The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
http://calgaryherald.com/business/re...n-calgary-area

Lefty will be in town from Sep 9-10. If you buy into his new golf course for $15K, you might be able to meet and greet him while he's here.
i wonder if he is stretching the truth on how the memberships are moving thus far. to me it seems surprising to move that many memberships given the cost and the ultimate uncertainty about annual dues agaianst a backdrop of nothing but a somewhat rough short term future for the city's main industry.....

as an aside, anyone know exactly where this course is being built? i hope it will have a bias for us lefties.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

The course will be build at Harmony which is basically Springbank Airport. That being said why build a new community near an airport even if only a small one is my question.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golf courses near airports make a lot of sense, they make good use of land that otherwise is not very developable.

Housing developments / communities make very little sense near airports.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i wonder if he is stretching the truth on how the memberships are moving thus far. to me it seems surprising to move that many memberships given the cost and the ultimate uncertainty about annual dues agaianst a backdrop of nothing but a somewhat rough short term future for the city's main industry.....
I'm not sure 60-65 memberships would be strong. It's also only $15,000. That seems ridiculously cheap for a private golf membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm not sure 60-65 memberships would be strong. It's also only $15,000. That seems ridiculously cheap for a private golf membership.
I wonder if it's an equity membership or not.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I am guessing it would be the same as the hamptons
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.mickelsonnational.com/doc...ackage_web.pdf

It is equity membership for 15K at Mickelson National.

Anyone knows what "80% Refundability of the membership deposit" means on page 6 of the PDF?

Does it mean I pay $15K now and can get 80% back when I decide to leave the club?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Are most private courses in Calgary equity memberships? In Vancouver, most are not. Quilchena has an equity option, but it is substantially more, and no one will ever buy it because they are so far below how many members they need, the club will sell you an non-equity one for much cheaper. I have been told they are also looking to sell the course because they are so far in debt, are bleeding members, and the dues and assessments keep going up.

The three big courses in Vancouver (Shaughnessy, Marine Drive and Point Grey), as well as Capilano in West Vancouver and the Vancouver Golf Club in Burnaby all offer non-equity memberships from $65,000 - $85,000. I think Capilano is still on an 8 year waiting list. The other lists are smaller, possibly even immediate if you paid in full.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #10
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Are most private courses in Calgary equity memberships? In Vancouver, most are not.
I think they are but I haven't checked out a lot of them. The competition for Private Golfers is fierce these days in Calgary. Several courses are Equity but are Semi-Private. I was looking at the Hamptons and it seems they allow non members to play.

17: Besides Club Members, their families and guests, who else can use the Club Facilities?
The Company will permit unaccompanied outside guests on a daily basis to play the golf course on such terms and conditions as the Company determines appropriate. While the Company permits unaccompanied outside guest play on a daily basis, such play shall be managed so as to provide Members, their families and guests with the highest access levels. The Company reserves the right, but not the obligation, to reduce or eliminate unaccompanied outside guest play at anytime in its discretion. If the Company exercises such right, the number of available memberships in the Club may be increased by the Company in its discretion.The Company may also enter into reciprocal use privileges.

Does that sound Semi Private??
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calgary G&CC, Glencoe, Canyon Meadows, and Pinbrook are non-equity clubs. Priddis, Cottonwood, and Carnmoney are equity membership clubs. It's a mixed bag as there are some interesting semi-private setups now as well.

Last I head about Capilano is that their waitlist had shrunk considerably, as is the case happening with most private clubs (including prestigious clubs like St. George and Royal Hamilton). If rumours are true, Calgary GCC and Rosedale in Toronto are the only clubs with 5+ year waitlists left, and given the price of oil, Calgary will likely drop off as well. Things aren't super peachy for even the nicest private clubs these days.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^CGCC has a 5 year wait? I don't understand. Every other course you listed is infinitely more fun than CGCC (well, maybe not Carmoney hehe). Is the demand based on the social aspect?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The three big courses in Vancouver (Shaughnessy, Marine Drive and Point Grey),
Shaugnessy is the only one of that list that is non equity. The land is leased from an indian band. The other two are member owned.
DoubleK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Shaugnessy is the only one of that list that is non equity. The land is leased from an indian band. The other two are member owned.
That's not what equity means. I'm a member of Marine Drive and I can assure you I do not have an equity stake in the club.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #15
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was excited for the Mickelson course until I realized it's in cooperation with Windmill. That group seems like they cut as many corners as possible. Certainly potential but I worry it will become a running joke like Silverwing, Boulder Creek, and Springbank are. The reactions from PGA players, pundits, and fans if the course ended up in conditions anything even similar to those would be epic. It would make Chambers Bay look like Augusta in comparison.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #16
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
^CGCC has a 5 year wait? I don't understand. Every other course you listed is infinitely more fun than CGCC (well, maybe not Carmoney hehe). Is the demand based on the social aspect?
Social aspect, location and exclusivity would be the biggest factors. It is truly a place where you can make connections, it is easy to get to if you live in the inner city and keeping the membership limited means you have the best tee access of any course in the area.

It also has better corporate membership packages than the other clubs can offer (location and social aspect), so they get a really nice boost from that as well.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Does it mean I pay $15K now and can get 80% back when I decide to leave the club?
So the 80% refundability does mean that you'll get 80% of the $15K back if you decide to resign your membership down the road.

The catch is the GC will only refund you the money after they've sold your membership. And for a new GC, you could be waiting a while to get your money back.

If it all works out, it's not a bad deal because your cost is only $15K x 20%=$3K.

Talked to a Hamptons member and he said the reason they sold out the Hamptons memberships in 2 months was because when Windmill bought Hamptons, the old Hamptons' members got paid out. And then some or many of them bought back the membership at a great price ($15K with first annual fee waived).
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I was excited for the Mickelson course until I realized it's in cooperation with Windmill. That group seems like they cut as many corners as possible. Certainly potential but I worry it will become a running joke like Silverwing, Boulder Creek, and Springbank are. The reactions from PGA players, pundits, and fans if the course ended up in conditions anything even similar to those would be epic. It would make Chambers Bay look like Augusta in comparison.
They also own Hamptons which is a nice course.

And I have no qualms with Springbank. But you are 100% right with silverwing and boulder creek.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #19
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
And I have no qualms with Springbank. But you are 100% right with silverwing and boulder creek.
Windmill seems to favour quantity over quality. I'm not sure people buying into Hamptons or Mickelson will be interested to travel a fair bit to play Boulder Creek. Dubious marketing approach if you ask me.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

comeone morning tee time at the Hamptons, lunch in the clubhouse and then an afternoon tee time and the beautiful and somewhat luxuirous Bolder Creek.......insert "wha-wha-wha" trumbone sound now......

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow