also can't seem to get on the voting card or nab a play of the game with him yet.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #71
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll only use Winston when I feel like he's set up to excel against a certain team. Enemy teams that rely on a Reinhardt as their main tank get eaten up by Winston. So if he's in play along with a sniper or 2 and a Genji then Winston is primed to severely disrupt their game. I don't seem to encounter any issues matching up against D.Va. She's similar to Reinhardt in that her shield can't block Winston's Tesla cannon so if you drop your barrier and shoot her through it you're doing damage and she isn't.

So far I've found the best way to use him is to either take down a lone character (like a sniper) or to jump into a group of enemies, drop the shield and try to kill someone valuable like a Mercy or Genji before jumping back out.

His ultimate doesn't seem very useful for securing kills and I have yet to knock a player off a cliff but triggering it when you're close to death is a good way to get back to full health so you can stay in the fight.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #72
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #73
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Best POTG ever

The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #74
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That honest trailer...

"...as you choose from a variety of real dick moves to perpetrate on your enemies..."

Old 06-06-2016, 02:25 AM   #75
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Well played about 5hrs worth, starting to get the hang of it, although I seem to fare better as a backline guy shooting from a distance, my reaction time is just crap compared to you younglings. Fun game, definitely worth the purchase.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #76
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Been having fun with D.Va. Most people seem to think that I'm dead when the mech goes. So they leave me alone as I harry them from the side or behind with my piddly little hand blster until I can suit up again.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #77
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had an awesome play of the game with Reinhardt on the weekend. I was the first man back after a wipe with only a few meters left to go on the payload. Pull up the shield and am taking a lot of heat from the four offense characters they have sitting on the payload -- enough to finish charging my ultimate. Unleashed it and knocked down all four, then charged in with my hammer and took three of them out before pushing the payload the last couple meters to win the game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #78
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Had an awesome play of the game with Reinhardt on the weekend. I was the first man back after a wipe with only a few meters left to go on the payload. Pull up the shield and am taking a lot of heat from the four offense characters they have sitting on the payload -- enough to finish charging my ultimate. Unleashed it and knocked down all four, then charged in with my hammer and took three of them out before pushing the payload the last couple meters to win the game.
Similar one as McCree. Hollywood map, car is feet away from the goal. I'm the first one back and I go high, top right balcony. Go high noon as I turn the corner and take out 4 enemies surrounding the car, then drop down and pocket sand Hanzo before unloading 6 rounds into his face

Been a long time since I've had this much fun with an FPS game
Old 06-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #79
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is this better than TF2?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #80
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's hard to say. I'd say so, but TF2 has also been out so long that Overwatch feels at least more refreshing. The class abilities are quite a bit more dynamic than in TF2.

TF2 has the option for larger teams, which some people may prefer. TF2 also has a lot more customization in terms of class play style (changing your weapon in TF2 often completely changes the class). But of course TF2 has been out a lot longer and has had years to add these features.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote