Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #781
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

If you go the hole saw route use a small bit to drill a pilot hole the entire way through. Then drill 3/4 of the way through from one side and then switch to the other side to finish the hole. That way no tearout/splintering/blowout. If you cannot do the double side method then clamp on a sacrificial piece onto the side that will blowout and drill through and into the scarficical piece. The sp will keep pressure on the melamine thus reducing the potential for blowout.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #782
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

I don't think the IKEA Gallant line is melamine, but a thin veneer over particle board. At least mine was.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #783
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Has anyone here ever cut somewhat larger holes into Ikea MDF (or whatever their particle board is)?

I bought a Galant printer cabinet for my UPS, NAS and possibly other components and I have a feeling its going to get too hot in there, so I need to cut some holes for cabinet coolers. I don't need the lines to be perfect, I just want to make sure it doesn't create massive cracks.

The cabinet is put together, so I was thinking of just using a jigsaw, but I'm wondering if something else will do a better job?
I've cut holes into Ikea Besta for exactly the same thing - I think both they and Galant are veneer over melamine. I used a variety of hole saws sizes.

The cutting side cuts pretty clean - I recommend using a hole saw size that uses a drill bit pilot as it minimizes the "skating" as the hole saw takes bite.

The exit side tends to suffer a lot of "tear out" which you could minimize by drilling from the other side using the aforementioned pilot hole and hole saw.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #784
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestion guys, although a hole saw is not going to do the job as I need to cut more of a rectangle...a fairly large one as well at 14" x 5". So I think it needs to be with something like a jigsaw or perhaps a Fein Multimaster type thing.

Taping it off sounds like a good idea. I don't necessarily need the edges to be perfect, as part of the cooler over overlaps the actual cutout, but hopefully it can avoid some giant splinter in the veneer.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #785
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a little Dremel Saw that would probably be perfect for the job. Maybe a jig saw and tape the area you're going to cut.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #786
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion guys, although a hole saw is not going to do the job as I need to cut more of a rectangle...a fairly large one as well at 14" x 5". So I think it needs to be with something like a jigsaw or perhaps a Fein Multimaster type thing.

Taping it off sounds like a good idea. I don't necessarily need the edges to be perfect, as part of the cooler over overlaps the actual cutout, but hopefully it can avoid some giant splinter in the veneer.
If you want to stop by the shop tomorrow we could take the festool tracksaw for a rip!

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #787
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, as tempting as that it would be to see a sweet Festool in action, unfortunately the unit is already assembled, so I don't think a tracksaw wouldn't really work.

V, the Dremel is a good idea too. I think in reality it will have to be something of that handheld nature.

I'll let you guys now how it went.

Last edited by Table 5; 01-01-2016 at 08:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #788
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Good luck

Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #789
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a motion sensor light for outdoors where the sensor isn't attached to the light fixture. Do those exist? I need to place it about 10ft from the light. Oh, also would like it to have 2 sensors....
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #790
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I need a motion sensor light for outdoors where the sensor isn't attached to the light fixture. Do those exist? I need to place it about 10ft from the light. Oh, also would like it to have 2 sensors....
Yup, google remote motion sensor. Plenty of wireless and wired options.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #791
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, as tempting as that it would be to see a sweet Festool in action, unfortunately the unit is already assembled, so I don't think a tracksaw wouldn't really work.

V, the Dremel is a good idea too. I think in reality it will have to be something of that handheld nature.

I'll let you guys now how it went.
If you need one of these, there is one a block away from you:

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #792
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

A block away? Ugh, but I want it here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #793
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm having issues with my dishwasher where they dishes are just not getting clean. I checked out a few things and it looks like the drain hose is very dirty, and likely not pumping out all the dirty water before it bring in new water for the next wash / rinse cycle.

My issue is I don't really know why this is happening. I've got the high loop installed under my sink so I don't think that's the issue. Is it possible the drain hose is too long? I need to buy two standard ones from Home Depot (10ft I think) to make it reach from the dishwasher to the sink. That's the only thing I can think off, but I don't want to try a somewhat difficult solution (where I simply extend some plumbing behind the dishwasher so the drain hose is shorter) if that's not the issue.

EDIT: I did replace the dirty drain hose about 6 months ago as I thought it was just the fact that the old owners hadn't done that in a long time. However, it's just as dirty again in that short amount of time.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #794
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'm having issues with my dishwasher where they dishes are just not getting clean. I checked out a few things and it looks like the drain hose is very dirty, and likely not pumping out all the dirty water before it bring in new water for the next wash / rinse cycle.

My issue is I don't really know why this is happening. I've got the high loop installed under my sink so I don't think that's the issue. Is it possible the drain hose is too long? I need to buy two standard ones from Home Depot (10ft I think) to make it reach from the dishwasher to the sink. That's the only thing I can think off, but I don't want to try a somewhat difficult solution (where I simply extend some plumbing behind the dishwasher so the drain hose is shorter) if that's not the issue.

EDIT: I did replace the dirty drain hose about 6 months ago as I thought it was just the fact that the old owners hadn't done that in a long time. However, it's just as dirty again in that short amount of time.
This is where Google/YouTube will be your best friend. A couple things I'd look at would be:

1) Run the dishwasher and listen to the motor, if it sounds labored or any other odd noise, that would be a good starting point.

2) Check the drain leading to the hose for any clogs or build up. With all the water going through it I'd imagine calcium build up could be an issue, causing dirty water to slosh around instead of rinsing.

3) Always rinse off your dishes (if you dont) before putting them in. Sauces and especially bacon grease are terrible on any plumbing.

Good luck!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:56 AM   #795
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Don't know if you've already made the hole, but when I was making an MDF stand a few years ago I used a combination of a hole saw and a router to get some nice results. Used the hole saw to make large holes at either end of the rectangular-ish hole I wanted, then used the router with some clamped-on guides to create straight cuts between the edges of the holes.

Maybe not the best tools for the job, but I worked with what I had.

Couple of pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/6rOR1

I used 4 holes in the corners of the large rectangle in the top, 2 at the ends of each of the narrower holes. Interestingly, the large hole is for the same purpose you need: ventilation. I custom built this as a computer stand for my very large 800D case with fans set up to pull from the large grill on the bottom. Holes in the back for cable management.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #796
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I just installed a humidifier on my furnace yesterday, since the humidity level in my house has been down in the mid-low 20's during the winter. The instructions are pretty detailed about what level to aim for, and I was wondering how often most people adjust the humidistat based on the temperature outside, or even if some just set it and forget it?
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #797
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually set and forget for the season. In the spring/summer I'll adjust, and again fall/winter.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #798
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys. Looking for a bit of advice on laying laminate flooring on a concrete floor in a basement.

I saw a video where they laid down a vapour barrier first. Is that necessary?

Second, has anyone used the manual laminate 'choppers'? Here is a pic:

Thanks.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #799
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Hey guys. Looking for a bit of advice on laying laminate flooring on a concrete floor in a basement.

I saw a video where they laid down a vapour barrier first. Is that necessary?

Second, has anyone used the manual laminate 'choppers'? Here is a pic:

Thanks.
Vapor barrier, yes.

Get a mitre saw and a good blade would be my recommendation. Faster and I'd assume a cleaner cut.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #800
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Vapor barrier, yes.

Get a mitre saw and a good blade would be my recommendation. Faster and I'd assume a cleaner cut.
^This... also consider leveling the concrete first.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post: